Motoring Discussion > Badly worn brake pads. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 17

Badly worn brake pads. - Dog
My 05 Nissan Almera 1.8SE auto was serviced by the pain dealer last June @ 29,300m.
On the Technicians report they said front brake pads 70% worn.
The next service isn't due until June and I've only covered 5000m since the service.
I've just checked the pads and they're down to the metal.
You'd think they would/should have really changed them last time!
I phoned the service manager and suggested they should have been changed but he said
"In the present economic climate people are putting off work that needs to be done & I'd be surprised at the amount of cars they see that are almost deadly (brakes & tyres) and they have to get the owner to sign some bit of paper saying that they have been advised of that fact by the garage" ... !
Doesn't help me though, does it.
 Badly worn brake pads. - crocks
If they have used up 30% of their life in only 5000 miles then either you are very very hard on the brakes or they have a fault.

Mine were down to about 3mm at the last MOT and now 3000 miles on they look no more worn.
 Badly worn brake pads. - Bellboy
dammed if you dont
dammed if you do
>>> dammed if you dont
dammed if you do <<<

My thoughts exactly as I was making my bacon sarnie :-)
 Badly worn brake pads. - L'escargot
>> On the Technicians report they said front brake pads 70% worn.

>> I've just checked the pads and they're down to the metal.
>> You'd think they would/should have really changed them last time!

They did all they could which was to tell you about them. You can't expect them to do work which a customer hasn't authorised. If the did that, they'd get accused of dishonest practice in a lot of cases.
 Badly worn brake pads. - Bromptonaut
Hopefully no damage from metal/disc contact. The Xantia's pads are wired and show a warning light on application when they're near the limit.

70% is presumably an eyeball estimate and would be close to the end of the wear indicator groove? In the circs I'd have hoped for a strong steer to replace NOW!!!.
The thing is - I'm a youngster (58) so I can still crawl under a car if need be, but the average bear wouldn't/couldn't check their brake pads etc.
I still believe they should have changed them at the last service though as brakes are fairly important (I hear)
or at the very least - advised me in *more stronger* terms.
 Badly worn brake pads. - Bill Payer
Agree with the others - everyone "knows" that the dealer suggesting the pads need replacement is just them trying to rip you off, so perhaps they've given up trying?

I was told the pads on wifey's Jazz had about 5K to go 2 years ago. The car did about 12K more and still had the same pads (which looked OK to me) when we sold it.
>>> so perhaps they've given up trying?

Yep! you could well be right there BP, its going in tomorrow so I'll let y'all know the damage (to the wallet!)
p.s. its an automatic, in hilly Cornwall, so the pads do get used :)
 Badly worn brake pads. - -
Considering the hot air created some time ago when a poster reported a dealer suggesting their pads needed changing before metal contact, this might be a valuable thread to counter it.

Did you hear or feel the metal to metal grinding by the way.
>>> Did you hear or feel the metal to metal grinding by the way. <<<

I rarely drive that car gordon, and swmbo ... well, she nearly topped up the engine oil on my Dolomite Sprint with water once (ya get the picture) :)
I've had 'issues' with this particular garage before = main dealers ... pah!
well she nearly topped up the
>> engine oil on my Dolomite Sprint with water once

Many years ago my luscious neighbour did similar and topped the sump up with water on her original Mini Cooper, which i had to put right.

I can still see those legs they went for ever..;)
>>> I can still see those legs they went for ever..;) <<<

Ooo, you are awful - did you ever offer to adjust her tappets?

>> Ooo you are awful - did you ever offer to adjust her tappets?
>>
'but i like you....thump...' Dick Emery lives on in our hearts.

she was a wonderful tease and me a poor working class married fellow....
>>> Dick Emery lives on in our hearts. <<<
And Frankie Howerd, Benny Hill & Arthur Haynes :-D
 Badly worn brake pads. - Bill Payer
>> & Arthur Haynes :-D
>>
You have fond memories of someone who publishes repair manuals? :)
>>>You have fond memories of someone who publishes repair manuals? :)<<<

He is actually on youtube BP, its amazing just *how much* this country has changed in 44 years (good & bad!)
>>> Hopefully no damage from metal/disc contact. The Xantia's pads are wired and show a warning light on application when they're near the limit. <<<

My old 320 had brake pad warning lights 20 year ago - blimming Almera is only 5 year old but no dashboard warning light for pads - I wonder why?
Anyway ... I got off fairly lightly I think, they just had to replace the pads (£85) not too bad after 5 years - I got away with the discs (just), if I'd waited til it was due for a service (June) they would have been a gonna.
I phoned the (Nissan) garage yesterday aft. and they fitted me in @ 8-30 this morning - the result of being a regular cust - pain dealer or indie.
Latest Forum Posts