Motoring Discussion > Motorpoint opinions Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Baz Replies: 13

Motorpoint opinions - Baz
My recent experiences of late have not been uplifting: Screen prices not negotiable but at the same time seeming to offer little in the way of advantage, an "admin" fee of around £87 added to the screen price and a fairly hard sell. Capped off in my instance by a sales person who became more than a little irate when I turned down the ridiculous part-ex offer. Car on offer also needed 2 new tyres and new trims.
When it was set up, it really was worth a look and there was no pressure at all. Anyone else's opinions? I shall not be visiting again soon!

Motorpoint opinions - John H
They continue to pile 'em high and shift them at a fast rate. must be doing something right most of the time.
 Motorpoint opinions - -
Having had excellent (pleasantly surprised) incl after sales service from a small Citroen dealer and the continuing first class service from my local Toyota dealer and good value from both i see no reason to risk the car wholesale approach unless there's so much difference in the purchase price that there's no contest.

Considering just how complicated new vehicles are then it seems to me there's 2 ways to motor these days.
Either buy relatively or new from a possibly smaller dealer who wants to keep you coming back* or go the bangernomics route and throw it away when it breaks.

Car supermarkets might just have passed their sell by date with newer models imo.

*it's no good expecting the dealer to bend over backwards when warranty is out for instance if they know you only use them for warranty work and get everything else done elsewhere or not at all, customer/business relationship is a two way street.
 Motorpoint opinions - R.P.
Didn't HJ rate them very highly and was very very defensive of them ?
 Motorpoint opinions - Zero
His wallet was.
 Motorpoint opinions - Iffy
I wasn't too impressed with the prices when I last looked a while ago.

The specs of the cars can be odd.

For example, a Zetec Focus with no aircon because it's an extra in Malta where the car came from.

I think the likes of Motorpoint may have done the car buying public a favour in the long term by forcing the main dealers to compete.

Motorpoint opinions - Perky Penguin
Having spent some summers in Malta I would think a/c bordered on the essential, in this century anyway!
 Motorpoint opinions - Falkirk Bairn
Motorpoint's selling point was imports - bought one and delighted with the price 3 years ago.

££££ has fallen and no longer can they import standard cars from Malta, Cyprus etc - they seem to pick up job lots but sometimes the car/van is an odd spec - SSangyong KYron vans @ £8K is an example.

The rest of their stock is Day rent cars from auctions - any dealer can buy these and they are not very cheap = like the imports were years ago.

They need to rethink their offering.
Thye need to revamp their website so you can select mileage age etc - just model and price currently
 Motorpoint opinions - Fenlander
I posted elsewhere at the time but they were a place we looked 11mths ago for Mrs F's C3.

For me I hated their intense sales pressure to buy a car unseen from another depot as if we should trust the claim *our reputation is such all are cars will be better than you would expect so don't worry about it*. To them our proposed new car was just a stock number.

Didn't like the fact we would have to pay big money for the warranty to get anywhere the Citroen *no exclusions* used car warranty. Their target was to upsell £500-£1000 of extras on top of the car's cost.

Also it seemed every other dealer's C3 was in a nice metallic but they only had flat colours.

The only upside was getting one reg plate newer (6mths less in age) and 10k mls less for the same price.
 Motorpoint opinions - mikeyb
They are not as cheap as they once were.
My choice of VW dealer (not my closest) are often advertising stuff at the same price, but with the VW warranty, a bit of haggling room, and a service / stamped book before delivery, in fact the Mrs sharan was the same price at motorpoint (ex hire) 10K as the pre reg one I bought from a main dealer. Main dealer also gave a bag of sand more in part ex

I agree though that I think they may have adjusted the market in our favour by making main dealers be more competitive

I wonder if their business model work on making a good margin on the part ex's ???
 Motorpoint opinions - Niallster
Thye are pile 'em high sell 'em cheap prices are non-negotiable and the salesmen earn pennies per vehicle so are not keen on 'timewasters'.

Take a friend or even two friends with you to avoid feeling isolated and pressurised take your time demand keys to inspect the car and test drive walk away if they refuse. If its the deal for you then fine but anything you agree needs to be done such as new tyres of locating the second key get it done BEFORE you part with the cash as afterwards they don't want to know you.

Cheap for a reason and in my opinion no different to but more expensive than the auctions.

Motorpoint opinions - R.P.
Burp...
 Motorpoint opinions - Alastairw
Burp...

As my old gran used to say 'We don't pardon pigs - we shoot them!'
 Motorpoint opinions - Armel Coussine
>> As my old gran used to say 'We don't pardon pigs - we shoot them!'

I thought even non-Muslims normally cut their throats. Or are you talking about rich German sportsmen blasting wild boar in a cage?
Latest Forum Posts