Motoring Discussion > Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 10

Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement - Perky Penguin
tinyurl.com/5ummata

Typical, he can't drive it on the pavement because it is a motor vehicle and he can't drive it on the road because it isn't a motor vehicle! I'd rather see the odd Segway on the pavament than the usual collection of cyclists, chewing gum and dog do!
 Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement - Westpig
He could ride it on a road, but only if he had it insured and it had lights, number plate etc.

I'm having problems seeing the difference in principle to those electric elderly persons type things. They don't need to be road legal and can be ridden on the pavement.

Someone will no doubt appeal it. This is just one Magistrates opinion.
 Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement - Bromptonaut
>> I'm having problems seeing the difference in principle to those electric elderly persons type things.
>> They don't need to be road legal and can be ridden on the pavement.

But don't they come in two types; those that are really just an all terrain wheelchair and others that can be registered and used in the road.

I regularly see one on the A45 between Weedon & Dodford at around 21:45, presumably old boy on way home from pub/club. He's sharing the road with HGVs & fast cars!!!
 Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement - hobby
>> I'm having problems seeing the difference in principle to those electric elderly persons type things.

They are limited to 4mph on pavements, WP, either with a switch on the larger type or just max speed on the other... There is no mention of that on the Sedgeway, if it had been limited the guy may have had a better argument to use it... Thing is our pavements aren't as wide and empty as many US ones!
 Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement - PeterS
I'm sure I've seen 'security' at the Gunwharf Quays shopping centre using these things to get around; does this mean they'll have to walk now ;-)
 Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement - Lygonos
Maybe falls into same category as these stupid little 100 quid chinese minibikes morons buy their kids then ride around drunk on them at Xmas - can't go on pavement and not roadworthy so cant go on-roads.

Anyways, maybe the Segway can be reclassified as an electric bicycle - as long as it cant exceed 15mph it could be used on-road without tax/insurance.
 Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement - CGNorwich
"I'd rather see the odd Segway on the pavament than the usual collection of cyclists, chewing gum and dog do!"

Well so would I but I don't think that the choice is it? I think we get all the aforesaid nuisances plus Segways skateboarders, in-line skaters and the clinically obese on electric scooters.

Segways are surely the most pointless vehicle ever invented and their silly riders look totally ridiculous which is reason enough to ban them in my book. Didn't their inventor fall off one and kill himself?
 Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement - Zero
not quite, it drove him off a cliff.

And he wasnt the inventor, just the owner of the company if my memory serves me right.
 Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement - rtj70
I believe Dean Kamen is very much alive.
 Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement - Zero
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315518/Segway-tycoon-Jimi-Heselden-dies-cliff-plunge-scooters.html
 Man Convicted of Driving a Segway on a Pavement - Perky Penguin
If the law and the courts have the time, money and inclination to argue about the legality of one particular type of vehicle of which there are very few in UK they could well apply the full rigour of existing and enforceable laws against gum droppers, cyclists on the pavement and dogs with uncontrolled bowels! I am surprised they don't - it could be a real earner!
Latest Forum Posts