Motoring Discussion > Caravan vs Motorhome Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 20

Caravan vs Motorhome - zippy
Looking to do some travelling around the UK...

There seem to be huge price differences between motorhomes and caravans.

To me caravans seem to make more sense, especially with regards to some of the very narrow roads in the west country, where taking a large motorhome for a day out would be a pain.

Motorhomes - IF I go for one, it would more likely to be a van conversion, but one of the tall ones so that you can stand up in it, however, I would want one with a shower and toilet - don't know how rare these are?

For two people plus small dog.

Current motor is a DCT Hyundai Tucson 1.6D hybrid.

Advice / things to look out for would be appreciated.

Caravan vs Motorhome - tyrednemotional
Discussed at quite some length here:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=31372&m=671348
 Caravan vs Motorhome - Bromptonaut
We're not bothered by a shower but would really want a toilet. Very difficult if not impossible to find a van conversion based on say a Transit or Transporter with a loo, never mind one that affords privacy, and enough seats to replace a family car.

We'll stick with 'van for now and forsake the dream of wild campervaning on the Western Isles - or do that in a hired 'van.

If you can find the time there's a caravan and moho show at the NEC next week.
>>... Very difficult if not impossible to find a van conversion based on say a Transit or Transporter with
>> a loo

Certainly not impossible, but definitely restricted choice on the Transporter or Transit Connect. Full size Transit not an issue, e.g.

www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhome-details/202410094992343

I could probably even find one which had 4 possible seats. Van conversion has become very popular post-Covid.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 14 Oct 24 at 10:46
>> I could probably even find one which had 4 possible seats. Van conversion has become
>> very popular post-Covid.

I think it was you, in the thread you linked to in post #2, that said a camper van that could replace the family car with five seats and an on board bog was a tall/impossible order.

My own investigations suggest four seats might be possible but only in one or two models and even those are big beasts c/p the VW Transporter conversion we hired last year.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 13 Oct 24 at 07:44
5 seats is most certainly a tall order, but 4 is possible in conversions like this, albeit with some compromise.

wildaxmotorhomes.com/models/triton-range/
>> wildaxmotorhomes.com/models/triton-range/

I found that last time.

As you said it involves compromises.

One thing we need is for one of us (me) to sit comfortably with a laptop while the other (Mrs B) is getting her beauty sleep.
 Caravan vs Motorhome - Zero
Its very simple.

Conversions are for weekends only, Motor Homes are for long distance touring and road trips, caravans are for longer stays at one place.

All of them will upset the locals o the NC500
All campervans/motorhomes (and I suspect caravans) require some compromise. If you really want one then there's probably something out there that might just do.

The Swift Trekker range on the SWB Ford Transit supplies 4 seats, separate washroom, bed and seating separate, and a pop-top with bed for the grandkids ;-). All in a length very little more than a lwb VW (5.5m).

Doesn't float my boat, but my "requirements" are entirely different.

It's an example of how the market has changed since COVID and the take-off of "van life". There are others out there.
 Caravan vs Motorhome - zippy
>>If you can find the time there's a caravan and moho show at the NEC next week.

Very tempting but unfortunately fully I'm fully booked to the end of the month at work :-(
 Caravan vs Motorhome - Runfer D'Hills
We still haven’t actually bought one, but it’s still on the list. As a by the way, something popped up on my phone the other day with a taster of a Dacia day van/off road thing they are pondering. 25 grand or so targeted.
We were fairly committed to a Transitish thing, but then a 2017 Cayman thingummy became available.
Hard isn’t it, this retired hedonism lark?
;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 12 Oct 24 at 18:34
 Caravan vs Motorhome - Robin O'Reliant
You, a vanner? I don't believe it!

It'll be crocs next Runfer, you mark my words. Sad to see a once proud man give up and let himself go.
I know, trust me. There have been all sorts of things happening since I retired. Cargo pants, digital watches, trainers, drinks on school nights, the whole nine yards. I’m not sure where it’s all going to be honest…
;-)
 Caravan vs Motorhome - John Boy
>> I’m not sure where it’s all going to be honest…
>> ;-)
Electric bike? :-)
Oh no, not yet, not old enough for that sort of thing …
;-)
 Caravan vs Motorhome - legacylad
Neither.
Save the money…no maintenance, insurance, hassle of emptying the loo…
Use Booking.com…keep a tent in the car for emergencies as I do.
Obviously I’m biased because B & B on the continent is far cheaper than in the UK unless you stay top end accommodation. €50 tops for B & B, slightly more with single supplement.
Menu del dia, plat du jour €12/15. Why self cater apart from brekkie & drinks ?

A wealth of interesting places to stay at reasonable prices…tomorrow it’s Mirador El Silo at Bello. Apparently a twitchers favourite overlooking a lake, off the beaten track , whilst I’m en route to Miranda de Ebro, a town I’ve yet to visit.
 Caravan vs Motorhome - Terry
IMHO it is no contest.

A campervan is basic missing many home comforts. It is what it says on the can - camping with a steel roof + engine and wheels. Internal size is similar to a modest family bathroom.

Going up in size to a motorhome - may have facilities as a decent caravan. Leaves you with a vehicle completely unsuited to country lanes, pop down to the shop, car parks etc etc.

A caravan may have WC, shower, cooker including oven etc. Depending on car towing weight there is likely to be double the living space compared to a campervan.

Caravan - towed by a normal size car - available to explore once the caravan is on site. Camper van needs all packed away if you want to go further than walk or bike (if you cycle)

Usage - unless in fairly constant use, it is likely to be parked at home most of the time. A campervan may not suit as regular transport at home. A tow car capable of pulling an average size van makes entirely suitable day to day transport.

Cost - the price of a few years old camper van is ~2-4 times that of a similar age decent caravan - unsurprising as it needs lots a caravan does not - engine, gearbox, steering etc etc - plus compliance with a whole load of vehicle legislation.

A separate car and caravan will cost no more - possibly less if an existing car can be used to tow. If camper van means buying an additional car for normal domestic use the costs go up again.

The alternative is the Legacylad approach - and the one I now favour.

Caravans or campervans are not cheap to buy and run. Spending (say) £40k on a camper van comes with depreciation, maintenance, repairs, MOT, insurance etc. Could total £4-8k pa. Caravan likely to be cheaper.

They need frequent use to pay for themselves or a love of the lifestyle. £4-8k pa would pay for an awful lot of hotels, B&Bs, airfares etc.
>> Caravans or campervans are not cheap to buy and run.

I've just paid £500 for another year's storage for mine. Insurance and the annual service are at least another £500 between them. By car standards tyres are not silly expensive but anther couple of hundred. They weren't badly worn but were aging; another £200+.

£1200 before it's moved an inch!!

Towing knocks the 'lingo's fuel consumption down to 30 to the gallon on a good day and French Autoroute tolls are tres cher.

We love it but it ain't cheap.
 Caravan vs Motorhome - Fullchat
There's a compromise to be had if you feel the need to 'scratch the itch' with a camper van or motorhome and that's to hire one for a week or two.
Yes £2.5K ish could be put towards the purchase of one but it could be a costly mistake.
 Caravan vs Motorhome - legacylad
£2.5k ish for a two week MH rental ? Surely not…I’ve never looked at rental prices. Thought it would be £400/500 per week tops for a 4 berth.

As previously, I avoid motorways in Spain whenever possible, and several routes I’ve travelled would be impossible ( or very stressful) with either a MH or caravan…especially Basque Country.
We paid £660 for six nights last year. A VW Transporter conversion with two berths. Assynt model from this place:

www.inverness-campervans.co.uk/our-campervans/

On board water, a decent fridge, two cooking rings and a diesel fuelled Eprsbacher heater. No loo/shower but we were on a site with facilities for the whole of our stay.

Not the height of luxury but it did what the tin said. We were able to cook reasonable meals on the rings and everything stowed well. Electric hook up supplied but no electricity on site, except for the last night near Stornoway, but it had two batteries and just tootling around locally kept an adequate charge. Our only potential gripe would have been gas. When the guy handed it over he shook the Camping Gaz 907 cylinder and said it would be OK for the week but gave us a spare 'just in case'. We couldn't even boil the kettle the following day before it ran out. Easy change we used a 907 when we camped and still have on as a back up in the 'van. So far as my investigations went there's no CG stockist on Harris but maybe Stornoway - there and back would be two hours.

The 'rock and roll' bed was comfortable the heater was fine on the odd occasion we needed it. Provided bedding was clean but basic. If we'd driven to the pick up point rather than using the Caledonian Sleeper train we'd have taken our own sleeping bags etc.
Latest Forum Posts