Motoring Discussion > Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 18

Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - sooty123
I'm looking at the swift as a possibilty and couldn't find much out about them from the owners. I think I'd get a petrol either a 1.5 or 1.6 sport. Any information would be good thanks :)
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - diddy1234
Maybe these owners reviews will help.

www.roadtestreports.co.uk/road-test-reports/Suzuki/Swift/#carreviews

and

www.parkers.co.uk/cars/owners-review/search.aspx?range=100382#Body=Hatchback
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Wed 15 Dec 10 at 18:24
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - movilogo
Although I don't own it myself (though I owned a Suzuki Ignis before which had same engine as of Swift), my friend has one and never faced any problem.

Suzukis are usually good - bit basic but reliable overall.

Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - BiggerBadderDave
I don't like small cars or superminis. But if I was ever in the market for one it would be a Suzuki Swift. I think it's a fabulous looking little car, absolutely spot on from any angle. Don't get anything other than a red one though.
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - Iffy
Colleague had a couple of Swifts which served him well.

He bought a small Citroen earlier this year, but only because he fancied a change.
Thanks so far. How far did your colleague travel, I'm just wondering was it ok for a 100 mile journey on mways?
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - Iffy
...thanks so far. How far did your colleague travel...

Mostly shorter journeys I expect, although I'm sure a Swift is as good on the motorway as anything else in its class.

Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - spamcan61
>> ...thanks so far. How far did your colleague travel...
>>
>> Mostly shorter journeys I expect, although I'm sure a Swift is as good on the
>> motorway as anything else in its class.
>>
Hopefully much better than a MINI, without doubt the most uncomfortable motorway cruising car I've ridden in.
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - madf
Lollipop lady here has one - for two years. very pleased with it. Good mpg and 100% releiable..
Any idea of realist mpg on a long run?
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - Pezzer
I seem to remember Aprilla (?) who used to frequent the 'other place' and who seemed to know a bit, especially about Subarus, had got one either for SWMBO or his daughter and he was impressed with it.

ps what ever happened to him as I used to find his posts interesting and informative- was there a falling out ?
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - Dave_
My friend had a 99T reg Swift, he scrappage'd it last year against a brand new 09 reg Swift. His mum and dad have both bought Suzukis and he evangelises about the make to anyone who'll listen. I would suggest they're a pretty good, under-rated car.
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - VxFan
>> ps what ever happened to him as I used to find his posts interesting and informative- was there a falling out ?

He just stopped posting and vanished. I can't recall him falling out with anyone. Occasional difference of opinion with one or two members, maybe , but not a full blown argument.
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - rtj70
Aprilia will have had an invite to look here from someone... they obviously chose not to join. Unless they adopted a new name.
Had a look around one today a thought they were quite nice inside a few bits from the toyota parts bin. Apart from that they were better than I thought, nicer inside than the fabia that I compared it to. Even the VRS inside wasn't much different inside than the base model. Will be sure to book a test drive and see what they are like to drive, one to look at my next car change.
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - Dave_
>> the fabia that I compared it to. Even the VRS

My uncle bought a used '05 SEAT Ibiza Cupra FR TD PD 130bhp diesel thingy a couple of years back - he test drove a Fabia vRS (same car underneath) but preferred the ride of the SEAT. Something to consider?
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - Avant
Elder daughter had a test drive in one and liked it, but she got a better deal on a new Yaris (her fourth), despite the Swift having a lower list price.

Since then (summer' 09) Suzuki have dropped the 1.5 and the new petrol engine is a 1.2 - said to be as lively as the previous 1.3 by road testers. I don't know why they dropped the 1.5.

Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - Redviper
Wife to be’s dad has one – faultless, agile, looks good, and surprisingly roomy
 Suzuki Swift - Anyone have one? - Rhubarb
We bought a 59 plate pre-reg 1.5 GLS Swift 6 months ago and we are very pleased with it. It is used mainly by my wife but we've done a couple of longish runs (100 - 150 miles each way) in the car and it has been fine for travel at legal speeds on motorways and A roads. We bought a 5 door and it has ample room and easy access/egress for 4 large adults and my mother who is in her eighties with dodgy knees and hips can get in and out with little problem.

Now it has loosened up a bit the engine seems to be quite torquey for a small car and we get about 43MPG on local runs and I brimmed it on the long runs and saw about 47MPG. My brother has had a 1.5 Swift for 3 years or so and I drove his before looking at cars for ourselves. I could certainly feel the difference between the 1.3 and 1.5 to drive. I asked the agents why Suzuki dropped the 1.5 and they all said that people preferred the 1.3 for economy. The larger engine might be a disadvantage at selling time but as I intend to keep the car as long as possible I don't think this will be a problem here. I had a short run in a 1.6 sport but found the ride far too hard.

The car has the "roller skate" feel of the original Mini handling wise and that coupled to the 1.5 engine with sensible gearing makes the car great fun to drive around A & B roads in North Wales. My brother's Swift has been totally reliable as has ours up to now, hopefully it will continue that way.

If you need any further info just ask.
Latest Forum Posts