Motoring Discussion > Wow – that was close Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bagpuss Replies: 14

Wow – that was close - Bagpuss
Winter has returned to South Germany. I got up at 5:30 this morning to be confronted by yet more heavy snow, and the temperature is back down to -5C. Headed off to Stuttgart but 6km from the autobahn there was a traffic jam and I assumed (probably correctly) that the traffic stretched at least to the autobahn, if not further. So, took a detour and headed off under GPS guidance to unfamiliar territory.

I was in a bit of a hurry, so with relief I finally drove onto the autobahn approach ramp. The snow was really thick by this time, but there was no traffic, so I hit the gas. The entry ramp bent sharply to the right, actually considerably more sharply than expected. All of a sudden, and rather unexpectedly, I realized I was going sideways. I’m sure the ESP light was blinking like hell and all sorts of clever electronics were doing their stuff, but my mind was concentrating on other things. Foot off the accelerator and opposite lock and the car 4 wheel drifted from the right lane into the left. The crash barrier and an encounter with the airbags beckoned, I held on and, OMFG, I made it round. No idea how by much I missed the crash barrier.

All that in a car with every safety device known to man and winter tyres. Definitely a lesson in the supremacy of the laws of physics. If I were a smoker I would have stopped for a cigarette.
 Wow – that was close - Bellboy
friend of mine works in local scrappie was grinding a chisel today when a lump of metal as big as his fist broke of the machine and flew by his right eye
i told him to go for a few pints tonight
 Wow – that was close - Runfer D'Hills
Quite impressive though BP. Good man !
 Wow - that was close - Bagpuss
Have to admit Bellboy, I worked in a machine shop when I was younger, so I'm probably more paranoid about the consequences of using rotating machinery (chuck key left in the lathe anyone?) than the consequences of driving too fast for the conditions.
 Wow - that was close - -
Heart stopper that, can you recall every millisecond of the drama still, when i've had those blessedly rare events time seems to stop and that 3 second panic job seems to last minutes.

A strange taste in the mouth after such an incident, can you taste adrenalin?

I admit to getting a bit complacent when i know my vehicle is well prepared, winter tyres etc so when i feel a slip it surprises and serves as reminder to not be quite so over confident.
 Wow - that was close - jc2
I was driving in Belgium once and was taking a slip road off a dual carriageway-realized at last moment that the slip wasn't a slip but a right angle bend.Hit brakes-all locked up and was heading for crash barrier,so took foot off brakes and turned steering wheel. The car found some grip and made the bend-it all looked quite professional!!
 Wow – that was close - FotheringtonTomas
>> All that in a car with every safety device known to man

The most important safety device is always the person controlling the tool.
 Wow – that was close - swiss tony
>> >> All that in a car with every safety device known to man
The most important safety device is always the person controlling the tool.
>>
I agree!

In fact, Im not convinced that all the 'safety' systems fitted to today's cars, are as useful as they are made out to be.
they can inspire overconfidence, where by we 'know' the car will stop within the distance / make the corner etc....

when as happens sometimes, the laws of physics, due to ice, diesel, or lying water, take hold, then we are surprised.

In the old days, we (seemed) to keep more of a safety envelope around us, maybe due to the lack of airbags and crumple zones.

But the fact is the human body can still only take the same beatings as before, airbags, and the crumple zones only really help in relativity minor accidents, and lower speeds, high speed/hard impact you will still get hurt or killed......
 Wow – that was close - Londoner
>> All that in a car with every safety device known to man and winter tyres.
What car was this, BP? 4WD by any chance?
>> What car was this BP? 4WD by any chance?

Having had a similar experience in similar circumstances some years ago in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I don't see 4WD as a safety device. It's very easy to get lulled into a sense of false security in a 4WD vehicle on snow.

In fact, it could be argued that it was the manoeuvrability of the RWD that got me out of a situation that could have happened in any car. In a FWD or 4WD vehicle I would probably have terminally understeered head on into the crash barrier which, at 80km/h, wouldn't have been pleasant. On the other hand you could argue that I was just damn lucky.

I agree with the comments, the best safety device is awareness for and adapting to the situation. I won't forget this one quickly, the memory of it brings me out in a cold sweat.
OK, then. You have not mentioned the actual car, but I deduce that if you were
a) driving a RWD car, and
b) The electronics actually were of some assistance,

then you must have been driving a Mercedes!

Although it seems to me that the real credit for avoiding a smash in this case goes down to your skill as a driver, but you have been too modest to mention it.

P.S.
I hear what you say about being lulled into a sense of false security, but my next car will be 4WD now that we seem to be getting colder winters in the UK.
 Wow – that was close - Iffy
...my next car will be 4WD now that we seem to be getting colder winters in the UK...

Might be more relevant to look for a petrol that heats up quick and pumps out plenty of heat when it gets there.
>> then you must have been driving a Mercedes!

Almost - BMW530d!
That's a heckuva car - heckuva engine.
(The guy behind the wheel is obviously not too shabby either!)

Definitely not wanting to start another FWD/RWD/4WD debate. It's all so personal, anyway.
RWD is great if you know how to use it. I've given up fooling myself that I am good enough to know how - that's why I'll go for 4WD next. (Or at the very least, FWD)

Maximum respect for guys (and gals) that can handle it, though....especially in snow...that's really impressive.
 Wow – that was close - Boxsterboy
>> Maximum respect for guys (and gals) that can handle it though....especially in snow...that's really impressive.
>>

It's actually very simple, and sometimes quite fun with the right equipment (i.e. winter tyres).
Latest Forum Posts