Motoring Discussion > Final guess what ive bought :-) Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 52

Final guess what ive bought :-) - Stuu
Ok, Rattle, your usually good at this. I actually won the car I wanted, or atleast the best looking car I could find at short notice, the price jumped alot early on but nobody challenged me at the end.

It comes with a 1.2 engine and is a GL. And its the sort of car you would expect me to buy...

Ill post a link to the listing when someone gets it right so Zero can have a dig!
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - Skoda
Had me going there -- GL, i immediately thought Volvo! Something cool like a Volvo 340 GL, google says the smallest engine was a 1.4 though :-(

Haha, no, I wouldnt have minded one, but its much newer than that. Its also not cool, well its sort of anti-cool, which some people think is quite cool. Its subjective!
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - corax
Subaru Justy.
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - -
Knowing your varied car purchases it could be a Suzuki WagonR, i like them tbh.

Somehow can't see you buying a VW, can't think of much else you'd consider.

edit, well done Manatee...nice little motor Stu.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 18:39
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - Manatee
Suzuki Wagon R.
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - Zero
WOA!

I have been very good. I didn't call your expresso a shed, I didn't even cough when you bought a corolla.

If its a reliant heap of carp tho you will get a barrage of abuse.

Quite deservedly as well.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Dec 10 at 00:24
Manatee gets it! That was quick.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190479439716&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Damn, I was going to post that, as it was the first car that comes up if you google 1.2gl, but I thought it was too modern.

Remember what I said about crosswinds :-)
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - Tooslow
Someone's been sick on the seats.

Sorry Stu, just pulling your leg.
John
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - RattleandSmoke
Too hungover tired but GL and 1.2 erm I would have thought a Suzuki Alto but don't think they made a 1.2 version.

Looks ok to me, what engine is it the 1.2 GM Ecotec unit I had in my Corsa? That was pretty much a Suzuki design.
I honestly have no clue what the engine is. The 1.2 doesnt seem to appear in any other model they do that I could find. I wanted to know if the 1.2 was chain or belt because the 1.0 version is chain. Couldnt find an answer as yet.
If it is the Ecotec tec unit then it will be a chain but those chains do need a clean oil supply and make sure you keep the coolant fresh as the HG went on mine. It might not be the same engine I will see if I can find out.
Dreadful cut and shut job seen on that first picture!

Why are the numbers on the trip recorder out of line? It looks like the zero button has been half pushed in, but why would you photo it like that?
Yeah not sure what went on with the first pic. Still, looks tidy enough.
Not a car i would buy but yes on the surface if all that stuff written is true its a tidy motor.
Well searched on several jap car parts websites and none list a cambelt for the 1.2 or the 1.0. Heres hoping its chain...
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - madf
I look forward to the next installment of your mototing journal.

Why not write a book?
Cars I have owned and trashed?

Or
How to buy cars no-one else wants?

:-)
I dont trash em, I give them a good home :-)

That blue post box will be spotless when ive done with it and ive enough in the budget left to give it a good service too.

Given the price, clearly someone else wanted it, id have never paid that much on my own!

Seriously though, finding a car that looks good enough to invest proper money in under a grand isnt easy right now, I was getting rather fed up with trawling Ebay, but with the threat of loosing my loan car looming, I hadnt too many choices really.
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - Runfer D'Hills
Oh dear Lord.
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - spamcan61
The 1 litre is I think the 3 pot one that combines petrol economy with diesel refinement, the 1.2 the same engine as the Corsa.
You gave it away Stu...

>> its the sort of car you would expect me to buy...

Can't fault it as a tool at that price though if it's sound. And how much can there be to go wrong with one of those?
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - Iffy
I'm not a fan of Clarkson, but he did raise a titter in Iffy Towers when I heard him describe one of these as 'an MFI wardrobe on wheels'.
I used to own a lilac Daihatsu, so really, a practical blue box of a car isnt really that silly.

I have simply gone for it for practical purposes, plus it will cut my fuel bill somewhat, which with rising prices is no bad thing.

Im not sure the engine is the Ecotec as its a different capacity and very different power output. I think its prob an engine used mainly in the home market most likely.
It was the MK2 Wagon R that Suzuki twinned with GM to prouce.
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - spamcan61
>>
>> It was the MK2 Wagon R that Suzuki twinned with GM to prouce.
>>

ah right, fair enough, thought it looked a little bit less like an Agila than I expected it to.
Haha, well, back in the day, you could get fake wood panelling, like those american estates for these cars, I remember because I looked seriously at one of these before I bought my Matiz brand new in '98.
In the end the Daewoo warranty was too much to resist, but I toyed with going very cheesey and getting a green Wagon R with the fake wood, just for a laugh. I was 18, what can I say, but I didnt do it in the end.
Last edited by: stunorthants29 on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 19:30
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - R.P.
Our postmistress has one, much abused it is, I actually saw her drive into a parked van in it. But is out all hours and seems a reliable workhorse !
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - sherlock47
34k miles and new discs? this year.

Looks tidy tho'
>> Our postmistress has one, much abused it is, I actually saw her drive into a
>> parked van in it. But is out all hours and seems a reliable workhorse !

Is it red? Does she have a black and white cat?
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - BiggerBadderDave
On the fourth pic down showing the photo of the back seat, there seems to be a strange winding handle stuck to the door card.
You're going to need a bulk supplier for the paper bags with eyeholes pre-cut in them. Save time in a morning and so on...

:-)
>>You're going to need a bulk supplier for the paper bags with eyeholes pre-cut in them. Save time in a morning and so on...

It's an ill wind...at least Stu won't have to fret about whether to take his car keys to bed with him.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 19:40
Aye true.
You lot are so mean. 100% expected mind ;-)

Final guess what ive bought :-) - Dog
well done stu, it's the ideal vehicle - for anyone over 75 years of age.

:)
Or someone with a bad back and who needs to carry alotta stuff around :-)

Retired people are quite sensible tho, ill take it as a positive.
 Final guess what ive bought :-) - bathtub tom
It looks like someone's taken some time to clean it up to sell. Nothing wrong with that. The plastic bumper's got a scratch in the paint - so what.

I hope it turns out to be a good-un for you. Could be a useful little tool for your business use.

Let's face it, I'm not gonna criticise with what I drive. ;>)
Fair play Tom, but your's does at least look a bit like a car.
I did like the fact that it looked like it was cared for. I now have the address for collection and it looks like a very smart street, often a good sign of how people take care of whats theirs, cars included.

Its also had a fairly recent exhaust, a good thing on a car thats prob done alot of cold runs judging by the mileage and its had recent brake work done, brakes being know for rusting on these with low miles, so again, another box ticked.

Im actually quite excited, dont laugh.
Last edited by: stunorthants29 on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 20:05
>>Or someone with a bad back and who needs to carry alotta stuff around :-)<<

My ole (75) brother has the Vx Agilla, he is (or was) 6' 3" and has had a 'bad' back for, oh - probably 40 years now,
he also had to have 2 vertebrae fused together.

At least they are *very* reliable cars :}
>>At least they are *very* reliable cars :}<<

Are they?
They are the Shackleton's High Seat Chair of motor cars - excellent advance planning for when you're getting on a bit -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBv-SxCcuXI

(My favourite ad by the way. At least 30 years old. All chairs of this style have been referred to as 'shackletons' in our family ever since).
>>Are they?<<

Good: Cheap, roomy, urban runabout with a perky engine. Far better styling than the previous version. Owners rate it.

Re: your back, you really should read "Treat your own back" by Robin McKenzie.
Haha, mine IS the previous version!
>>Haha, mine IS the previous version!<<

Same thing innit (I'm keeping me ed down!)

Good: Surprisingly roomy, economical and rated highly by owners. Undemanding to drive and the 996cc is a screamer.
>> Haha, mine IS the previous version!

Thank the lord for that, I really didnt think anything could be worse looking than that.
Ssangyong Rodius. Ill never buy one, so ill never have the ugliest car on the road. A comforting thought.
Last edited by: stunorthants29 on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 20:37
>> >>Are they?<<

I thought you of all people would do metaphor Dog.

>> Good: Cheap, roomy, urban runabout with a perky engine. Far better styling than the previous version. Owners rate it.

Exactly. They love 'em just as much as their comfy chairs. Very sensible choice. Perhaps a bit more sensible than most 30 year olds would go for... but not at all incongruous with Stu.
>>I thought you of all people would do metaphor Dog.<<

I think everyone who owns a gaz guzzling 4X4 should be made to drive one BY LAW - for the sake of the planet
(and its inhabitants!)
I must admit, driving around in my dads Materia has shown just how nice it is, despite it being very obscure, something most people would never recognise let alone buy.

Not every good car is mainstream. Infact the cars ive liked the most have always been a bit unusual.
>> Re: your back, you really should read "Treat your own back" by Robin McKenzie.

He won't have time Dog, he'll be too busy bent over the engine bay scratching his head and pondering the next set of wheels, while the next vertabrae cracks in half.

:o}
(hehe!) - I've got to go and watch some telly now, all this larfing is doing me back in :)
Latest Forum Posts