Motoring Discussion > Suzuki Jimny - Oops Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 21

Suzuki Jimny - Oops - MD
Have to report that the Jimny decided that it knew best and tonight performed a right turn of it's own accord! On the overun at perhaps 20 mph (yes honestly) it exited the downhill lane right side and hedged it. Had a peek in the dark and so far a new front plate is required. When I managed to get it out of the shallow ditch I carried on...........over the small bridge and up tother side.........or not! Part way up it spun and then.........it stopped and proceeded to go backwards at an alarmingly increasing rate of knots. Managed to keep it straight at 15-20 mph with clenched buttocks (windows open just in case!) Crossed the bridge once again and decided to keep going (backwards) until I found a gateway and done a U turn there. Crept home another way, mentally bruised and battered (may need counselling!), but found all roads had been through a thaw and re-freeze process and were now lethal. Lesson learnt? I guess not, but a little less hooning around now. Now where is the Scrabble bored (sic)

Stay safe..............MD
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Notdoctorchris
Lesson to be learned, get winter tyres fitted.
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Old Navy
>> Lesson to be learned, get winter tyres fitted.
>>

Do they make much difference on black ice?
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - RattleandSmoke
Same could be said about the use of ice scrapers :)

Still not have dared to use the Panda yet, the Fiesta has been sliding all over the place but if my dad has a crash in that there isn't much financial consequences, if I crash the Panda :(.

PS Martin I hope you're ok :).
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 23 Dec 10 at 21:20
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Robin O'Reliant
I called in at my local indie yesterday with a clicking noise I'd noticed when blipping the throttle with the bonnet up. Turned out to be just a sticking tensioner on the alternator belt, but when I got out of the car on arrival the owner came up and said, "You haven't pranged it, have you"? When I told him why I was there he gave a look of relief and said they had been inundated with people bringing in cars with various degrees of body damage in the last couple of weeks, nearly all low speed shunts on ice.

So, pain in the butt as it is you are far from being alone. Roll on the insurance renewals next year (not!)
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Lygonos
They can do - the multi ridge patterns and softer rubber cause the ice to melt instantly under pressure and refreeze giving a little more grip than more blocky tread.

Still better to stay in an enjoy some tea (or stronger).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2GF_MArj4o

Here's a chap testing regular winter tyres vs studs on a frozen lake :-)
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - swiss tony
>> Here's a chap testing regular winter tyres vs studs on a frozen lake :-)
>>
How would one know if the ice is strong enough to take a car?
I wouldn't have the bottle to risk it!
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Lygonos
I'd reckon it has been -20c and below for at least a few weeks - it'll be yards thick.

Chap last year managed to drive half a mile on a frozen canal near here before he reached a thin spot under a bridge...
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Tooslow
It's a 5 knot limit on that lake :-)
John
My Mondie had a similar idea this morning...
..Travelling along the A40 it went very 'light' the front had a wiggle, then broke away! (black ice!)
I got off, and kept off the pedals, steering into the slide, then had to turn the steering wheel from side to side, as I must have over corrected... ended up pointing the right way, and with out hitting anything.
Seat cover nearly needed cleaning!

I knew the time I spent as a youth in an icy carpark would be useful one day.

Got to work, had a coffee, and one of the technicians came in swearing.
He also lost grip at exactly the same place, but ended up spinning, and coming off the road.
New front bumper, and drivers seatcover needed!

At least no one was hurt, and neither of us involved a 3rd party.
Last edited by: swiss tony on Thu 23 Dec 10 at 21:23
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - MD
I'm Fine thanks Rats, just a bit of dented pride. Delivered mail to farmers tonight that I had picked up in town earlier and they just nodded (saying..we know from 50 yrs experience).

As they say.......4x4 = fine. 4x0 = 0
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Runfer D'Hills
Glad you're ok Martin.
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - bathtub tom
Blomquist/Ericsson/Waldegard, can't remember which, used to dip the clutch pedal, thus removing engine braking from the driving wheels. This regained steering control quicker on FWD.

However, when you're up to your rrrrs in alligators, etc.
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Bill Payer
>> Blomquist/Ericsson/Waldegard, can't remember which, used to dip the clutch pedal, thus removing engine braking from
>> the driving wheels. This regained steering control quicker on FWD.
>>
Yep - I learned that on a Fiesta many years ago, my first FWD. Went straight across an icy junction and it was only when it stopped I realised the engine had stalled and locked the front wheels.

Noticed the OP said "on the overrun" - the engine braking overcomes the tyre grip on the ice and it's game over.
>> Blomquist/Ericsson/Waldegard, can't remember which, used to dip the clutch pedal, thus removing engine braking from the driving wheels. This regained steering control quicker on FWD.
>>
Yup, that's what I leant, in my youth... no throttle, no brakes, and for best results dip the clutch.

Problem - my Mondeo is an auto, my workmates Merc is also an auto.....
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Ted

Today and yesterday i've felt the back end of the Suzuki try to break away. Both times on well used, straight, seemingly clear roads. ( Great Stone Road, near B & Q, Ratboy...if you're out that way.)
Not enough to be a problem at the very low speeds I was doing but some hooligan might come to grief if he tries to floor it at those spots.........and many more, I assume.

I've been very cautious for a few days now.

Ted
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - RattleandSmoke
Thanks for the tip, I might have to drop a computer off at Gorse Hill tomorrow, so I might get a taxi for the sake of £3-£4.

According to the forcast heavy rain and 7c on Tuesday so that should finish it off :).
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Harleyman
>> According to the forcast heavy rain and 7c on Tuesday so that should finish it
>> off :).
>>

Early summer in Manchester then? ;-)

One caution; all that snow's got to go somewhere. Get your sand bags ready.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 00:00
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Robin O'Reliant
De-clutching and keeping off the brakes on an icy road is ok on the flat, but when you find yourself on ice going down a steep or long hill it is a different ball game.
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Dog
>>De-clutching and keeping off the brakes on an icy road is ok on the flat, but when you find yourself on ice going down a steep or long hill it is a different ball game<<

Well, then you've 'had your chips', I'm afraid.
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Ted
Yup, just sit back and let both the car and your bowels do what they have to !

Ted
 Suzuki Jimny - Oops - Westpig
It's bad down in Devon, Martin.

My sister impressed me early in December when we had snow, she took me up a narrow Dartmoor lane that's quite steep, to visit her horses. The lane was covered in snow and ice, she wasn't fazed in the slightest (month old Mitsubishi Shogun with the standard manufacturers tyres).

Rang her this morning and the same lane had her slide right back down again, worried she was going to stuff it right up the hedge, she said it was difficult to even walk on.
Latest Forum Posts