Motoring Discussion > What spare tyre? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 9

What spare tyre? - movilogo
I changed all my tyres 3 months back. All Continental Eco (cost £200 for 4 and £55 single).

Last week, during service, I was told that front n/s one had nail in sidewall, which in non-repairable.

My spare tyre (full size) was also Continental Eco, so I asked them to fit that one instead - which they did.

So, now I have a faulty spare tyre.

I am wondering whether to replace that with

1. a budget tyre for £20 as it will be a just limp back home mode.
2. buy another Continental Eco for £55
3. Do nothing and keep nail in sidewall tyre as spare one, as dealer said I can still drive at town speed (but motorway speed not recommended).

Please suggest...
 What spare tyre? - -
Before you decide it might be worth giving these people a ring, maybe they'd be able to say whether they can repair it via a emailed pic, can't do any harm, oh and a professional tyre repair bears no relation to a stick on plug at the local tyre place, if they repair it the tyre will be fully useable.
www.east-northantsonline.co.uk/pp/business/bronze.asp?id=16133
 What spare tyre? - movilogo
Google search shows sidewalls should not be repaired! Is that illegal?

Even if a tyre shop can repair it, they will charge at least £15-£20 (normally they charge £10 for standard repair).

A new tyre £55 (may be less as I don't need fitting) so just £30 difference.
 What spare tyre? - -
Fair enough Movi, new tyre it is then.
 What spare tyre? - commerdriver
ML is this a test to see who is browsing both Ancient and Modern?
For what it's worth I would always suggest that the spare tyre is the same as the road tyres though I usually keep the most worn but still legal of the five as the spare.
 What spare tyre? - FotheringtonTomas
>> Last week during service I was told that front n/s one had nail in sidewall
>> which in non-repairable.

Correct. Sidewall punctures are not repaired. This is because of the area is hugely stressed and deforms a lot in normal running.
 What spare tyre? - Bellboy

>> Correct. Sidewall punctures are not repaired. This is because of the area is hugely stressed
>> and deforms a lot in normal running.
>>
incorrect sidewall damage can be repaired otherwise the world would be under a stack of wagon tyres, it is a gb says down to the individual damage done to a particular tyre so the link he gave is a cost effective way to a tyre shop to ask if a customers sidewall damage is repairable
 What spare tyre? - FotheringtonTomas
"Wagon tyres" are not car tyres. Perhaps you could use a snap rivet, or some evo-stik.
 What spare tyre? - Bellboy
ft i used wagon tyres as an egg--------- hard boiled its seems :-0
its quite acceptable to do a vulcanised sidewall repair and then you stamp it to show its to british standards
its acceptable
its legal
its safe
i could go to the place ive used and take photos for you of the process if you wish? (charges at standard rate apply)
 What spare tyre? - crocks
Depends if you want another puncture.

If you buy a budget tyre you will soon have cause to use it and wish you had paid the extra £35.
If you spend £55 on a matching tyre you will never ever have another puncture.

Well that is my experience!
Last edited by: crocks on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 14:29
Latest Forum Posts