Motoring Discussion > E10 petrol Green Issues
Thread Author: .... Replies: 6

E10 petrol - ....
I was out this morning on the bike blowing the cobwebs off when I noticed E10 Super at the local filling station. Just had a quick surf and it appears the four big manufacturers from Japan (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki) do not recommend its use in their bikes.

I then has a look here:
tinyurl.com/5u4x9ry (Link to thegreencarwebsite.co.uk)

"Any vehicles that are not able to run on E10 will still be able to use the five per cent variety until it is phased out in 2013."

The last sentence means either mods or no bike in two years time.
 E10 petrol - ....
A bit of further reading reveals this new environmentally friendly fuel will increase fuel consumption by around 1.5% so you'll be buying more of it too.

www.myvan.com/2011/03/16/10-percent-ethanol-in-petrol/

In Germany, the oil companies have had to drop the price as an incentive to get people to start using it:
www.thelocal.de/national/20110319-33825.html
 E10 petrol - Stuu
Funny you mention E10. My sister was saying its the 'value range' fuel in Australia and their 08 Camry runs OK on it, but it may be they have adapted to it over there already.
 E10 petrol - ....
From what I've read 90% of cars should be OK. Tough if you're in the other 10%.
With the bike, I'll have to run new pipe from the tank to the carbs, it is also recommended to have a coating added to the tank (metal). Not sure about the diaphragms in the carbs. After a couple of tanks it'll be time for a new filter too.
Then I'll be able to run four carbs without a cat burning more fuel to save the environment.
 E10 petrol - Mike Hannon
95E10 has been around in France for a while now, usually a few cents cheaper. But the other day I was filling up at Leclerc when I saw a sign saying from April 1 all 95 would be E10 and for engines older than 10 years there would be a pump marked 'ethanol'. I'm still not sure what that means but I know Honda says no to E10 for the Prelude and the Jaguar handbook definitely says it's OK for the V12. I've heard odd stories about E10 gumming up fuel systems and suchlike and I don't regard the future with much confidence.
Just when I was starting to think it might be financially worthwhile to use 95 in both cars - both manufacturers say 95 is adequate - I'm thinking now I'll stick with 98, as long as I can get it.
 E10 petrol - Skoda
E10's not the end of the world, and if it becomes easy to find in the UK, i'd have no qualms remapping the car for it.

More powwwwwerrrrrrr! :-)
 E10 petrol - ....
I'd be interested in the results if you do.

From my understanding (which is probably well wide of the mark as usual) you need to increase the compression ratio to really take advantage of the alcohol but then you'd need a bigger fuel tank or you'll just be sprinting from petrol station to petrol station.

May as well buy a bike, experience some real performance and pay for home delivery if you buy anything bigger than a toothbrush ;-)
Latest Forum Posts