Motoring Discussion > Insuring vehicles that are not being used! Legal Questions
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 13

Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - FotheringtonTomas
There's an article in "The Daily Telegraph" here:

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7429638/Easy-target-drivers-are-under-siege-from-motoring-legislation.html

which ends by saying:

"Within a year, motorists who fail to keep their car continuously insured will be fined, too, even if it's off the road"

What the devil's all that about? Should I have a few cars, motorbikes, etc. stored, will I *really* have to insure them all?
 Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - Bellboy
theyve been pushing for this for a fair few years now
remember no log book and you could lose your right to the old registration number on the old ganglia youve had in the garage since glandad died?
then came sorn
its the next tax driven step isnt it as you pay tax on insurance policies plus it will probably need an mot or if sorned they might start an administration charge on this
 Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - -
We've got exactly the type of govt we deserve, not us here but as a nation, they didn't take power by force but by other means.
Desperation for funds will see more of these scheme's over the next 3 decade's, they've got to think of the future revenue's so must tax the vehicle/travel/road price as well as fuel to cater for those who take up the present encouragement to switch to hybrid/super economy cars.
 Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - WozDox
They could do it simply by adding public liability to tax discs / sorn and charging accordingly......................
I am *hoping* that the sentence in that article was a mistake, and it meant "continuously insured OR SORN'd". If it iss not, then am I expected to fork out to insure multiple vehicles as if they are on the road?
 Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - jc2
Why shouldn't they be insured?-they can still catch fire or be stolen or even roll across the road and flatten someone's child or house.
 Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - Ted

Er, not in a lot of cases. You'd have a job to pinch my old car or have it roll anywhere with the wheels stacked up at the back of the garage. Little risk of fire, No battery.
Only an arsonist could set it alight and everything's insured already.

We had all this in the early 80s when they proposed to tax all cars, whether on the road or not.. This led to the Federation of Historic British Car Clubs to fight the proposal.

A legal possession which does not go into the public domain is no business of the Governments. What next ? Tax your Fridge, Settee, Washing up bowl ?
Wedge and Thin End come to mind.

Ted
 Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - RattleandSmoke
They have thought of that one too VAT.

It is pretty stupid though, why the hell should your Jewett be taxed/insured it is out of harms away and would take a theif hours to knick it.

What next, an automatic 6 month prison sentence to all licence holders?
>> they can still catch fire or be stolen or even roll across the road and flatten
>> someone's child or house.

Nothing to do with motor insurance. Not in use on the road. The same goes for someone's tree, garden wall or chimney pot.
 Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - L'escargot
The article is pure sensationalism.
 Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - Dwight Van Driver
Fraid not Brian.

FT the law on this is at Section 22 Road Safety Act 2006 but as yet there has been no commencement order made to bring into fruition. There have been many mumbles that it is close at hand which are getting louder.

Seems little to fear and very much like Sorn (Excise). Vehicle is either insured on the road or if uninsured off the road then a statutory declaration has to be made. Details of what the declaration has to be will be outlined in a Statutory Insurument yet to be made by Sec of State.

dvd
 Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - MD
Oh! happy day!
 Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - Cliff Pope
In any case a car that is off the road and on SORN might well not be roadworthy, and might indeed be dismantled. I have several cars on SORN. One is in pieces and stacked in boxes. I have raided so many bits for other cars that it is certainly not now complete.

I don't see how a collection of pieces could legally be insured as a car, or indeed as anything else.
 Insuring vehicles that are not being used! - IJWS14
Leads to some interesting exchanges with the girl at the insurance company . . .

Has it got alloy wheels - no it has not got any wheels.

How many miles a year will you drive - none this year.

What CC is the engine - not got one, scrapped the old one and looking for a replacement so it has no engine at the moment . .

Etc etc.
Latest Forum Posts