Motoring Discussion > DVLA - Isn't it about time this was electronic? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 8

DVLA - Isn't it about time this was electronic? - RattleandSmoke
Just recieved my new log book for my dads car (its now in my name) but I haven't yet recieved anything from the DVLA to say I no longer own my new vehicle. I phoned DVLA and they said they sent me a letter over a week ago.

I have not recieved it, they have now sent me a new one out.

With so much stuff going missing in the post surely its about time the transfer of log books etc was all done electronically?

It seems mad that something as serious as the registered ownership of a car relies on theiving gits in the sorting offices and the trustworthyness of the postman to actually deliver it.

DVLA - Isn't it about time this was electronic? - R.P.
Read it somewhere that it was on the horizon.
 DVLA - Isn't it about time this was electronic? - Zero
Well firstly it is all electronic, the V5 is after all only a piece of paper for you to read

Secondly if you mean completely electronic, with a PDF delivered to your mailbox, then thats not much good for my mum who doesent have a PC, or know how to use one.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 13 Mar 10 at 12:26
 DVLA - Isn't it about time this was electronic? - Stuartli
The only websites that are Government related that allow immediate transfers, it would seem, are those involved in bringing in tax revenue...:-)

Think TV licences, road fund licences etc.
 DVLA - Isn't it about time this was electronic? - henry k
This type of response
>>....then thats not much good for my mum who doesent have a PC, or know how to use one.
>>
seems to be ignored in many aspects when dealing with companies and organisation.

" Its all on the website" is another response that is useless to many.
SWMBO has just had heated words on the phone with some "spotty" poorly trained yoof.
who used this tactic.

it is a case of do the research first AND talk to the customer before coding starts.

Spot on Zero.
 DVLA - Isn't it about time this was electronic? - RattleandSmoke
The paper form would still be used but when you sell the car you then inform DVLA via website so the database is updated instantly. Now there could be problems with security but I wonder if this could be solved by the government giving each UK citizen an email address?

It could something like

yournamexxx@britishcitizen.gov.uk
 DVLA - Isn't it about time this was electronic? - Bellboy
excellent idea rattle the govt giving you an id
why not have cameras in the house too so they can see you are eating your greens
and maybe log in when you get home from work so you arent doing too many hours overtime outside the eu directive
lets just keep the system we have now perhaps? but possibly make mail theft from her majesty a more easily punished crime or is it the post office themselves dumping mail so as to justify the current 39 pence postage cost and non delivery
while we are talking mail all my paperwork relating to my insurance renewal has gone missing in the post so im now going to have to rewrite everything i put down again to my new broker
 DVLA - Isn't it about time this was electronic? - oldnotbold
"yournamexxx@britishcitizen.gov.uk"

or better still, YourNInumber@britishcitizen.gov.uk
 DVLA - Isn't it about time this was electronic? - Zero
my mother doesent have email
Latest Forum Posts