Motoring Discussion > Size of brake pedal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 16

Size of brake pedal - movilogo
I thought brake pedals, in autos, are wider than their counterpart in manual cars.

However, today I was a passenger in Renault Grand Scenic auto, where the brake pedal had same width as of a manual car!

Why is so? In that case left foot braking is quite difficult ;)
 Size of brake pedal - madf
It's Renault.. (They're French you know.. Good at engines for Red Bull, carp at diesel engines)

Size of brake pedal - bathtub tom
Cheaper to produce one pedal across the model range?
 Size of brake pedal - MD
The Diesel engine in my Master is fine.
 Size of brake pedal - Zero
very good at diesel engines.
 Size of brake pedal - -
And have been for many years.
 Size of brake pedal - L'escargot
I've tried left foot braking, but decided it wasn't for me. My left foot is accustomed to pressing the clutch pedal straight down, and it has little sensitivity in downward movement.
 Size of brake pedal - -
I like traditional auto's with a brake pedal 2 to 3 times the size of a manual's pedal, something very solid and comforting about them, possibly coming from the days when only substantial cars had auto boxes.

Some auto trucks have a silly little brake pedal, and with one paricular make still using a steel floor hinged organ pedal (from the 60's/70's or maybe earlier and should have been left there) set at a position you have to move your right foot some 3 inches forward as well as to the left to get leverage when coming off the throttle.

Not a pleasant or secure failsafe set up IMO, but then it's automated gearbox from hell deserves praise as the worse example i've ever driven including it's several second delay.
 Size of brake pedal - Bellboy
ive never seen a standard brake pedal in an auto but then im a renault free zone
 Size of brake pedal - R.P.
On the subject of organ style pedals, I'm glad to see that BMW have retained their throttle in this style....fits like a sock to your foot, comfortable over a long distance drive.
 Size of brake pedal - L'escargot
>> On the subject of organ style pedals, ..............

I don't like floor-hinged organ style pedal. I find that if I keep my heel on the floor at a fixed point, the sole of my shoe has to slide on the surface of the pedal as I press it down because the pivot point for my heel isn't the same as the pivot point of the pedal. Also I found that my ankle joint has to rotate more than with a pendant pedal.
 Size of brake pedal - hawkeye
>> On the subject of organ style pedals, ...

Which cars had little rollers on the throttle pedals? (he asked, threatening to derail the thread).

ISTR Minis and Minors of long ago had tiny little curved metal pedals the size of a postage stamp.
They did Hawkeye..
 Size of brake pedal - Skip
"Which cars had little rollers on the throttle pedals? (he asked, threatening to derail the thread)."

IIRC it was the P4 "auntie" Rover that was fitted with these.

Size of brake pedal - Harleyman

>> ISTR Minis and Minors of long ago had tiny little curved metal pedals the size
>> of a postage stamp.
>>

Back on original topic, Mini automatic was one of the few which had "normal" size brake pedal.
Guess that was a cheapskate solution though HM !
 Size of brake pedal - Berisford
but then it's automated gearbox from
>> hell deserves praise as the worse example i've ever driven including it's several second delay.
>>

What vehicle is that then GB?
Latest Forum Posts