Motoring Discussion > Stuff Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 48

Stuff - Zero
sooooo , here we are in Malta, doing some sightseeing and meeting up with friends for some yachting

Not Mick lynch style we hope.

Anyways I have hired a Citroen C3 for the princely sum of £12 a day. A rolly poly gutless thing. But. It's a manual. My first drive in a manual car, with a regular handbrake lever. My first manual drive in over 10 years. Amazing how quickly it all snicks into place, tho the first hill start was a sharp reminder of the skills required. Driving here, even through valeta, is easy peasy, after all I reminded myself, you are the man who jumped off a plane and drove his car through the centre of Naples, just for the hell of it
 Stuff - zippy
Miss Z and her beau were in Malta in the spring and loved it.

They hired a car (i10 I think - not much difference in price) and found it very easy to drive there, except for the hotel's carpark which was had a long spiral ramp suitable for only one car at a time.

Stuff - smokie
My rental here in Portugal for 30 days (ends 7 Nov) is a C3 too, only €156 so just over €5 a day.

It's fairly new, with about 10k on the clock, and has Android Auto but no audible reversing sensors which surprised me. And the last car, a Corsa for the first 18 days (€107) had that AND a 360 camera which I'd not seen before and I like.

Parking is a bit of a mare here - our apartment is in a short cul de sac right by the seafront (which is pedestrian-only, unless you fancy driving along it in which case it seems you just go ahead!!) and spaces are at a premium. In it is a set of the communal underground bins they use here, which the rubbish truck was having such major problems accessing that they changed the few posts and the yellow line which were supposed to give it manoeuvre room, but were largely ignored, for a full tow away zone. And people still park in it!! People take little notice of any rules or niceties here - park right on corners, across pavements - anywhere. I won't do that and find the parking aids quite handy for those smaller spaces.

Generally driving is pretty easy and the biggest problem I have with left hand drive manual cars is once in a while going to get in the wrong side...
 Stuff - legacylad
C3.
Had three of them as rental cars from ALC this year and last. By far the worst rental cars I’ve had in the past few years.
I’ve been fortunate to have 208 GT, Jeep Renegade, Seat Ibiza & Leon, a few Fiestas, others I’ve forgotten, but I always hope that I don’t get another C3.
I’m back at ALC 02/Nov and probably will.
 Stuff - smokie
It's better than the Corsa I took back, apart from the apparent lack of features.
 Stuff - legacylad
I’d disagree.
I thought my almost new Corsa ( think it was a diesel) was superior to the C3…must have been a top end spec, unusual for hire companies.

Incidentally, €152 for 3 weeks in November , direct with OK Mobility…my own CDW policy and probably €1200 blocked on my CC.
 Stuff - zippy
5 odd hours and 250 miles further north between my last message and this!

Realised I wanted to wish you a great holiday!
 Stuff - bathtub tom
Aah Malta, where they drive on the shady side of the road! I didn't believe it, until I experienced it. Had a hire car with the reg KAK - .................

Have fun, although when we were last there, SWMBO descibed parts of it as : "looking like Beirut on a bad day".
 Stuff - Bromptonaut
Off to Gran Canaria for a week in early November. Booking says FIAT 500 but we'll see what we get.

The thing we had in Tenerife in February, either a C3 or the mechanical underpinnings with a Peugeot badge was a bit gutless, but went up and down the hills OK if you used the gears as they're meant to be used.
 Stuff - bathtub tom
>>Off to Gran Canaria for a week in early November.

Lovely place, as long as you avoid Puerto Rico. I couldn't go out in the evening without crunching cockroaches underfoot. Never seen so many enormous ones. The local bars, restaurants and shops were really aggressive in parting you from your money.
 Stuff - Bobby
We were in GC this time last year at Playa del Ingles.

Enjoyed it but definitely prefer Tenerife.

We like the Los Cristianos to Calleta stretch, we like to meander along proms on holiday and stop for beers or coffees regularly.

This Jan we are trying Puerto Del Carmen in Lanza instead of our usual Tenerife holiday. It looks to have good prom but will see when we get there.
 Stuff - CGNorwich
I like Lanzarote but I usually stay in the rural North of the Island. PdC can be a bit “Brits Abroad” but should be quieter in January.
 Stuff - Zero

>> Have fun, although when we were last there, SWMBO descibed parts of it as :
>> "looking like Beirut on a bad day".

It's called historical context or local colour if you wish. It's no different to North Africa, or parts of Greece or turkey. Get off the beaten track in Spain or Italy and it's much the same

Incomprehensible language tho is Maltese, it's a melting pot of greek and Arabic, that someone attempted to translate into something else using a military background

The people are very brusque and direct, can seem rude, completely thrown off their guard by be Uber polite to them

Liking the place a lot
 Stuff - CGNorwich
It's called historical context or local colour if you wish. It's no different to North Africa, or parts of Greece or turkey. Get off the beaten track in Spain or Italy and it's much the same

Bit like Gt Yarmouth then .

I spent a week in Valletta a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed it. Loads of history , cathedral is absolutely stunning. My dad was there for a while in the war and was interesting to see the military stuff. The air raid shelters are well worth a visit. Actually found the people very friendly. Still a lot of goodwill to the British which is nice.
 Stuff - Bromptonaut
>> Incomprehensible language tho is Maltese, it's a melting pot of greek and Arabic.

I had a lady of Maltese heritage as my mentor in one CS role. A lot of colourful stories.

Probably still amongst us though in her late seventies by now.

Obviously in my current role interpreters are needed pretty often. Most languages I recognise by name and can tie then to some part of the world or another.

Last week though I was asked for Wolof which I'd never heard of. Client was from Gambia. Apparently it's also used in Senegal and Mauretania. Quite a lot of recognisable French words hybridised into it.
 Stuff - CGNorwich
Never heard of it but its on Google Translate which I guess you use a lot.

Translation of course has its pitfalls

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao
 Stuff - sooty123
I think I'd heard of wolof, it's one of the languages polyglots on yt learn.
 Stuff - Boxsterboy
>> I reminded myself, you are the man who jumped off a plane and drove his
>> car through the centre of Naples, just for the hell of it
>>
I did that a couple of years ago in a Fiat/Jeep Renegade. Due to the multiple level of roads through Naples both the satnav and I got confused and we ended up in the middle of Naples docks with multi-story containers forming canyon-like roads. Oh how we laughed!!
 Stuff - Zero
So, Back in the UK. Flight (sleazyjet) delayed by 4 hours, knock on from early fog in the UK.

The C3. Good? its comfy, and very roomy for its size. Excellent lock short turning circle.
Bad? jeez its gutless much use of high revs and gearbox required. the gearbox is horrid, cant easily see the front, back or corners of the car and with no parking sensors, its a beech to park in tight spots trying to keep it pristine. Comfy, far too much, too soft and rolly poly. Aircon pathetic.

Malta? Loved it, my first time there. Great mix of medieval, moorish, christian. Some nice but small beaches, plenty of good walking, lots of history to see and do, ( I doubt a place has been invaded so many times over the centuries) food good if you avoid the modern tourist places, local sausage and rabbit specially good, native honey delicious. Driving there? absolute delight, ok you get the odd pushy type, but on the whole relaxed, polite, orderly.
Easy to get off the tourist trail, and mix it with the local population.

Weather was great, tho the autumnal thunder storms were rolling in as we left.

Going back? oh yes. The hi-light, as it often is, is the unexpected. Came across a guy who runs the local falconry centre. did a quick photo of his harris hawk, dropped a € or two in his collection box, and he promptly produced a glove for me, taught me how to feed it on my hand and we flew it backwards and forwards to each other over about 30 yards, while Mrs Z did some stunning videos, it was such a delight. I now have visions of me on horseback, falcon in hand, hairy "long dogs" by my side, doing some hunting.
 Stuff - sherlock47
>>>I now have visions of me on horseback, falcon in hand, hairy "long dogs" by my side, doing some hunting.<<<

Am I the only one one with visions of ZeroVIII weighing 25stone, sagging old nag, metal cod piece, Falcon in one hand and drone controller in other, watching a steaming fiery dragon rush past?

Stuff - zippy
>>Am I the only one...

To Ride of the Valkyeries the Pink Panther tune playing in the background :-)

Sound like you had a great time Zero.
 Stuff - R.P.
Last visit to Malta was in Nov 2001 ! Things were a bit tense around the flights. Our hotel was on Gozo was Hotel Ta Cenc ( it actually appears in one of the Sweeny films !

Flew there from the mainland by MiL helicopter !

HMS Ocean sailed into the Grand Harbour on our last night. RN Seemed to be very welcome.
 Stuff - Zero

>> Am I the only one one with visions of ZeroVIII weighing 25stone, sagging old nag,
>> metal cod piece, Falcon in one hand and drone controller in other, watching a steaming
> fiery dragon rush past?

henry V please!!!

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'
 Stuff - tyrednemotional
I suspect you're envisaging something like this:

tinyurl.com/zerobird1

Whereas the rest of us are closer to:

tinyurl.com/zerobird2
 Stuff - Zero
>> I suspect you're envisaging something like this:
>>
>> tinyurl.com/zerobird1

Mrs Z was

Stuff - Zero
>> So, Back in the UK. Flight (sleazyjet) delayed by 4 hours, knock on from early
>> fog in the UK.

Damn I hate flying now. It was never thus in my formative years, walking across the tarmac to the steps of a Turbo prop Viscount, or Dan dare comet 4b gleaming in its polished skin, stewardesses in short skirts & fancy uniforms and thunderbirds caps, hot food served on trays, tiny cups of coffee. Later on its Boing 707's or early Jumbo's out of Terminal 3, lots of legroom, loads of toilets on board, a real sense of luxury, specialness.

Now its interminable security checks, heaviung terminal buildings, tiny seats, no leg room, tatty ugly cabin crew, quickly crammed on board, two bogs per 200 passengers, reconstituted costa coffee in a paper cup, 7 mile hike from the air bridge to the heaving passport control.

Pffttt hate it.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 19 Oct 24 at 12:48
 Stuff - bathtub tom
>>Damn I hate flying now..................................

Which is exactly why I no longer do it. Six foot one, seventeen stone and I expect my passport is out of date.
Was intending to catch a train to St Albans tomorrow, but there's none running between St Pancras and Luton. Damnit! Meeting in a pub and I'll have to drive.
 Stuff - sooty123
>>
>> Pffttt hate it.
>>

I've been that way for years. Don't miss flying at all.
 Stuff - CGNorwich
Still love flying. Yes security and passport control can be a bit tedious but I still find it magical getting on a plane in a grey Gatwick or Stansted and arriving a few hour later and stepping off the lane int a sun drenched Mediterranean airport.

I enjoy the acceleration of the runway, the view of the clouds and the ground far below. It all still seems amazing to me that you can travel around the world so quickly and cheaply. It really is a golden age of travel. Enjoy it while you can.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 19 Oct 24 at 18:43
 Stuff - Kevin
>It really is a golden age of travel. Enjoy it while you can.

I guess whatever you're taking is prescription only?
 Stuff - CGNorwich
When then in the past has the average working person been able to visit anywhere in the world so quickly, cheaply and safely? If you want luxury you can buy it . I’m more than happy to travel in safe, modern aircraft in reasonable comfort at a price that won’t bankrupt me.
 Stuff - Runfer D'Hills
I guess my attitude is tainted by decades of regular air travel in connection with my work. Now that I don’t have to do it, I avoid it when possible. I far prefer taking my car even on relatively long journeys. We have always driven down to the south of France most years in preference anyway.
I’ll take a flight if it’s much further than that, but for most of Europe I’d rather drive.
During the pandemic, I might have been one of the few people who saw social distancing as a really good thing and wish it was still fashionable! ;-)
 Stuff - Kevin
>so quickly, cheaply and safely? If you want luxury you can buy it .

I'll give you cheap and safe but you're not having the other two.

Let's see, how about the 80s? That's before you needed to get to the airport 3 hours before a flight to park up and then spend an hour checking in and another hour reading notices telling everyone that complaining about the pathetic service will not be tolerated while you're queueing to strip off for a metal detector and body X-ray trying to keep one eye on your wallet, phone, watch and belt that's 10 yards away surrounded by hordes grabbing whatever has been spat out by the personal belongings X-ray. Before the time you got onboard a grubby plane and needed to squeeze into a 30" seat with no legroom because all the overhead lockers are full of 9.99Kg 40x20x25cm luggage and litre bottles of vodka. The time when you actually could buy some comfort when flying within Europe and national carriers were not just another 'budget' airline nickel and diming. The time when you didn't get back from wherever to walk half a mile to immigration and find two hundred people being herded towards a row of twenty biometric passport machines of which only half a dozen are functional and another two hundred people staring at luggage carousels devoid of luggage.

Like Runfer, travel was part of my job and anyone who says they enjoy flying in Europe is either nuts or on drugs. It's something that most people endure, not enjoy.

Ys V Meldrew Esq.
 Stuff - tyrednemotional
Add to that the fact that, because "it's so easy", many of the destinations that were so enjoyable in the past because you had to work at getting there are now overrun by the "hoi polloi", then I have to agree that the golden age of travel is over. (Though travel for the masses is certainly here and now).

Stuff - CGNorwich
"I'll give you cheap and safe but you're not having the other two. "

Well safety and price in part depend on the things you dislike so much so you cant have one without the other. Do you really want to get on a plane with someone with a lump of semtex iin thier shoe just so you can get to the gate a bit earlier and. given the choice 'all but the super rich or those not paying for their own ticket will prioritise price over so called "luxury". Is anyone in their right mind and paying their way prepared to pay three times the price for a ticket just so they get a "free" pre- cooked meal and a packet of peanutsl.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 19 Oct 24 at 23:47
 Stuff - Kevin
It was you who claimed that it's the 'golden age of travel', I'm simply pointing that's BS.

What makes you think it's an either/or situation. You may be content to be treated like cattle but I'd rather spend a bit more to make the experience a little more pleasant. I have no problem with the price of safety either so kindly stop implying that I am.

/*..snip the ridiculous carp about semtex and peanuts..*/
 Stuff - zippy
>>
>> /*..snip the ridiculous carp about semtex and peanuts..*/
>>

I have been on a BA plane that had a bomb scare just after it moved from the airbridge at O'Hare Chicago.

It was a very unpleasant experience.
 Stuff - legacylad
I think short haul European flights are excellent with Jet2. I probably fly 6 times a year LBA > ALC, early morning flight, normally pay £150 ish return with 10kg baggage included. It’s a means to an end and far better than decades ago with more choice of destinations.

Other airlines and airports I avoid…new scanners at LBA have decreased time passing security. It’s a routine I’m happy with.

I returned 3 days ago from my 6 week touring holiday…France > Andorra > CBlanca> Competa > Bilbao. Hated the long drives down to Newhaven (Dieppe) and return drive home from Portsmouth but they were a necessary evil.

Two weeks yesterday I’m back in Spain the easy way..Jet2 to Alicante for a few weeks, but for future longer trips it’s Brittany Ferries to Spain…Flippin expensive but I need to take my car as I really enjoy driving around Spain and discovering new places on my travels.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 20 Oct 24 at 07:43
 Stuff - Zero
Now this is going to sound terribly racist, and but it's not. It's called risk assessment and profiling.

Mr & Mrs Retired from 50 years of Surrey Suburbs address, with a record of 50 years of flights, this time on a short haul no frills cheap flight to an obvious holiday destination are not likely to have Semtex disguised as peanuts in their shoes.

A lot of that information is now easily available with co-ordinated systems, well before the flight.

If that means Mr and Mrs Iqbal on a connecting flight originating in Kabul to Washington, get hauled out and strip searched that's tough. They are, by definition, a high risk. Christ El Al wouldn't even issue them a ticket if they were flying on that airline.

As I said. Profiling.

As for the scanning tech, it does not work reliably anyway.

Stuff - Zero
To be fair, Modern travel does allow you to grab ab early morning flight, and be on your friends yacht in the med for brunch on board by 11:30am, with your cheap hire car dumped on the key side.

It is the kind of aspiration I wouldn't have dreamed possible when I started work. Mind you now the gov have stripped me of my winter fuel allowance, I might have to cut one of my many annual trips.
 Stuff - Bromptonaut
>> Now this is going to sound terribly racist, and but it's not. It's called risk
>> assessment and profiling.
>>
>> Mr & Mrs Retired from 50 years of Surrey Suburbs address, with a record of
>> 50 years of flights, this time on a short haul no frills cheap flight to
>> an obvious holiday destination are not likely to have Semtex disguised as peanuts in their
>> shoes.

While I accept the argument that profiling is not, of itself, racist the implementation of such a scheme would be. Or it would be impossible to remove a perception that it was.

The middle ground between Mr and Mrs retired the Iqbals is occupied by many shades of grey.

Relatively few people who throw up a caution will be white. Those who are white are likely to be have foreign connections. Some in Ireland and some elsewhere.

A queue of Black and Brown people waiting to be subjected to a security check, even if it's no more than going through a scanner and having a pat down, while their white fellow passengers are waved by?

It doesn't pass the smell test.

And of course if the Iqbals really are Taliban activists then they might have the Retired's grandchildren in their cellar forcing one of the Retireds to carry their explosives for them.

The trick is to get the security as seamless as possible.

Mrs B gets very panicky in the security area. For example coming back from the US she was desperately, albeit irrationally, concerned that having attended a three day professional conference in Texas the data on her laptop might be compromised.

I have learned to follow her through so as to more easily keep an eye from being next through rather than going at warp speed and waiting. At least once she got in a barney over taking her shoes off - going barefoot in public seemed to trigger another irrational response - and asserted nobody had aver concealed explosive in a shoe. The US security guy was pretty good and he and I reminded her that not only had somebody done it but he was a Brit.

She came within a hairsbreadth of being denied boarding.

Last time we flew, to TFS in November, she came close to a panic attack, and that's what they are, but was talked down. It would only need the person on the scanner to be an arxey jobsworth with no humanity and we'd have been driving home rather than tucking into brekky airside at Brum.
 Stuff - Zero

>> While I accept the argument that profiling is not, of itself, racist the implementation of
>> such a scheme would be. Or it would be impossible to remove a perception that
>> it was.

I fully appreciate that, but those of other races, countries of origin have to accept that and should blame their fellow countrymen/religious followers.

It's not just colour. Take the Irish troubles. Two single blokes, from the falls road of Belfast with prison records on a British Airways flight are a high risk and should be screened. Ironically they wouldn't be a high risk on a US Carrier from London to Boston. (would upset the financial stream)

I accept that example is probably not relevant now, but does provide an example on how profiling and screening should work.
 Stuff - Fullchat
The last three times excluding our latest I've been pulled aside for a random 'pat down' and twice had my bags swabbed. I do get it.
But what did 'grind my gears' was at my local small airport, on the way out of the country. the security guy poked through all my bags, made no attempt to replace anything and just walked away without any acknowledgement. A loud "Thank you!" followed him.
He must have been bullied at school :/
 Stuff - zippy
>>He must have been...

It's all about attitudes.

I was always stopped on the way back from France when driving my Audi 3.2 convertible. The routine was always the same. Car in front told to stop, I'm told to stop and a car behind motioned to pull up. Customs (French) never paid any attention to car 1 or 3, but I was always searched - single man, nice car etc. They were always polite though and after a quick check let me on my way - I guess if I were rude / shouty etc. I would have received much more attention.

On flying to Florida with the family, I was not feeling 100% at the airport and it showed. Initially they thought I looked "suspiciously nervous", when it was clear that I wasn't feeling too good (not self inflicted) they were very understanding.
 Stuff - bathtub tom
>>But what did 'grind my gears' was at my local small airport, on the way out of the country. >>the security guy poked through all my bags, made no attempt to replace anything and just >>walked away without any acknowledgement.

I used to smoke and kept my baccy in a container that one airport security insisted on running their fingers through. My response: "I hope you washed your hands, I want to smoke that later". Some folk have no sense of humour!

Early in life, SWMBO insisted on taking a home-made fruit cake, as she thought the kids may not like the 'foreign muck' abroad. Wrapped in tin foil, security commented: "just as well you didn't marzipan it".

Stuff - sooty123
>> "I'll give you cheap and safe but you're not having the other two. "
>>
>> Well safety and price in part depend on the things you dislike so much so
>> you cant have one without the other. Do you really want to get on a
>> plane with someone with a lump of semtex iin thier shoe just so you can
>> get to the gate a bit earlier and. given the choice 'all but the super
>> rich or those not paying for their own ticket will prioritise price over so called
>> "luxury". Is anyone in their right mind and paying their way prepared to pay three
>> times the price for a ticket just so they get a "free" pre- cooked meal
>> and a packet of peanutsl.

I think you've just argued against your original point! :)
 Stuff - Fullchat
Pleased you enjoyed Malta. It is a 'Marmite' destination and you have to be selective with your resort depending on what ticks your box. Yes it really took a beating during the war. George Cross richly deserved.
We've been several times and this March we stayed in the older Three Cities which is on the opposite side of Valletta harbour but very accessible by frequent ferries and water taxis.
The bus system is also good for getting around the island. We were surprised how quick and cheap the high speed Cat was from Valletta harbour to Gozo for a day out. Spent a week on Gozo one year in a villa with pool.

Arrived back in the early hours from a good week in Madeira. Didn't get off to a good start with 2.5 hrs sat on the tarmac at Manchester due to missing a slot and ATC issues in Portugal (allegedly) then one passenger fell ill and left the aircraft with the subsequent search for hold luggage. Fortunately return flight was on time.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 20 Oct 24 at 11:47
 Stuff - Zero
>> Pleased you enjoyed Malta. It is a 'Marmite' destination and you have to be selective
>> with your resort depending on what ticks your box.
>> We've been several times and this March we stayed in the older Three Cities which
>> is on the opposite side of Valletta harbour but very accessible by frequent ferries and
>> water taxis.

Was aware of the resort places to avoid, ie St Julians and St Pauls, so we stayed in Qawra.

Didn't need to hire a car really, buses and ferries are good (with the aid of the bus app) Bolt (Uber) taxis are cheap and plentiful. See us going back probably once, to mop up what we missed last time out. Beyond that it's a been there done that nothing more to see move on.

>Yes it really took a beating during the war. George Cross richly deserved.

We stood on the saluting battery, while I told Mrs Z the story of the Ohio, you could almost feel the scene.

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 20 Oct 24 at 12:02
 Stuff - bathtub tom
>>buses and ferries are good (with the aid of the bus app)

When I was there. even the locals thought the timetables were a laugh and waited more in hope than expectation.
Latest Forum Posts