Motoring Discussion > Driving at night - glare on glasses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 64

Driving at night - glare on glasses - RattleandSmoke
I need glasses for driving but I am finding when driving at night if cars are coming the other way I get glare on my glasses. I find it helps if my glasses are cleen but it is still a little bit of a problem. I have a 20 mile round trip next week in the dark in a new area I don't know so the last thing I want is to be distracted by this.

Is their any tips to try and avoid this?
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - paulb
1) Ensure that the inside of the windscreen is clean, also - consider giving it a going-over with Fast Glass or similar.

2) Don't look at the oncoming lights!
I can't avoid looking at the oncoming lights. I have some Autoglym glass cleaner I could try, made a big difference when I spent an hour on my dads banger when I had it.

My car is only on 1600 miles and 6 months old though, I would have thought it was too new to need a clean inside?
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - R.P.
Clean it Rattle - you' be surprised !
Thanks, I will do it tomorrow before my journey :).

I am guessing the headlights are reflecting on dirt specs on the windscreen and my glasses are amplifying it.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - Bromptonaut
I've worn glasses since I was 12 and have never noticed them as increasing glare (provided they're clean). OTOH film on the interior of the car's glass is a real issue. New cars can be worst as stuff given off by trim plastics & seat covers/fillings stick to the windscreen.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - BiggerBadderDave
A Panda, glasses AND a hearing aid Rattle?

You must be a hit with the ladies.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - corax
Rattle, have you got an anti reflection coating on your glasses?
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - hawkeye
>> Rattle, have you got an anti reflection coating on your glasses?
>>

If you haven't, you should have; I find it helps a lot.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - paulb
Ours get filthy in next to no time. You'd be surprised at the crud that gets through the ventilation system, even where there is a pollen filter.

Use the Glym. Use it regularly.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - -
It's not just inside either it's the stuff in car washnwax that causes a film especially when it rains.

Anyway following on from t'other thread, keep all windows spotlessly clean for maximum leching potential.
Thanks will do :).

I don't have any coating on the glasses, I thought it was a bit of a con since the cost was nearly 50% of the cost of the glasses and I was completly skint when I got them.

I don't wear hearing aids, I in the past but I don't need them so I don't wear them.

In some ways I may like a pensioner but believe me in many ways I am anything but!.

You tell him Rats !
>> I don't have any coating on the glasses, I thought it was a bit of
>> a con since the cost was nearly 50% of the cost of the glasses and
>> I was completly skint when I got them.

I'll tell you now it makes a big difference. I wear glasses. I had to wear my old back up pair when I was getting my usual ones made up with new lenses. My old ones didn't have the anti reflection coating, and driving at night in them was pretty horrible, I got far more dazzle from headlamps. I was glad when I got my usual ones back.

Clean the inside of your windscreen like the others say, but get the anti reflection coated lenses. They virtually do them as standard now. You will notice the difference.
Last edited by: corax on Sat 20 Nov 10 at 21:44
Thanks. I wonder if I can order them online? I know what type of lens I need.
>> Thanks. I wonder if I can order them online? I know what type of lens
>> I need.

As long as you know the perscription you should be able to get them a lot cheaper online. I havn't gone down that route but seriously considering it next time. You might need to know your pupillary distance (the distance between your eyes). Most places can tell you how to measure it yourself.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - sherlock47
A few years ago I had a pair of glasses made in Vietnam. The interesting thing was that the frames were marked as 'made in Italy'. My previous pair obtained from Boots were 'made in korea'.
Guess which pair cost $10 and which pair £100.
>> Guess which pair cost $10 and which pair £100.

Yep, glasses are a con at the opticians.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - Runfer D'Hills
Mine were expensive. £11.99 from Sainsburys. Wasn't going to have the cheap ones from Morrisons...

:-)
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - sherlock47
Rattle may have found a solution to his girl friend problems!
He actually said "In some ways I may like a pensioner "

Rattle,what is your middle name, Wayne?
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 20 Nov 10 at 21:48
I should point out I got in at 3:30am, I had to be up at 8:30, so I am missing a few words out it may be due to a severe lack of sleep.

And do it is not Wayne :).

Driving at night - glare on glasses - John H
>> I have a 20 mile round trip next week in the dark in a new
>> area I don't know so the last thing I want is to be distracted by
>> this.
>>
>> Is their any tips to try and avoid this?
>>

:-) Yes, make sure you let us know your route so we can make sure we avoid you!

Seriously, have you thought about giving up driving?

Last edited by: John H on Sat 20 Nov 10 at 23:30
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - bathtub tom
Clean your glasses, and clean your windscreen.

When I first started riding a motorbike, I very quickly learned to focus much further away than the split in the lense of the MK9s: tinyurl.com/28w5fal
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - Pat
I have to agree with Corax here.
I've always had the anti reflective coating and wouldn't be without it.

You can avoid looking at lights coming towards you Rattle.
Focus on the kerb or grass verge, and if your eyes are drawn towards oncoming lights, think about that pedestrian or unlit cyclist that may be on your nearside.

It just needs a bit of practice but don't worry, your confidence will come eventually with driving.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sun 21 Nov 10 at 05:20
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - Dog
>>When I first started riding a motorbike, I very quickly learned to focus much further away than the split in the lense of the MK9s: tinyurl.com/28w5fal<<

Mrk9's hey ... I've got a pair of WW2 Mrk8's in their original cardboard box, must be worth a few bob?
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - henry k
>> >>When I first started riding a motorbike, I very quickly learned to focus much further
>> away than the split in the lense of the MK9s: tinyurl.com/28w5fal<<
>>
Thread drift
There was a cottage industry in my area ( St Margarets next to Twickenham) when I was at junior school, making those goggles.
My job, at home, was to glue the pigskin adjusting tabs. Lots of families did various parts at home. It was a common sight to see tea chests of part completed items being wheeled around going to the next process.
How things change. It is now a very very expensive area to live in.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - 832ark
>> Is their any tips to try and avoid this?
>>

>:-) Yes, make sure you let us know your route so we can make sure we avoid you!

>Seriously, have you thought about giving up driving?

I was just thinking this very same thing. If the prospect of driving in certain circumstances worries you so much I really think driving's not for you.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - L'escargot
Is the problem your glasses or have you got an eye problem such as cataracts? Get your eyes tested.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - Zero
>> Is the problem your glasses or have you got an eye problem such as cataracts?

Cataracts? at 28?
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - Mapmaker
Clean your glases - not with a cloth that smears the grease around, but with washing up liquid and hot water, then polish them with lint-free cloth. Actually, you're in Manchester so the water is so soft you can just leave them to dry naturally. Then treat them like your camera lens, and don't put your fingers/greasy eyebrow/etc. anywhere near them.

And clean the inside of your windscreen.

And don't let that wash 'n' wax muck ANYWHERE near your windscreen.
>> Clean your glases - not with a cloth that smears the grease around, but with
>> washing up liquid and hot water, then polish them with lint-free cloth.

Good tip MM, I do that myself after a week at work, it's a nightmare trying to clean glasses when they've got grease on them. Mine tend to get grubby in summer because I wear suncream on my face which then gets on the glasses.
I bought some leaning fluid from a supermarket - lives in a small enough spray bottle to be portable on the bike. Refill with either distilled or mineral water add a dash of vinegar - the business.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - madf
I clean glasses with micro fibre cloth and vinegar solution. Works a treat - and with vinegar at 17p per 500ml from Asda value range, dirt cheap..

Also ideal for house windows. And add vinegar to car wax when washing car. Windows look superb.. Pity about the parking dents!
Last edited by: madf on Sun 21 Nov 10 at 18:47
Cheap as er...chips that !
Cleaned the windscreen with my autoglym glass polish and gave my glasses a very good clean. Seemed to make a big difference, just need to look into getting some coated glasses.
Rats,

I think I got a cheapo pair from glasses2U or somesuch around 30 quid coated..go for a quick drive around the block after dark to check your night vision.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - Dog
>>Clean your glases - not with a cloth that smears the grease around, but with washing up liquid and hot water<<

Not ideal - washing up liquid contains salt.

Vinegar in water is just dandy, but use white vinegar.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - VxFan
I seem to recall my dad used to clean his glasses with shaving foam when he went for his evening shave.
Just remember Rattle you can't be optimistic with a misty optic.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 21 Nov 10 at 21:09
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - rtj70
My glasses and the few pairs before them have anti-scratch and anti-glare coatings. The latter was shown/demonstrated to me and it was a no brainer to get it. Next time I will consider doing what others on here do though - get glasses online.

Someone will say this is a big no no, but cleaning glasses, laptop screen, iPhone/iPod touch screen.... alcohol hand wash seems to do the job well. I first got told this about laptop screens to get rid of marks by IT support and it really does seem to work well. Not my laptop I tested it on though!
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - Stuu
I wear mine all the time and ive never once had trouble with glare at night, I just look where Im going, which hopefully isnt in the same direction as oncoming traffic...
But the headlights from other cars was reflecting into my glasses. Now I have cleaned my window with Autoglym it has made a bit difference. Do need to sort out my glasses but there are a lot of meaurements I need to know.
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - rtj70
>> Do need to sort out my glasses but there are a lot of meaurements I need to know.

Then get laser eye surgery? :-) Not for me though.

I find getting the film of the windscreen makes a big difference.
I like wearing glasses anyway, it goes well with my image :). It has made a massive difference, but I suppose the windscreen never really gets washed, only with the shampoo wax and of course at this time of the year the dirty rain falls on it too.

I had a 5 mile drive back in the dark before and the glare wasn't a problem at all, but will still look into a third pair of glasses with the coating to help things further.

Driving at night - glare on glasses - CGNorwich
"anti-scratch and anti-glare coatings"

Having been persuaded to buy these in the past I am convinced that they do little apart from increasing the optician's profits. They are the equivalent of the expensive polish they try to sell you when buying a new car! I find the best way to clean glasses is with a little washing up liquid under the tap and dry with a lint free cloth.

Driving at night - glare on glasses - henry k
>>I am convinced that they do little apart from increasing the optician's profits.
>> They are the equivalent of the expensive polish they try to sell you when buying a new car!
>>
I cannot agree with either of those statements.
I always was aware of the cosmetic aspect of anti reflective coatings that make the wearer look better but was not so sure of the anti glare aspect.

Read all about it in
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-reflective_coating
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - WillDeBeest
I couldn't disagree more, CGN. The cosmetic element is more to with high-refractivity materials, which make thinner lenses. The coatings - which you can have on ordinary plastic lenses - protect the lenses from surface scratches (which themselves will cause problems with oncoming lights) and reduce reflections.

An uncoated camera lens would be barely usable. Not by coincidence, the best spectacle lenses I've had were made by Pentax, which pioneered multicoating and still - to my eye - produces the best photographic colours.

Has anyone else mentioned that your optician has an important role to play here? You'll need him to fit your glasses properly, because if the lenses aren't correctly centred over your eyes, they won't help your vision and may cause headaches and worse. I'm all for shopping online to keep the high street honest, but vision is too important for shortcuts. Do it properly.
Well all I can say is I ha e tried anti reflective coatings and they don't do anything for me. Indeed I still have a pair with such coatings ( my prescription has not changed for years) and I tried them again this morning in direct comparison with my current non glare coated glasses.

No discernable difference
But try them again after dark this evening. They come into their own when faced with multiple light sources: to me, they make the difference between a mass of oncoming lights and discernible light and dark shapes, vehicles and pedestrians. I wear contacts at work and for daylight driving, but I swap them for my glasses before a drive home after dark because the coated lenses make it so much easier and more comfortable.
I was driving in them at 6.30 this morning through the traffic of Norwich!

Apart form making no discernable difference in vision the other thing I don't like about the anti glare coating they are more difficult to get clean. Coating seems to attract smears
 Driving at night - glare on glasses - hobby
I have to admit that the anti glare works for me as well... perhaps each individual is different... Re the cost of glasses, I have a pair which are used in the car for driving only... they are a cheap pair as I don't really care what people think... Perhaps Rattle should look at this option... with some of the deals they have the High St option can be just as cheap as the 'net at the cheap end...
I bought a couple of pairs over the net - they were not quality items - generally you get what you pay for....ideal as a spare/emergency pair though. I have noticed that the lenses on one pair seem to have yellowed slightly with age.
See an opticiian and tell him about the problem. Cataracts can occur at any age, for a variety of reasons.

1. Congenital syphilis
2. Diabetes
3. Galactokinase deficiency
4. Galactosemia I
5. Lowe oculocerebrorenal syndrome
6. Marinesco-Sjogren syndrome
7. Patau syndrome
8. Pierre Robin's sequence
9. Systemic Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
L'Es, please tell us that list was a copy-and-paste job and you don't carry that stuff around in your head.
}:---)
I only had my last eye test done in September and it didn't pick up any problems. I had all the tests done.

Driving at night - glare on glasses - movilogo
May be I'm stating the obvious, but did you try running the blower/heater over windscreen? This clears the mist which is main reason for glare.

I wear glasses sometime glasses on my spectacles also mist up.

Keep a sponge in the car - works very well to demist the inside in a single quick swipe.
With air con you shouldn't have to demist at all (almost) unless you have a leaky car.
There is no aircon on my car as it is the poverty spec Active. The dimist blower works extremely well though and only takes a second to clear it. Mist wasn't the problem it was just the reflections from the lights, cleaning my windscreen has made a massive difference.
>> There is no aircon on my car as it is the poverty spec Active. The
>> dimist blower works extremely well though and only takes a second to clear it.

The other point about cleaning the windscreen from inside is that it makes it much easier for the blower to clear any mist that builds up. The mist tends to stick to the layer of grease on a dirty windscreen, and it takes longer to clear.

I would still get the coated lenses. Most people here reinforce my opinion. If you get them from an online retailer, they won't have cost you a bomb if you find they don't make a difference at night.
>> L'Es, please tell us that list was a copy-and-paste job ...........

I confess, it was.
We're glad in a way L'es - :-)
Microfibre cloths are ideal to clean windscreens and glasses.

You lot are living in the Middle Ages - metaphorically..

>> Microfibre cloths are ideal to clean windscreens and glasses.

You must have smooth hands. Microfibre cloths stick to the roughness of my hands. Eugh!
>>
>> You must have smooth hands. Microfibre cloths stick to the roughness of my hands. Eugh!
>>

Baby oil and pumice stone...
www.glasses2you.co.uk/acatalog/Cubik.html

Rats,

I've used these people and were OK
Latest Forum Posts