Motoring Discussion > Second-hand car dealers shamed by OFT Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 8

Second-hand car dealers shamed by OFT - SteelSpark
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8572148.stm
 Second-hand car dealers shamed by OFT - L'escargot
I assume it means car dealers that sell only used cars. I've nothing against used cars as such, but I would only ever buy a used car from a franchised dealer for the make of car in question. I want to know that the dealer has the knowledge, facilities, and back-up from the manufacturer, to be able to satisfactorily rectify any faults in the car which might subsequently occur.
 Second-hand car dealers shamed by OFT - -
Sounds a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

There's no data for prices paid, or types of problems encountered, if one of us bought a 2 year old medium sector car from a dealer for £10K we'd expect it to be pretty fault free, and unless it's been abused it probably would be.

If we bought a similar car at 6 years old 90K miles for £2/3K we would probably exepect to find some problems which depending on their severity we'd often sort them ourselves being reasonable chaps.

You've only got to read some threads to see just how unreasonable some buyers can be, as can be some unscrupulous traders, not here of course.

My own experiences of small used traders, my own MB some 8/9 years ago and a family BMW a month ago were both satisfactory experiences, neither car perfect and both needed a few odd jobs just as any used car would, both parties need tyo excercise a bit of give and take.
 Second-hand car dealers shamed by OFT - Iffy
...I assume it means car dealers that sell only used cars...

Les,

It's not clear to me.

The table quotes secondhand cars 'from independent traders', which I'm guessing means traders independent of a franchise, that is, traders not having a franchise.

Independent dealers tend to sell cheaper, older, cars which are more likely to go wrong.

I also think buyers' expectations have been raised to an unrealistic level.

I've seen posts on forums with people wanting to spend a few thousand on a car to do a 50 mile commute and family duties.

For that sort of work you need a new or nearly new Ford/Vauxhall/Toyota.
 Second-hand car dealers shamed by OFT - Zero
The used car game is littered with cowboy sellers, mug punters, and unreasonable buyers.

Somehow the fair seller, and the informed reasonable buyer kinda get buried in the dust.
 Second-hand car dealers shamed by OFT - madf
" seen posts on forums with people wanting to spend a few thousand on a car to do a 50 mile commute and family duties.

For that sort of work you need a new or nearly new Ford/Vauxhall/Toyota."

Spherical objects.. My son commutes 10k miles a year and has done so for 6 years. His cars have never cost more than £1500...

Breakdowns: 1.
 Second-hand car dealers shamed by OFT - Iffy
Sure, it can be done.

But I wouldn't expect the sorts of cars I see marked up for around £1,500 to do that type of work.

Second-hand car dealers shamed by OFT - Dog
Mileage correction services - I like that!! it amazes me that it still goes on to the extent that it does.
I got to know many 2nd hand car merchants in SE London in my car tuning days, they were all luvable rogues / Arthur Daley types (mostly)
A lot of them would buy high mileage ex rep cars at auction, turn the clock back to Zero (im again) and put a disclaimer on the 'clock'
The cars were priced accordingly though and they would sort out any problems ok.
It all comes down to caveat emptor really - buyer beware, especially with private sellers!
 Second-hand car dealers shamed by OFT - RattleandSmoke
I just don't know how people do it. I could never sell old cars because I would be worried about their condition. If I knew a lot about cars and could inspect them fully before sale that would be different.

I have always been the sort of person who gives people extra rather than knock people down though. It works both ways as a lot of customers give me more than I ask :).

When I was hunting for second hand cars last year I didn't find a single garage I thought I could trust. I found cars which have had modified VINs, cars which were obviously clocked and cars with ilegal tyres. All cars came with 12 months MOT but were sheds.

There are too many people out their trying to pull the wool over people.
Latest Forum Posts