Motoring Discussion > Spring in the air? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 19

Spring in the air? - -
No not that, far too worn out to be thinking of dragging swmbo around the haybarn.

Decided spring is sprung so the winter wheels and tyres came off the pick up today, the car is in for service and MOT so they'll get changed over when i get it back.

The girl's pleased to see her pukka truck wheels back on but not too chuffed at the 2K miles it'll take to bed in the new set of summer tyres...tee hee.

The rustproofing seems to have held up well, a few exposed chassis/suspension points will need to be touched up sometime in April when the salts gone and i can get the chassis spotless clean again.
Exhaust does look sorry though despite painting with heatproof paint, that'll be getting a stainless (decat?) in due course i shouldn't wonder.

Got the fleet washed this weekend and enjoyed the sunshine.

Can't wait to be rid of the road salt.

Spring in the air? - Bagpuss
It's still snowing here in Munich and last week it was -12C, so the winter tyres will be staying on both cars for a while yet.

When spring finally does arrive I'm planning on taking the Merc to have the underside dry ice cleaned and the rustproofing in the sills and box sections renewed.
 Spring in the air? - Dave
We've still got about 3' of snow, and with daytime temps struggling to reach 2, and nightime still well below zero, I think spring is still some way off.

I took my pickup off the road for the winter, but had a quick look underneath when it went into the garage. It came dinitrolled from the port, and they did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, they put it on on top of the factory chassis paint. So that promptly falls off, and so does the dinitrol. All the gravel roads here also give it a hard time on all the leading edges of everything underneath as well.

So when it's warmed up enough for the dinitrol aerosols to start working again, I'll give all the dodgy bits the once over.

I did paint the calipers and drums with smoothrite as soon as I bought it new, and that's held up really well. Hopefully, if I can keep it off the road every winter, it should all stay that way.
 Spring in the air? - Ted

My dear GB.......I haven't sprung in the air since about 1985 !

Ted
 Spring in the air? - R.P.
....time for bed !
 Spring in the air? - Zero
I remember snow at easter one year
 Spring in the air? - crocks
About 1972 drove from London to North Wales at easter to go camping.
Snowed on way there. Pitched tents in about four inches of snow before shovelling it out from within tent. Absolutely freezing overnight. Had to crunch ice out of walking socks before I put them on the next morning.
Never went back.

Today was tropical by comparison.
 Spring in the air? - henry k
>> I remember snow at easter one year
>>
In the later part of April 1978 the dafs in my garden were poking out of the snow. That was in Hounslow Middx which is not a known cold area.
 Spring in the air? - Iffy
Spring to me means nothing more strenuous than refitting the windbreak to the CC3 and giving the roof up/down button the occasional push.
 Spring in the air? - BiggerBadderDave
When I opened the blinds on the patio doors yesterday, the sun shone through and most of the lawn was visible with just a few die-hard patches of snow in the shady areas. It made me feel instantly happy and my thoughts turned to bbqs and lawn-mowers.

Today everything is under 10 inches of snow, the largest single fall we've had all winter which in turn, has been the worst I've known in the six years I've been here. I'm going to finish my coffee and then I'll have to go out and clear my section. Enough is enough, bring on Summer.
 Spring in the air? - Dog
Spring has sprung in Cornwall - it sprang last week ~
www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/4434311369
 Spring in the air? - L'escargot
I thought from the title that the thread was going to be about the one which hit Felipe Massa last year.
;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 15 Mar 10 at 12:58
 Spring in the air? - -
ever optimistic, pick up now wax polished for the first time this year except the roof which is a balancing act of standing on the tyres and side steps and leaning over, i'll leave that till the knees feel better, weather's still good though feels like it might rain...the birds are courting madly and jostling over territory.

good to be about, and i don't want to go back to work next week.

edit swmbo has just produced a packet of choc hob nobs..mmm...;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 15 Mar 10 at 15:29
 Spring in the air? - Pat
We've got frogs mating in the pond so the frog spawn won't be long now!

Pat
 Spring in the air? - -
Haven't had a bowl of tapioca milk pudding for years....swmbo get in that kitchen...if you for one moment imagine i've said aloud that you must be barmier than i am.;)
 Spring in the air? - madf
First frost free week so far since December.

Frogs moving but still cold so I expect no spawn this week.

Lots of crocus and snowdrops.

I expect a short spring as it will be very compressed due to the cold. Ran in shorts yesterday - as opposed to track suit trousers - for the first time this year..A sure sign of warmer weather. And no mittens - another first.. Given that cars were crashing near us last week due to ice .. a sudden thaw.

Water shortage next.
Last edited by: madf on Mon 15 Mar 10 at 16:22
 Spring in the air? - Ted

Very pleasant few days here, on the other side of the tracks.
Things are sprouting in the patio tubs, I don't know what they are . Thats Mrs Cams' job.
The birds are coughing in the trees and the postman's just shoved my water rates bill through the letter box to spoil it all !

Ted
 Spring in the air? - -
Aptly named thread after all.

Just spoken to my MB indy and the cars got a broken rear spring, he should have a pair from MB delivered tomorrow.
I know exactly what caused it, got caught out just after the snow cleared on the way to work early hours one morning, hit a new pot hole very hard about 60 thought i'd wrecked a front tyre, it didn't but it did put a slight flat on the wheel rim which is now on the back.
Seems i didn't get away as lightly as i thought.

Ah yes and like SotC, the rates/council tax/whatever its called this week demand popped through the door, up 3.5%.
Whats this 'demand' bit, i always pay me bills no one needs to demand anything from me, except trust maybe these days.

Spring in the air? - Vicar of Bray
tell me spring has arrived in yorkshire.... Back on friday.
 Spring in the air? - Vicar of Bray
washed salt off frames bfore departing, you see..

Heavy coating of castrol cl grease untouched on the vans nether regions..
Latest Forum Posts