Motoring Discussion > First service, anything to watch out for? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 36

First service, anything to watch out for? - SteelSpark
I am taking my Mondeo in for it's first year service tomorrow. They have asked me if I have any concerns and I have told them that I think the headlight level is wrong (I have to set it to the maximum dip, to avoid blinding other drivers).

Should I expect that they will try to charge me for the headlight check, or any fix (it was like it when I bought it, but I didn't take it back, and that was six months ago).

Is there anything that I should watch out for?

As always, I like to be forewarned :)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 First service, anything to watch out for? - RattleandSmoke
Should be covered under warranty.

Check your brake pads, discs and tyres before you take it. Then if you know the pads/discs etc are in good order and they start telling you otherwise you know they are taking the mick.

Having said that a friend of mine has taken her six year old 70k Clio to a Renault dealer this morning. It has passed every MOT and all the car has ever had new front tyres/discs/pads under a my orders not an MOT and it failed on the hazard light switch.

I would therefore be surprised if they could find anything wrong with the Mondeo that is not covered under warranty or is normal wear and tear such as tyres

Renault dealers have a bad reputation but my friends (she is female) experience is they are very honest. Ford dealers in genera have a better reputation so I am sure you will be fine.
 First service, anything to watch out for? - Iffy
Loose turbo intercooler pipes are a known problem with Ford diesels.

Particularly when, as in my case, the garage undoes one and then fails to do it up again.
 First service, anything to watch out for? - L'escargot
To avoid any misunderstanding, be sure to specify anything that you don't want doing. I buy screenwash by the gallon so I always say "No screenwash fluid, thank you". Also I keep my spare at a high pressure, so I request that they don't adjust its pressure.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 20 Mar 10 at 07:59
Thanks for this.

Following up on what L'escargot said, should I specifically tell them to not do anything that will cost me, without checking with me first?

Not sure what the process is here. When I drop the car off I guess that somebody will speak to me and try to get me to take up all of the basics extras like A/C recondition, pollen filter etc
 First service, anything to watch out for? - Bellboy
surely a fully franchised main dealer would only attempt to do extra work after they have the customers agreement?
its not like going to a non franchised place is it where they are obviously going to nick the engine once you leave...........
 First service, anything to watch out for? - Falkirk Bairn
Check they will use the right oil spec - last year local Nissan dealer was doing a deal on service - about £40 less than others - they used semi-synthetic and not the fully synthetic used when the car was new.

The car was returned, oil drained and correct oil used - took ages - 3/4 hr arguing, 1/2 hr waiting and then 1/2 hr for mechanic to get oil changed and invoice amended!!
...should I specifically tell them to not do anything that will cost me, without checking with me first?...

They should work that way as Bellboy, possibly with some irony, says, but there's no harm in mentioning it.

Apart from your concern over the headlights, there doesn't seem to be much wrong with the car, so I'd be inclined to let them get on with it.

In terms of getting a decent job done, you can't do much more than take it back to the franchised garage it came from, and conduct yourself in a straightforward and affable manner when you get there.

I'm sure you've done/will do that, so all should be well.

It's your only car, and one which cost you a lot of money.

From the dealer's point of view, it's one of many, and a service on a Mondeo is something they really ought to do well as a matter of routine.

First service, anything to watch out for? - Zero
The details of whats covered at the first service is in your service book. Dont skimp on having the pollen filter changed if it says it should be changed. A lot of them look like disgusting breeding grounds for filth after a year or two.

Just tell the service receptionist tyhe washer bottle is topped up and you dont want anything added in it, you dont want any petrol ( or diesel) treatment, you dont want any air con deodouriser. Give her a writtne list of the faults you have had or problems you have and tell her you expect them to be resolved under warranty,

It wont need pads or disks after only one year unless you have done megmiles. Anything they say about tyres just say thanks for the info i wil have it done elsewhere.

Simples!
Its times like this I miss having a company car

"ring ring - hello leasing company, the car needs a service, have someone come round and get it and leave a loaner at the door"

"yes sir - when would it be convenient for you"

Sigh!
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 20 Mar 10 at 12:13
 First service, anything to watch out for? - Fursty Ferret
Do main dealers still charge for screenwash? Mine went in (VW) to have a leaky plenum chamber dealt with and they washed it, topped up all the fluids, and valeted it for free. Still had to cough up £250 on labour though which might explain why they did it!
 First service, anything to watch out for? - spamcan61
>> The details of whats covered at the first service is in your service book.
>>

I think we were having this discussion about this car just before the BR fell over. Someone posted links to the Ford dealer paperwork, as usual the service book didn't say anything useful.

From what I recall the 200 quid service consisted of an oil and filter change and basic checking of tyres , lights and brakes. That was about it. No inspection of auxiliary drive belts, steering or anything else.
 First service, anything to watch out for? - crocks
Here's a link to Ford's online Technical and Information Services where you should be able to find out what each service entails.

www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/serviceScheduleForm.do
 First service, anything to watch out for? - sherlock47
Interestingly I looked at one particular schedule, it listed to specifically check interior boot light &under bonnet light, but nowhere could I see an instruction that they check all exterior lights from outside the vehicle! (only from inside?)

No comments on brake pedal travel feel or travel. (But do check/adjust clutch!)

They even instructed the grease monkey to drive into the workshop!(at the begining)!

I get the impression that an MoT test is probably more comprehensive!

Last edited by: pmh on Sat 20 Mar 10 at 16:35
> No inspection of auxiliary drive belts, steering or anything else.

Why would they? they rarely go wrong at that age. The first service on modern cars is nothing more than an oil change. Been like that for years.
 First service, anything to watch out for? - Bellboy
>> > No inspection of auxiliary drive belts steering or anything else.
>>
>> Why would they? they rarely go wrong at that age.
>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>thats like saying the titanic was unsinkable though isnt it
look at it from a different angle,the cars a year old you know zilch about cars anyway and you take it to the dealer (franchised remember coz franchised knows best) so that man in white coat can see thats its safe to drive although he wont drive it further than the ramp and tick some little boxes that the sales manager has kindly got lucy in reception to print up so they can upsell and then they can change your oil and filter for a very reasonable £200 smackers..............................................................

now if it went to a non franchised dealer with a reputation for looking after its customers and greasing that brake pipe,checking that clip and advising the customer that so and so should be done under warranty and needs returning you might feel that you got value for money and a rapport with the owner of the business
obviously no tea or coffee here and the receptionist is named dave and he has dirty overalls on because he can multitask and know what a left handed track rod end looks like

but hey what the heck :-)
Dave with the greasy overalls dont do warranty work

Sorry Dave
 First service, anything to watch out for? - Fullchat
Looked at the Focus service schedule 1 year / 12500 miles. Brakes are checked with wheels on. Its is not until the 2 year service that brakes are checked with wheels off.
So when you get that puncture at 23 months whilst still on the original rubber can you get that wheel off in the pouring rain at the roadside? No not without some persuasion!
For me little tasks like removing wheels at regular intervals and some preventative maintenance should be mandatory.
 First service, anything to watch out for? - henry k
>>For me little tasks like removing wheels at regular intervals and some preventative maintenance should be mandatory.
>>
A good reminder!
The OP maybe is not so familiar with the oily bits as some of us.
I hope I am not insulting him .... This is not usually part of a standard service
Quite a few cars do not have the wheel nuts correctly torqued ( done up).
That is they are too tight. Not often a problem until the wheel needs removing and then the not so fun and brute force is required ( by the AA man?)
By getting all the wheel nust loosened and the correctly torque applied should avoid cursing at a later date.
Due to very minor corrosion some wheels are a pig to remove. Removing the wheels will allow inspection to see if this is a problem and if so then treat it.
Both the above are preventative items to consider.
 First service, anything to watch out for? - spamcan61
>>
>> Why would they? they rarely go wrong at that age. The first service on modern
>> cars is nothing more than an oil change. Been like that for years.
>>

A year's worth of potholes could do major damage to steering or suspension, for 200 quid I don't think it's unreasonable to at least get a 55 quid MoT's worth of basic safety checks.

Yes, I love the bit about driving into the workshop, and only checking the interior lights. An MoT + fast fit type oil change would be far better value, but no dealer stamp in the book (virtual or otherwise) of course.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sat 20 Mar 10 at 17:19
>> A year's worth of potholes could do major damage to steering or suspension for 200
>> quid I don't think it's unreasonable to at least get a 55 quid MoT's worth
>> of basic safety checks.

you want it done? tell them and the will do it. YOu just pay extra for it is all.
 Spare tyre pressure - tyro
"Also I keep my spare at a high pressure, so I request that they don't adjust its pressure."

Excuse my asking, L'escargot, but why do you keep your spare at a high pressure?
Last edited by: tyro on Sat 20 Mar 10 at 18:07
 Spare tyre pressure - Iffy
Les can speak for himself, but I seem to recall the space saver on my last Focus was supposed to be kept at 50 or 60 psi.

Spare tyre pressure - bathtub tom
I overinflate mine also.

Tyres never increase in pressure on their own, they only go down.

It means I don't have to regularly check the spare's pressure and if I need it, it's a damn sight easier to let it down to the correct pressure than it is to pump it up.

I had to use my footpump (someone else's car) for the first time for ages. The built-in pressure gauge blew off rendering it unusable. It was only capable of being held on by a couple of threads. I won't be buying a replacement from Wilkinsons!
 Spare tyre pressure - Dieselfitter
SS - check the back of your service book. Is there a separate page for bodywork inspection? If so, make sure they stamp it. Without a stamp on that page at each service, the body warranty is down the pan. And with 3 Fords in the family, always serviced at franchised dealers, I've never known a Ford dealer ever stamp it without being specifically asked to. Yes, I have a conspiracy theory about this.
 Spare tyre pressure - rtj70
It's not just a stamp, the body check is optional and has to be paid for. And failure to get it checked invalidates that warranty. My previous company Mondeo didn't have the checks paid for and then started to rust.
 Spare tyre pressure - Bellboy
i always check for prawns in the door pockets because boy do they smell after a few weeks if ive upset susan on desk bound duties because Imelda has gone on maternity leave AGAIN and left us in the lurch at our busiest period
i really think she times these things
how many now is it?3 or 4? i lost count after the yummy mummies told me to leave it or my eyes would be poked out with a tin of space saver Tyre Sealant to get you home or in my case to the front of the queue at the A and E :-(
 Spare tyre pressure - Dieselfitter
I believe there's a discretionary charge for the body check, but we've never been charged in practice. Service Reception have always needed a reminder, but have stamped the body check page when asked. When you book a Ford into a Ford dealer for a service, it's fair to expect all checks that are necessary to maintain the warranty to be carried out, don't you think? If they want to take the car back into the workshop when I collect it at 5.30 in the afternoon and charge me an extra £5, that's OK with me, but it's never happened. I'm pretty sure that 99% of Ford owners either don't know about this or don't care and forfeit their body warranty as a result. It pays to play the game, especially when you have a 9 year-old Focus which came with a 12 year body warranty! So, Steel Spark, you have been warned!
 Spare tyre pressure - rtj70
I believe the body check used to be £15. And it was over and above a service check. The lease company we used to use (my Mazda was one of the last with them for us) saved this £15 per vehicle. Most cars were probably on shorter leases so the gamble paid off.

But if you buy a Ford, make sure the body check stamps are in the log book.
 Spare tyre pressure - L'escargot
>> "Also I keep my spare at a high pressure so I request that they don't
>> adjust its pressure."

>>
>> Excuse my asking L'escargot but why do you keep your spare at a high pressure?
>>

(1) All tyres are porous to some degree so the spare will lose air from the time you inflate it to the time you need to use it. Inflating it to the recommended maximum pressure rather the normal working pressure allows for this.
(2) If you need to fit the spare at the side of the road it's much easier to let air out to get the right pressure than it is to inflate it ~ that's if you carry a pump in the first place.
To everyone who replied, many thanks for all of your input, very much appreciated.

I actually had to delay the service until Thursday, so I will be able to take advantage of all of the advice.

I actually do not have a service book. I had assumed that, because it hasn't been serviced yet, I would get the book at the first service - or is there an official book that comes with each car?

Thanks again.
OH!

Yes should have got a book, with all the details of the cars build codes, vin number etc stuck in the front, details of the PDI being done and a stamp to prove it. Plus of course details of when the services are due, whats done at them and space for al the stamps.

Its a rather important document for a new car,
>> OH!
>>
>> Yes should have got a book with all the details of the cars build codes
>> vin number etc stuck in the front details of the PDI being done and a
>> stamp to prove it. Plus of course details of when the services are due whats
>> done at them and space for al the stamps.
>>
>> Its a rather important document for a new car

Arrgh. When I picked the car up, the guy told me that he couldn't find it and would post it to me. Never did and when I followed up, I was left with the impression that it was just a blank book to start with, so I could just get another copy (probably my failure to understand, rather than an intention to mislead on behalf of the dealer).

I will have to chase them up again, hopefully I haven't left it too late.

Is probably not worth getting a service if I don't get hold of the book!
 First service, anything to watch out for? - -

>> I will have to chase them up again hopefully I haven't left it too late.
>>
>> Is probably not worth getting a service if I don't get hold of the book!
>>
The paper trail, eg invoices and service history print outs are far more important than a stamped service book (though best to have belt and braces when they confirm each other).

We've seen instances where on a certain auction site fully stamped to your specs service books were up for sale.

Not the end of the world if you can't get the original but no reason why the dealer who sold you the car can't get you a new one and stamp and sign it.
...The paper trail, eg invoices and service history print outs are far more important than a stamped service book...

I think gb is spot on there, service books seem to be less and less important.

Having said that, they are still part of the document package with the car, so the dealer should provide one for the OP.
>> Not the end of the world if you can't get the original but no reason
>> why the dealer who sold you the car can't get you a new one and
>> stamp and sign it.

Thanks. That is the impression that I had been left with, that if it was a first service they could just get a new book to put the first stamp into (obviously, if it was a later service, then a new book wouldn't have the old stamps).

I will see what happens later this week.
Well, I had the service on Thursday.

All went fairly smoothly, although it took much longer than I was happy with, took the car in for 8am, got a call at 10:50 to say that it was ready, got back to the dealer for 11, paid for the service while they did a courtesy valet (just external wash and hoover the footwells), at 11:45 was told that the valet had actually just started, valet finished at 12, then had to wait until 12:20 until they could get the car from the car park to the service reception. They originally told me 2-3 hours, so I had been hoping to get away by 11am at the latest.

The body work check was included in the price £175, and they told me that the book would be stamped with the service stamp and the additional body work check stamp.

On the subject of the service book (which I didn't get when I bought the car), they told me that they would post it to me. I have no reason to believe they won't so I left it at that (they seem above board, if somewhat disorganised - including failing to send off the correct bits of the log book when I bought it).

Thanks again for all the advice.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 21:40
Latest Forum Posts