Motoring Discussion > Selling a car in France but from the UK ! Buying / Selling
Thread Author: bottomlesspit Replies: 18

Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - bottomlesspit
Hi All

Need some advice and I believe we have some posters who live in France on this forum ?

I may need to sell a car in France but doing it from the UK.

Car is French and is less than a yr old. FiL pass away recently and Mil cannot drive and would not know the first thing about selling it.

So looking for advise really from anyone in the know on the best way to sell it, also wondering if it would be worth taking the hit on what the dealer has offered to avoid all the stress and hassle.

Dealer has offered 9k Euro Honda Jazz just under a yr old with low mileage, believe it cost 16K new, so would be a big hit for that make and model of car, but a lot less hassle.

I reckon it to be worth around 12-13K

Any thoughts
 Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - Fenlander
This is going to very difficult... there will still have to be someone in France to do the test drives & inspections then deal with the payment/documents/handover.

If there is no other relative who is still in France near the car I'd go with the dealer option.
 Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - Dulwich Estate
You could try asking on this forum:

www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/

I have found the readers / posters there most helpful. Particularly a guy called "Sunday Driver"

Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - R.P.
I'll e-mail Mike Hannon for you...he might have a suggestion.
 Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - CGNorwich
I think 12-13k sounds a bit optimistic for a one year old car that costs 16K new. Unless you know someone trustworthy in France who is prepared to take on the hassle of selling a car privately I think I would sell to a dealer - worth trying more than one though
 Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - Iffy
...I think 12-13k sounds a bit optimistic for a one year old car that costs 16K new...

In the UK, about a third loss in the first year would be usual, giving a value of nearer 11K.

But we don't know the market in France, and I've read a few times used cars are more valuable 'in Europe'.

Or just bid the dealer up to 10K and snatch his hand off.

Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - davros
Prices of used cars in France are horrifying (if you're used to the UK market). I don't think that the word "depreciation" can be translated into French . . .

The main Autotrader equivalents in France are www.autoscout24.fr and www.lacentrale.fr. On theses sites, the going rate for a 2009 / 2010 Honda Jazz seesm to be between E12.5 K and E15K (hope this link works: tinyurl.com/4vqw3fh).

Private sales tend to go on www.leboncoin.com (think Exchaneg & Mart). A friend of mine recently sold an ancient Subaru Forrester with 250,000+ km for more than E4,000 on that site.

There is an English-owned garage I'm aware of (near Lyon) who might be able to help you - Gary Automobiles - www.gary-automobiles.com/ - but I know nothing about them or their reputation. There is also an English car buyer somewhere in France whose details I'll try to dig out for you.

Bon Chance

Davros

Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - Alanovich
I bought a car through Gary Automoibles once and drove it back to the UK to register it here. It was a car I'd seen on eBay France in his vicinity, and he checked it out for me locally and purchased it to sell on to me at very little mark up. Gary was very helpful with paper work, even making sure I had valid insurance for driving through France at no extra cost.

I'd recommend him.
 Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - Mike Hannon
I'm away and just seen message. Helpful info on the totalfrance forum but your options are limited unless you have someone over here you can trust. Where is the car-France is a big place. Dealer option is tempting to save hassle-and new French bought cars DO depreciate steeply at first. If it's a 1.4 with toys I might be interested. I live in Limousin but am on the Cote d'Azur at the moment.
Thanks Mike.
 Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - Zero

>> I live in Limousin but am on the Cote d'Azur at the moment.

Life's a beach.
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies so far.

We do have someone in France who can deal with viewings etc, but I am trying hard not to involve them !

I will explore some of the suggestion so far.

Mike H,

It's a 1.4 Elegance model, was bought in March 2010 and has about 7000km on it and is in an electiric blue colour. I have not seen it but it was my Fils pride an joy since March, cleaned every day, my wife has seen it and say it is perfect. The snag is, it is in the West, about 1/2 hr from Toulouse, but if you are really interested then that will not be hurdle.

Let me know and I will get my e-mail address to toy somehow ?

Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - smokie
(Email the mods if you want a mail sent on. moderators at car4play.com)
 Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - Mike Hannon
Hello again - yet another borrowed computer with a darned French keyboard!
mods please pass on my email address so I can pass on my mobile no. I can take a look in 2 wks time if its still around. I hadn`t planned to submit to the Jazz with our name on it just yet but que sera sera...
Yes the weather is nice and Monaco is still my favourite place on earth - except for all the butt ugly Phantoms and the footballer VW Bentleys now pqcking the place...
Done for you.
Hi Pug,

Thanks, I have now mailed Mike directly with more detials.

On the subject of prices for used cars in France, you would be shocked at the asking price for cars in France, when I say used I mean I have seen some 10y old run of the mill cars going for silly money, many times what you would consider asking for the same over in the UK, and I have no idea why ?
My BMW bike was sold for a good price to a dealer in Belgium - it was advertised at a silly price (expensive) which would have got you a much newer one in the UK.
 Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - sherlock47
Mike
If you are going directly from Cot d'A to Toulouse you will be passing close by, (I should be there by first week in Feb). If you fancy dropping off the A9 for a lunchtime break get in touch with me via mods, and I will then pass on my tel no and private email.

p
 Selling a car in France but from the UK ! - Iffy
...get in touch with me via mods, and I will then pass on my tel no and private email...

Mike's email is in his C4P profile.

It is him - I used it a few months ago.
Latest Forum Posts