Motoring Discussion > White cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hjd Replies: 14

White cars - hjd
These are all the fashion now - but white really doesn't suit some cars.
The worst one I have seen was a Jeep. Am I the only one to find a lot of white cars ugly?
 White cars - Runfer D'Hills
It's all so retro dahling. I had a white Golf GTi when proper braces were red, proper shirts were striped, proper sunglasses were mock tortoiseshell Wayfarers and mobile phones came in a briefcase and had a proper handset........Fashion... Pah !!
 White cars - Zero
I had a white Capri, when black vynil roofs and black coach lines were classy, shoes had platforms, trouser legs were flaired, hips were cut low, jackets were velvet with large collars, narrow waists, double vents and high pockets, ties were huge and broad with a gigantic knot, and collars were tulip.

Fashion?

Oh and hair was permed.
 White cars - Londoner
Snap! Everything except the permed hair.
 White cars - Runfer D'Hills
Oh and to answer your question hjd. :-) I think you are quite right. Only a very few cars actually suit white and most of them would look even better with a bit of colour.
 White cars - crocks
I had a white MkII Cortina around the same time Zero had his Capri.

Well it was white when I got it but quickly developed brown patches.
 White cars - commerdriver
interesting one, when I ordered my new car in December when I selected the colour on the ordering system, there was a note at the bottom of the screen to the effect that while white was a no cost colour from the manufacturer the lease amount may go up because of the reduced resale value of a white car.
 White cars - L'escargot
>> Am I the only one to
>> find a lot of white cars ugly?
>>

My only criterion for choosing a colour is that it must be bright and easily seen by other motorists. The reason I don't buy white cars is that they aren't highly visible in murky conditions. In any case, as I said in another thread, I only judge a car on its functionability and not its exterior beauty or ugliness.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 07:14
 White cars - Dave
Well I bought a white pickup a couple of years ago. Obviously I didn't really want white, but due to various factors it was that or black.

Fortunately, white pickups and vans are pretty rare here - no white van man. It's actually grown on me over time. However, it's a terrible colour for everything else. Not only is it always dirty, but everything shows up so badly on it - like staining from the rubber trim, tar, bugs, and just general grubby marks.
 White cars - -
>> Well I bought a white pickup a couple of years ago. Obviously I didn't really
>> want white but due to various factors it was that or black.

Well in the heady choice of 6 colours available when we bought the Hilux, i've often thought that the white acually looks best especially in the higher spec model which rarely get specified in white, from your post that may have been a good one to miss.

As it is swmbo wanted blue, Toyota actualy name it carlo blue don't know why there's only one blue anyway so 'blue' would have been sufficient.
It's not my choice and i would have gone green.

My second choice was white, but seeing as i wear the trousers in this house the trucks blue..;)
 White cars - Dieselfitter
What goes around, comes around - white seems to be the new black for the fashion conscious. However, some old grumpy's like it too (or any solid colour) for ease of touching up minor scrapes. Last solid colour I had was on a red V40 (I think it was the 'signature colour' for this model, and it seemed to looked good in red...). Just before I sold it, I scraped the corner of the painted rear bumper quite badly on a brick wall, but managed a very passable repair with nothing more than wet or dry paper, a touch-up pot and lots of polish. Wouldn't have worked with a metallic finish.
 White cars - Alanovich
Saw a 10-reg white Land Rover Discovery yesterday. I nearly laughed out loud. I can forgive government agencies and the like this crime, but a private motorist? Oh dear. Look at meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

White cars - Vicar of Bray
exactly. You can see it coming down a sunlit, tree lined lane ,-)
 White cars - Fenlander
Perhaps it's me being conditioned by fashion but I struggle with white on most cars. Have noticed the trend for folks to choose it again though.... looks odd on large prestige 4WDs to my mind.

Even years ago it had to be on the right car. I liked a white Triumph 2000/2.5PI but hated a white Rover 2000/3500.
 White cars - Dog
I once owned an olde english (no, not sheepdog silly) white XJ6 with red leather int.
I used to feel like the bee's knee's driving out of my garage
from a SE London council tower block :)
Latest Forum Posts