Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 16

Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - Auntie Lockbrakes
Any of you got any experience of the VW Fox?

I'm off to Denmark for 2 weeks later this week and car hire there costs a bomb. But then I bagged a good deal with a major hire company for a "VW Fox or similar". I guess I won't be popping over the border to stretch its legs on the German autobahn..?!

Had a Lupo 1.0E about 10 years ago, mind you, and that was a fine wee car, so maybe there's hope. Either way, surely things must turn out better than the Chevy Matiz 0.8 that the number 1 hire car company provided me with in France last Autumn?
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - Focusless
>> a "VW Fox or similar"
>>
>> Either way surely things must turn out better than the Chevy Matiz 0.8

I reckon 'or similar' includes the Matiz, so keep your fingers crossed :)
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - Stuu
Somebody is sooo getting Matiz ;-)
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - Old Navy
I hope the hire company doesn't have one VW Fox and hundreds of Matizsssss. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 12:27
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - ....
>> Somebody is sooo getting Matiz ;-)
>>
On German plates so no one lets him out at junctions.
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - Boxsterboy
Given a choice between a Matiz and a Fox I would be praying for an upgrade. That's what usually happens to me when I book the cheapest car!
I'll let you all know over the weekend..! I haven't had any free upgrades from any of the car rental companies these past few years. I did pay to upgrade from the allocated effete red Micra to the new Merc C180 at Gatwick last year, but paid the price :-(

Fingers crossed the Matiz is not even imported into little ol' Denmark...!

Aside, I know why Toyota's sales are still strong around here: 50% of the cars on the road in NZ's south island last week were rental Corolla/Aurises. The number 1 rental company also has a lot of new Mazda 3s on its fleet. Ugly. Exterior looks more like a Peugeot every time I see one. But hey, better than a Matiz :-)
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - Runfer D'Hills
I advance hired a "Fiesta" sized car at Billund airport last year I think it was. They gave me a Touran. Not exactly an exciting upgrade but comfortable and pleasant enough.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 21:16
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - tyro
I booked a "Volkswagen Fox or similar" from Hertz at Munich a couple of years ago, having decided to book whatever was cheapest.

When I got to the desk, I was offered a choice between a Fiat Panda and a Peugeot 107. I took the Fiat. Not a bad car, though I would have liked something both bigger and more powerful.

I used to always get upgrades, but recently I have tended to get what I booked.
Last edited by: tyro on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 21:41
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - Citroënian
Best upgrade I ever had was in Corsica a good few years back 02-03 I think.

Had booked a Laguna and the agent was very apologetic saying he didn't have one, but I could have a Scenic RX4...or an Avantime. Took his hand off, was only a couple of weeks after the Avantime launch, brilliant car.
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - Avant
Last year in NZ we were hired a 1.8 Corolla (Auris in UK) - very lively and a much better car than the road testers would have us believe. Why Toyota won't let us have the 1.8 in the UK is known only to themselves - and they wonder why it doesn't sell well here.

In S. Africa last month we had a Corolla saloon which I think was a 1.3 - an engine which goes very well in a Yaris but completely gutless in the Corolla.

I think the Matiz is gradually being replaced by the Spark - not admired by road testers so far but I haven't tried one.
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - JohnM{P}
Compared to my own 1.0 Lupo, the courtesy car Fox I had once was quieter and more relaxed, but blander...
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - car bore
It also has a parcel shelf made from pineapples!
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - Bagpuss
>> It also has a parcel shelf made from pineapples!

As is the roof lining!
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - Alanovich
I once booked a "Citroen C1 or similar" from a German airport.

I got a Merc C Class estate. First time I'd driven at an indicated 200kph, and it did feel somewhat at its limit. Faster stuff was still tearing past me.
Yippee, it's not a Matiz!

Was offered a Panda, which suits me fine. So why did I agree to pay 3 quid/day more for a Fiat 500?! It's smaller, less practical, but brand new and very urban-chic in black. But what's this business of having a glass roof that doesn't open??

The stop-start technology caught me out the first time too. Won't any fuel savings be offset by the cost of a worn-out starter motor in 3-4 years' time?!

No question that the Panda is a better all-rounder IMHO.
 Volkswagen Fox - What can I look forward to?! - Avant
I think I'd have done the same. A 500 looks as if it's going to be more fun to drive than a Panda - although with similar mechanicals it probably isn't. But I'd want to find out.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 28 Mar 10 at 21:28
Latest Forum Posts