Motoring Discussion > It must be me... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 7

It must be me... - borasport
but there are some things I just can't see the point of...

Sections of the M6 are having the lights turned off from midnight to 5am as a cost saving measure - no problem with that.

But why do we need signs at the side of the carriage way, slip roads and service station exits telling us about it - who's going to get the the exit of Charnock Richard services, see the sign and suddenly say 'I daren't go any furhter, it will be dark'. What is the point of a sign telling us the lights are not on when it will be obvious they are not on.

And if we are turning off the carriageway lights to reduce electricity consumption, why are the signs telling us the lights are being turned off illuminated ?

Is it too late, are the lunatics already running the asylum ?
 It must be me... - Stuu
I expect its some obscure EU rule on health and safety. Like those signs that warn that a fall from a roof may be an injury risk - do you think?
The lunatics in this country are currently in opposition, but Im afraid the european lunatics rule supreme.
 It must be me... - Tooslow
The idiots have been in charge for some time, simply by virtue of being in the majority. I just have to think of all the signs that appeared at work when admin got a Dymo.... :-(

John
 It must be me... - borasport
>> The idiots have been in charge for some time

It's time to give up.
currently watching the Harry Potter film on ITV, and whoever is responsible for the links to adverst cannot spell Phoenix......................................

It must be me... - Runfer D'Hills
...or adverts...
:-)
 It must be me... - Manatee
I expect it cuts down on the number of reports that the lights have gone out. It might also prepare drivers for being plunged into darkness at midnight.

I can think of loonier things. Such as putting the lights there in the first place, if it's possible to manage without them.
 It must be me... - Iffy
The lighting of motorways through the night was questioned many years ago.

I read then the power stations worked more efficiently under constant loads, so not only was turning the lights on not wasteful, it could be beneficial.

It must be me... - Old Navy
>> I can think of loonier things. Such as putting the lights there in the first
>> place, if it's possible to manage without them.
>>

We have a five way roundabout which went from free flowing without traffic lights, to a nightmare of congestion with 16 sets of lights. It must have cost tens of thousands of pounds to screw that roundabout up.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 16:03
Latest Forum Posts