Motoring Discussion > Speeders beware. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 26

Speeders beware. - Pat
tinyurl.com/6ja7zlf

It may only be on loan but how long will it be before there is a convincing argument to buy a fleet of them?

Pat
 Speeders beware. - Hard Cheese

It's a publicity stunt and short term deterent I reckon, ratherlike the Scania discussed elsewhere, not much chance of there being a fleet of them however.

Speeders beware. - MD
It may get run over. Ruddy carp.
 Speeders beware. - Iffy
What's the betting some boneheaded copper will crash it?

Speeders beware. - Old Sock
>> What's the betting some boneheaded copper will crash it?
>>

No doubt in the process of 'familiarisation' with the car :-(
 Speeders beware. - Iffy
...No doubt in the process of 'familiarisation' with the car...

Yes, and if he's anything like a copper near me, it will be on a Sunday, 250 miles outside his own force area, not far from a town at which his son is at the university.

You couldn't make it up.

Happily, you don't have to.

Speeders beware. - VxFan
"PC Angus Nairn"

aka, lorry driver, tv star, and now sports car driver.
 Speeders beware. - Skoda
Angus Nairn, what a pie. Do the police not rein him in? He's doing nothing for their image.
 Speeders beware. - BobbyG
Whats Angus doing wrong?
 Speeders beware. - Westpig
>> What's the betting some boneheaded copper will crash it?
>>
Why do you need to be so rude?
 Speeders beware. - Iffy
...Why do you need to be so rude?...

OK,

What's the betting an otherwise skilled and intelligent traffic officer will crash it?

Don't tell me you like black rats.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 13 Jan 11 at 19:56
Re liking black rats

I've met some that i'd cheerily like to punch their lights out...there again there's several that are personal friends. Bit like everyone else in society really. Strangely enough, with human beings they are not all the same.
Last edited by: Westpig on Thu 13 Jan 11 at 21:25
 Speeders beware. - FotheringtonTomas
It's a stunt. The stunter who thought it up should be sacked. They don't need this car. "We" have to pay for these excesses.
 Speeders beware. - TheManWithNoName
Don't worry, it's a Lotus so will spend most of its time at the side of the road broken down - probably.
Either that or its driver will be overcome by plastic fumes.
 Speeders beware. - Woodster
Fothers _ the clue's in the article: 'Donated by Lotus'. You're not paying.
 Speeders beware. - Perky Penguin
Typical Daily Wail. It isn't close to the first time a traffic police have used some sort of sports car. Bedford had a Porsche 911for M1 patrols 20 years ago. Odd that it will be used to keep one step ahead of the crims - I thought it for pursuit - not leading processions!
 Speeders beware. - DP
The Sussex Police Exige was shown at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few years ago. It was quite a talking point, as I recall.
The officers "manning" it were very chatty and good natured, although seemed very keen to express at any opportunity that very few things would get away from it, what with the performance and the trained police driver behind the wheel. Until one of us pointed out that the nose of the car would be remodelled quite effectively by all but the most gentle of speed ramps. Luckily they saw the funny side of it.
 Speeders beware. - Iffy
...Typical Daily Wail...It isn't close to the first time a traffic police have used some sort of sports car...

Nothing wrong with the article that I can see.

It mentions fast cars run by other forces here and abroad.

Few quotes from relevant people, including the much-loved PC Nairn.

Not the biggest story of the day, but it makes an eye-catching pic, which is probably one of the reasons the Mail ran it.

Speeders beware. - Pat
>>Typical Daily Wail<<

I expected that remark long before 14.43.

Pat
 Speeders beware. - FotheringtonTomas
Apparently not for the next two weeks, anyway.
 Speeders beware. - L'escargot
>> tinyurl.com/6ja7zlf
>>
>> It may only be on loan ..........

As often happens the newspaper article is ambiguous. Firstly it says the car has been donated, and then it says it's on loan. I hope that no blood donations turn out to be on loan!
 Speeders beware. - Kithmo
What a waste of public money !!
Just because they can catch up with a crim, it doesn't mean they can stop them. Imagine the costs to repair bodywork on that after a tussle with a crim.
There's no public money involved, it's been PROVIDED BY LOTUS, who up their profile and the Old Bill get a freebie.
 Speeders beware. - Woodster
Jealousy's a terrible thing. Think I'll take one of the Evo's for a spin tomorrow and then give Lotus a call.
 Speeders beware. - Bagpuss
The German police do not have Porsche 911s and have not had Porsches for at least 20 years. Not much boot space for passengers or traffic cones compared with the blue light equiped 530d estates that actually patrol the autobahns. Porsches are also not limited to 155mph. Can't comment on the the factual accuracy of the rest of the story but it looks like the wiper on the photographed Evora has jammed in the middle of the screen so - Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious.
 Speeders beware. - scousehonda
The wiper could have been in mid sweep as it looks as though it's raining and the BMW in the background would appear to have its wipers working (unless they were stuck as well!).
 Speeders beware. - VxFan
>> it looks like the wiper on the photographed Evora has jammed in the middle of the screen

Could well have been designed to park in the middle of the screen. The modders who convert their Golfs and suchlike to a single wiper often park them vertically. Something to do with making the car look cool.
Latest Forum Posts