Motoring Discussion > Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 48

Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Falkirk Bairn
www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motoringvideo/8137766/Parking-rage-pensioner-rams-car-and-runs-over-driver.html

1x Problem resolved and bigger/more expensive ones made.

When I worked in Edin 25 yrs ago a few parked near the sharp corner into lockup garages used as parking - Central Edin parking was /still is difficult.

In days before alarms and immobilisers we flipped the lock, pushed the car round a bit further until the wheels were on double yellows - 2 days was the maximum before the miscreants moved on.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Manatee
I might have done this in the office car park the other day if the offending car hadn't been across my bows. Shame that the offending parker can't be banned instead. Outrageous behaviour.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Fenlander
The judge/court must have had a bad day. How this could be classed as dangerous driving with a fine/ban more in line with the mile after mile lunatic driving of car thieves on Road Wars etc.... words fail me.

In that short clip I notice the Ka driver allowed his small child to run straight across the road from behind a parked car and another driver stopping on the zig zags.... both events potentially just as dangerous as the Ka being pushed steadily into the road.

And as for awarding the Ka driver who caused the whole thing £200 for personal injury... again words fail me.

I'm totally in support of Mr 83yr old. Perhaps he should invest in one of those swing up locking posts to trap in the next car that parks there.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - bhoywonder
Fenlander could not agree more with your statement. Total disgrace. Just the way it is in this country. Happens all the time in the works car park. I used to block them in and leave my mobile number on there car to contact me. Now I just block them in and let them spend 30 minutes trying to find me. Always the same excuse I was only two minutes - funny I have been in for an hour.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - idle_chatterer
When I read the text I thought what an unpleasant fellow this must be, then I saw some stills footage and I have to admit to completely sympathising with him. I guess his actions were extreme and I'm not sure of the law regarding this sort of thing (blocking driveways) - wasn't it discussed a long time ago in a previous life on another forum ?

Anyhow, IIRC the law forbids blocking people's access if they're 'in' but not necessarily if they're 'out', how this pertains to a separate garage where you can't tell whether it's occupied or not I don't know.

From the verdict and tone of the reporting I assume this was aggravated in some way ?
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - John H
>> From the verdict and tone of the reporting I assume this was aggravated in some
>> way ?
>>

The video shows Pemberton driving his car towards Sayid Sharif, the driver of the Fiesta - at about 55 seconds in to the CCTV footage on the Telegraph web site. Sayid jumps out of the way.

Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - hawkeye
I support the old boy as well.

Between the road in front of our house and the nearby stream is a popular picnic spot in summer. Cars are left all over the place across our frontage and opposite the gate to our yard. It's the parking opposite the gate (on a single-track road) that used to make me fume. Now I've calmed down a bit; If I can't get the car out, I'll use the bicycle or motor-bike. If I need to have the trailer out, a 5-second blast on the horn and the swimming teacher's bellowed request to move has worked in the past.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Fenlander
>>>nearby stream... swimming teacher...

If things ever turn difficult seems a free trial lesson may be in order.
The Telegraph says "Pemberton, who still works running two stationary companies" - so he is an expert at dealing with stationary vehicles.

The Daily Mail at least gets it right "Pemberton, who still works running two stationery companies". It has the same report, but has a few more photos including one of Ronald Pemberton.

I think Pemberton was dealt with rather much too harshly. He has my full support for what he did, and at his age I might get grumpy and deal with uncaring selfish parkers by doing the same thing. After all, "charging" people for parking on private land is ineffective when they can take the attitude of "could pay, but won't pay" as Iffy advocates in his thread.

How should it have been dealt with? I think it should have been some straight talking to and advice to Pemberton, followed by action by the Council to stop the real culprits blocking Pemberton's garage.

Last edited by: John H on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 09:50
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Dog
He's used the garage for 20 years so he knows 'the score' Re: parking.

He should put up a sign saying cars parked here will be clamped, and buy a Denver Boot.

I thought his sentence was too harsh.

I'd probably ave done the same.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Mapmaker
Thanks, John H. I spent some time trying to think what sort of corporate structure a stationary company might be. My mind anticipating as I read guessed "stationary engines" before I came to the word company in some confusion!
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - movilogo
Do only the people with lowest IQ become judges nowadays?
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Netsur
I run the small car park behind my office for the benefit of the six or seven office buildings in our terrace. There is no cost effective solution to unauthorised parking (e.g. electrically controlled barriers) so we rely on vigilance.

Unauthorised parkers get blocked in, a polite notice on the windows and a polite comment when it happens the first time. It usually works. Occasionally there is an all day parker who returns after we have all left and ignores the note in the window and returns the next week. We just reduce the tyre pressures on diagonally opposite wheels to virtually zero. They never return after that.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Cliff Pope
Presumably there does exist a legal right to move someone's property from your land if it is preventing your lawful use of it?

So supposing he had:

a) Put a more effective cushion between his car and the parker's
b) Pushed the car gently, rather than ramming it
c) Had an assistant to watch the road and pavement and warn passers by of a vehicle emerging.
d) Parked the car neatly rather than abandoning it across the road

it would have been all right and no offence committed?
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - movilogo
If you read the recent news about squatters (eg. some E Europeans taking possessions of people's houses), the rule says even if someone occupies your property by illegal means, you need to contact appropriate authorities to get it vacated.

But police can't vacate someone without a court order.

So that old man, in theory, should have contacted police and then get a court order to remove that car from front of his driveway.

The law sucks.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Ted

I've had it a couple of times with people leaving cars a few feet across the drive. I don't know why, we're not short of room to park.
I sympathise with the old guy as well. I've moved a couple in the past using my trolley jack under the rear axle or beam. Usually leave the back end sticking a metre or so into the road.
It doesn't cause a problem to other cars but probably confuses the returninhg owner as to how he came to leave it like that.

I'm too old for that sort of caper now, it'd have to be the wire rope and use the Vitara.!

Ted
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - hobby
I too sympathise with him, but agree with some others that he left himself wide open by not trying other ways of stopping the problem... a big notice on the garage door for a start... We have a school up the road from us (luckily far enough away!) and the standard of parking is dreadful... across driveways, drop kerbs at road junction... all so they can get as close as possible so their little one doesn't have to walk too far...

Wonder if he'll appeal?
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - bathtub tom
I heard a tale of how an offending car was moved with a trolley jack, but a drive wheel was left jacked off the ground so the returning owner had no drive.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Iffy
... After all, "charging" people for parking on private land is ineffective when they can take the attitude of "could pay, but won't pay" as Iffy advocates in his thread...

I don't support the parker, but how do we know he parked on private land?

Not that I would do it, but unlike John H, I can distinguish this situation from one in which someone is parked in a motorway service area.

It is risible to suggest there is a valid comparison.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - mikeyb
This is local ish to me and my understanding of the gentleman in question had been having parking problems for some time and had been waiting and asking people not to park there. His actions were as a result of his frustration in it carrying on.

TBH its not a nice part of town, and he ran the risk of aggravating the wrong people if you get my drift, although I fully understand why he did it.

We live opposite a school and do get the odd person who is a bit thoughtless and parks partially across our driveway, but not to often, and its rarely a problem for us our kids are in the school so we are walking across at pick up time
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - -
And there's a prime example of why banning clampers isn't going to be as wonderful as some think.

Not at all surprised by the completely wrong punishment for the old chap though, only surprised it wasn't prison given the area and circumstances.

Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Fullchat
This is bizarre. At 1954hrs I posted as below. I come back to the thread and its not here. I do a search and it shows my posting but it's not listed in the thread. Any ideas????????

Hmmm Dangerous Driving?

Not sure about that one.

Criminal Damage maybe.

But he's been through the judicial system and its run it's course.

Would have been nice to see the other driver prosecuted for causing an Unecessary Obstuction which after all caused the situation in the first place.

So they cause the problem and get a reward (compo). Not unusual in our topsy turvey world.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Perky Penguin
"d) Parked the car neatly rather than abandoning it across the road"

Not sure he could have achieved that result without the keys of the offending vehicle!
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Manatee
Curiouser and curiouser FC. If I click on your name I can select it in your list of recent posts and it appears with the threaded list below - but without showing in the thread.
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - rtj70
Sites are not always to be trusted in the sense someone can hide anything. Maybe a mod hid it?

IF a mod hides this then it's plan B.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 22:49
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - R40
Some judicious and welcome editing has gone on - inc. a post by me. Perhaps FC was an innocent victim of what was helpful moderating.

R40
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - smokie
I've not been around this evening but there is no evidence of a mod editing this thread - no hidden posts - so maybe user error?
>> I've not been around this evening but there is no evidence of a mod editing
>> this thread - no hidden posts - so maybe user error?
>>

Convenient always to blame user error. ;-) Click on Fullchat's name and you will find this at 19.54
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?m=74709&v=e

It was a series of posts, following a ding dong between R40 and Martin Devon regarding a post which could have been taken to have a hint or more of racism, that appear to have been deleted.

Last edited by: John H on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 23:43
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - R.P.
They've been removed after complaints.
...They've been removed after complaints...

The post by MD raised the perfectly reasonable question of whether there is a racial element to this case.

For some reason I can't fathom, others find merely asking that question offensive, and unfortunately in view, the mods bowed to the pressure and hit the delete button.

Let's look at one or two facts:

The incident happened in an area of Bristol in which there has been race riots in the past.

The defendant has an English-sounding name, the victim a foreign-sounding one.

It seems likely the defendant turned up to find his garage already blocked.

I doubt he knew - or cared - who had blocked it.

We don't know if the car has been parked there before, or if the defendant ever saw who was parking it.

It seems to me race is unlikely to feature in this case, but that doesn't mean the question cannot or should not be asked.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 18 Nov 10 at 14:49
>> It seems to me race is unlikely to feature in this case, but that doesn't
>> mean the question cannot or should not be asked.
>>
As I read it, the offending post was implying that the inconsiderate parking attitude was down to the race of the person concerned.

p.s. BTW, it was not me who complained about the post.
Last edited by: John H on Thu 18 Nov 10 at 15:00
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Bromptonaut
>> As I read it, the offending post was implying that the inconsiderate parking attitude was
>> down to the race of the person concerned.

I read it that way as well (& I did report it as offensive).
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - IJWS14

>> It is risible to suggest there is a valid comparison.
>>
>>

I would expect that from you.

It is risible to suggest there isn't
...I would expect that from you...It is risible to suggest there isn't...

A driver who blocks a private citizen's garage cannot be compared to a driver who parks for 2hrs 46mins at a service area causing no inconvenience to anyone.

So please enlighten me.

Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - hobby
I have to agree with iffy, that other thread was concerning an overstay in a car park, where the car was legally parked (initially!) and not blocking anyone else or causing anyone else any (possible) financial loss... The person who parked that Ka deliberately blocked a garage, i suspect was parked at least partly on private land (its unlikely that all the land right up to the garage is adopted) and probably caused the old gent financial loss in that he couldn't get to work... I can't see any reasonable comparison there...
>> So please enlighten me.
>>

On private land, unless you can get the Council to extend official Parking regulations to apply to your property, you are powerless to stop any iffy person from parking there. There is nothing you can do about it - except in England where you can still employ wheel clampers but who soon will not be allowed to do that either.

In other words, private landowners are powerless to stop iffy people overstaying their welcome.

Around Gatwick, it has been reported (was on local BBC news, but can't find it online) that some holidaymakers now park their cars on private driveways without the owner's permission and the Police are powerless to stop it. Any homeowners who takes the law in to their own hands risk finding themselves in Court charged with causing damage to the offender's car.

...in other words, private landowners are powerless to stop iffy people overstaying their welcome...

Fair point.

The only thing I mildly object to is the inference I am parking in a service station one day, then blocking someone's garage the next, and dumping my car on some poor sap's drive the day after.

There's Iffy, and there's people who are, er, iffy. :)

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 18 Nov 10 at 15:07
I understand that if a vehicle's parked on your land, you're allowed to do anything you like, as long as you don't touch it.

A six-foot wall perhaps?
>>A six-foot wall perhaps?<<

Or, a six-foot hole!

;~}
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - Runfer D'Hills
>> Or, a six-foot hole!

There is a village in Somerset where the gas main turns sharp right, then sharp left, then left again and finally right before carrying on in the direction intended. This little diversion, still visible these 20 years later by the patch in the tarmac is more or less the same shape as and a little larger than a parked Mk1 Golf GTi which some fool left there for three months while working in Brazil....

Whistles innocently....
One odd thing I found watching the CCTV clip -
There did not seem to be many people around before the old man "nudged" the offending car.
Then, suddenly, as if out of nowhere, a big crowd gathered and surrounded Pemberton and his car. "Big Society" in action.
If such an incident happened round my way, most people would just walk on by, minding their own business, not wanting to get involved. At the most they would look at the goings on out of the corner of their eye.

Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - CGNorwich
They don't seem so concerned with the legal niceties in Russia. Wonder what the judge would have made of this?

www.bestviral.com/video/12139/how_to_move_an_illegally_parked_car
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - swiss tony
>> They don't seem so concerned with the legal niceties in Russia. Wonder what the judge
>> would have made of this?
>>
>> www.bestviral.com/video/12139/how_to_move_an_illegally_parked_car
>>

I'd say that's a fake, or done for a film.
notice the amount of smoke coming from the car, I'm guessing there was a ram under the car, causing the roll.
Did I read there was a school opposite, presumably just out of shot. Could explain the vehicle stopping on zig-zags. If it was at either end of the school day there would probably be a number of people around.
>>If such an incident happened round my way, most people would just walk on by, minding their own business<<

Yeah, and the people were walking quite fast as well, if that had been in Cornwall they'd have been walking much slower and there wouldn't have been so many of them.

:)
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - R.P.
...or in fact paddling Dog.....hope you were untouched by the floods ?
>>.hope you were untouched by the floods<<

OK thanks Pugley - I learned to doggy paddle years ago :)
 Parking in front of -83 yr old's moving solution - bhoywonder
www.bestviral.com/video/12139/how_to_move_an_illegally_parked_car

If you watch closely you can see the ram through the smoke.
Latest Forum Posts