Motoring Discussion > What colour do you really want. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 30

What colour do you really want. - -
The current off white thread got me thinking.

Is there a colour or two or combination that you really love and would in an ideal world have on your car, two tone even?

I nearly ended up buying an M5 a few years ago, not only was it an exceptional car being one of the last and low mileage approved used but it was, as close as possible, in my all time favourite car colour.

I love dark green, the darker the better (nicely dressed woman in bottle green does something to a chap too), the 2003 Beemer E39 M5 was in Oxford green with beige leather and wood trim...executive rather than sport spec, proper sporting gentleman's car..not as i qualify in either category and certainly could never afford again.

Not quite as nice as MB's green black which is probably my all time favourite colour.

Some of the colour choices of the last few years have bored me to tears.
 What colour do you really want. - Runfer D'Hills
Some people are superstitious about green cars. I wasn't, but my dad only ever had one accident in his life ( not his fault ) but it was in the only green car he ever had. Wouldn't have another one. Likewise, so far, I've only bent the metal once and that was in a green car so now I'm wary of them. Irrational of course and I agree it can look great particularly on bigger cars.

I always hated burgundy /wine colours on cars but I might be reviewing that. Burgundy with black leather interior....hmmm

I do still like black, silver and dark grey but I've had so many in those colours and so has everyone else. Ambivolent about blue. Hate pale blue but quite like mid or dark blues. Not keen on beige / gold but have to admit some cars can suit it. Wouldn't rush to order it though. White, maybe, not sure. Red can be fun. I think it suits my wife's SUV and my Westfield looked the puppy's in red.

Hmmm, burgundy ? Maybe I'm getting old....
 What colour do you really want. - Bellboy
green cars disappear on b roads
silver cars disappear in the gloom of uddersfield
blue cars disappear to the back of the lot till reduced till you bleed
red cars morph to pink
yellow cars attract flies
black cars are always dirty
pink cars are for girlies
brown cars are for the tight wads
orange cars are for numpties
thats the good thing about white at least you see them but big white cars can look dreadful
 What colour do you really want. - Armel Coussine
Never given a toss what colour my cars were. I like matt grey but have only had one matt grey car. I would only specify a colour when buying new or if rich.

When I was a tot I had a green pedal car and was very keen on green cars. I acquired the minicabbers' superstition about green cars though, in the seventies. There were two green cars in the firm. One got nastily gouged, the other written off in a high-speed smash on Lavender Hill. Undoubtedly the driver's fault, country boy, full of himself, bit of a berk.
 What colour do you really want. - Buddy
In 1969 I bought an ex-demo Austin 1300 in dark green with very smart (Ford) silver fox roof, plus wooden steering wheel and black interior- the bees knees to me then! IIRC, most cars in that era were in lighter colours like beige and grey.
 What colour do you really want. - -
>> Hmmm, burgundy ? Maybe I'm getting old....
>>

Nah, individual taste and none the worse for that.

I used to collect many from the Landrover factory, there would be the odd very highly specced RR in the darkest burgundy i've ever seen, probably special VIP order...a luscious well heeled almost regal colour that suited the classy model to a T, never saw it on the blinged up Sport.

I wanted dark green* for the pick up, but SWM is wary of the colour on a car too.

* there were only 6 colours available anyway, black white silver green red blue, they had the cheek to name the colours.
 What colour do you really want. - Zero
Really depends on the car. Some colours really suit some cars.

Also depends on how the car makers mix their colours.

I loved the magic green that Nissan did, changed shades even looking yellowish in some lights.
 What colour do you really want. - MD
Like my old Tonic suit in the Seventies.
 What colour do you really want. - corax
I loved the Lotus Carlton colour. It was black with a dark green flip depending on how the sun caught it.

I agree with Zero about the colour suiting the car. I usually hate burgundy, but on a Mk2 Jag? With black leather? Yes please. Or that bronze colour that could be so wrong but suited James Garners Pontiac in the Rockford files.
 What colour do you really want. - tyro
There is something about British racing green on a car. I saw one on a Mini recently, and it made me look twice. I thought it was stunning. I'm not sure that it works as well on every car, but it is certainly good on some.

As I've said previously, I really like the orange colour that the Focus ST came in - or possibly just a little bit more yellow.

But in general, I'm happy to stick with silver, grey and black - and some metallic blues.

What colour do you really want. - NortonES2
Irish racing green for me.
 What colour do you really want. - Skoda
>> Irish racing green for me.
>>

Is there a punchline to this? :-)
 What colour do you really want. - NortonES2
You'd have to go back to 1903 for the solution:)
 What colour do you really want. - Alanovich
I really, really love brown cars. But nothing tending towards beige. There just aren't many around.

Why? No idea.

>> Why? No idea.

Probably because it looks like dog poo.
 What colour do you really want. - DP
>> Probably because it looks like dog poo.

SWMBOs first car was a brown mk1 Fiesta. Which quickly became referred to as The Turd Mobile.;)
Tell you what, one of my very first company cars was a "Roman Bronze" ( brown ) Cortina 1.6 GL ( no less ) with beige velour upholstery and a fake teak dash.

Couple that mental image if you will with hair a bit too long and a navy Harry Fenton's pin-stripe suit with wide lapels and flares with turn-ups.

Jack-the-flippin'-lad or what ?!!

:-)

PS. I've destroyed the photographs...
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 1 Jan 11 at 17:52
 What colour do you really want. - swiss tony
>> Jack-the-flippin'-lad or what ?!!
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> PS. I've destroyed the photographs...
>>

Well... you thought you had!

farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/3002958752_8f6bf24929.jpg

(must have been taken the day of your yearly haircut......) ;-)
ive found him
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/smartiesx3/mk3.jpg
I'm not going to tell you which one but one of you is close !
 What colour do you really want. - swiss tony
"Roman Bronze" ( brown ) Cortina 1.6 GL ( no less ) with beige velour upholstery and a fake teak dash
IIRC that spec would make it a Mk4... late Mk3's had the Mk4 dash, but without wood I think.. early Mk3 wouldn't be GL spec. (XL instead?)

Also, my mental piccy of Humph is of a white gentlemen and no afro...

Thus - I stake my claim for the prize!
That was when he traveller in ladies underwear.
That woman and indeed the house looks scarily like my ex-mother-in-law and her gaff. Darken her hair a bit and it's nearly there. That Cortina is a Ghia I think but otherwise close enough. It was a mk4. Always thought the mk3s were sportier looking things. I'll keep you wondering about the rest...

OK- if you could put a word balloon on the picture....?

:-)
 What colour do you really want. - Roger.
Ford Purple Velvet with a black vinyl roof - remember that combination?
I had a Cortina 2000GT in that; fabulous car for its day.
I do not like plain dark blue, maroon or green. Trouble to sell, too.
Last car, the Fabia, was white, which was OK - current Alhambra is metallic silver/grey - best colour for not showing dirt.
 What colour do you really want. - captain chaos
American cars have some truly weird colour combinations. I once owned a '73 Oldsmobile Cutlass coupe in electric blue with a white vinyl roof. Interior was all white with a blue dash and woodgrain insert in the steering wheel rim. Door cards where white too. A couple of pints of milk wouldn't have looked out of place in the door pockets...
I think probably the worst colour car I've ever had was my very first company car. Three of us started on the same day. The company had pre-bought three mk1 Vauxhall Cavaliers. All 1.6L trim. A flat red one, a flat pale blue one and a flat custard yellow one. As I had the furthest to travel I arrived the latest and of course I got the flying banana as it became known. It also had a fairly hideous tan checked fabric interior.

Good car to drive though. Quite nippy and handled beautifully. I lived in Edinburgh at the time and American tourists used to ask me if I was a cab. The brown Cortina came a year after that. In those days they changed the cars every 1st April so you never had anything long enough to worry about it.
 What colour do you really want. - Boxsterboy
I think the mark of a good car design is that it will look good in all colours. If a car only looks good in certain colours, then there's something wrong with the lines.

Not fussed on colour myself, but has to be metallic (and why do we still have to pay extra for that??).
 What colour do you really want. - Ted

Pah....nowt like a real man's colour to pull the trim !

Turquoise !! I thought the Suzuki was blue over silver but the V5C tells me it's turquoise !

Ted
There's not really much choice from new with at least VAG and BMW, unless you like telling the difference between 12 shades of gray.

Have you seen the colour choices available in the boating world? Not my cup of tea but we've a consultant who's boat daft and he brought in *the colour brochure* for his new boat. There's about 5 volumes of brochures dedicated to this one model of boat, and the colour brochure is a fair size.

Some of the choices are outstanding! Why can't we get that on a car? I guess the paint's more expensive, but still...
on a boat you pick your colour and let it gell
on a car you pick your colour and then after being down the pub you start to dwell

see simples........;-).
pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/common/images/b/mar/MarineSelector-LG.jpg

I'm not that impressed by a row dedicated to shades of white, but the "Effect Colours" on that chart are more the idea i was thinking of.

Once PU's mates new wheels pick up a few stone chips, he could sell it as "Gold Dust Effect, DuPont 802224".
Latest Forum Posts