Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 34

Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - maltrap
I have just made a claim on my car insurance
When I renew my insurance next August do I have to declare
That I have made this claim as I have protected no claims discount?
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Zero
Yes, its in the statutory declaration of facts.

You have in effect only protected a % of discount, by paying a higher premium.

Several things to take into account. Your insurance will almost certainly go up next year, because you are now a higher risk. ie higher initial premium, albeit with your protected discount applied.

Your NCB may not now be transferable to another insurance.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Oct 24 at 14:58
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Fullchat
Whilst I do pay NCD I'm sure its another Mortgage Indemnity type 'scam'.
You may well protect your NCD in theory, but that doesn't stop them stop them loading your premium even higher after the claim. You wont know what an increased premium would be and if there's any difference on that loading if or not you have NCD.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Lygonos
A claim usually only costs you 2 years of NCD.

Protecting it us usually about a 10% loading.

Unless you plan claiming a lot it is money for old rope for the insurers.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - CGNorwich
I’d agree.
You are effectively insuring your NCD. As with all insurance don’t pay to insure things you can afford to pay yourself.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Bobby
That includes life insurance? Warranties? Travel insurance?

Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Terry
At best insurers assess the premium payable for cover against the statistical probability of a claim being made. In practice they sell "extras" at significant profit to allow them to offer a basic policy at an apparently competitive headline price.

Premiums paid will always be more than the statistical risk - insurance companies have admin and marketing costs to cover, fraudulent claims, and want to make a profit.

It is cheaper to cover ones own risks - personally I never take insurance for electrical products as I can accept the risk that the TV, dishwasher etc may fail.

Larger low probability and mandatory risks get insured - it the house burns down (low probability) I would be unable to afford the cost of rebuilding. Car insurance is a legal requirement - and I would be unable to afford a claim for death or serious injury.
Absolutely.
Life Isurance. Don’t have any. When my children were young and I had no money however I took out relatively cheap term insurance to provide financial security for them.

Warranties. Never buy them. Won’t be happy with a a large repair bill but at the end of the day I can afford it. Massive profit margin on those things.

Travel insurance. Only interested in the sickness and repatriation element which could potentially be more than I can afford. Not interested in all the extras provided in so called premium coverage.. I can afford new underpants if my baggage is stolen :-)
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 5 Oct 24 at 09:28
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - tyrednemotional

>> .. I can afford new underpants if my baggage is stolen :-)
>>

...or after a "bumpy" flight...
Travel insurance, I go for medical /repatriation and cancelation.

At 70 now, with a recent serious medical history, I have to go for single trip insurance, cant get quotes for annual.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - legacylad
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people using GoFundMe to repatriate a deceased, more often than not a younger person.
I used to take my old mum to Spain, up to the age of 90. In a worst case scenario we agreed for an overseas cremation, ashes home in hand luggage, remembrance service at home.
Bless her…
I always remember the advice given by the company to staff travelling to Eastern Europe if they became ill or were injured bearing in mind the standard of local health care.

“Forget the pain, get on the plane”
I broke my hip in Cuba. While repatriation wasn't quite required, an upgrade to a premier class was (legroom). Medical attention in a private clinic in Havana. As it turns out because i declined the op in Cuba, it wasnt that dear, and I was whipped into a UK hospital 24 hours after return.

I had to pay for crutches in Cuba, through a diplomatic shop, because the US had embargoed them!
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - bathtub tom
>> In a worst case scenario we agreed for an overseas cremation, ashes home in hand luggage, remembrance >>service at home.

I've told SWMBO that when I cack it, to have me put in a bin bag in the back of a Transit and get me cremated without a funeral. I doubt it will happen.
Mine is going to just leave me in the hotel room and check out. Let the maid deal with it.

Gonna screw up the 90 day rule tho init
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 5 Oct 24 at 22:47
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - sherlock47
I've told SWMBO that when I cack it, to have me put in a bin bag in the back of a Transit and get me cremated without a funeral. I doubt it will happen.

Snap - must be something in our shared employment history?

However I do have an alternative - the pit in the garage! Suitably filled, covered and marked. Would give the benefit of reducing house value, and consequential IHT.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Runfer D'Hills
I’m of a similar frame of mind. Having reached an age where attending funerals is now more common than being invited to weddings, I’m always struck by the number of people who turn up at these times to “pay their respects” to someone they haven’t actually seen for decades. Feels like it’s all a bit too late at that stage to me.
I’m very much at peace with just being disposed of with the minimum of fuss. In fact I find that infinitely preferable to the thought of anyone pretending they ever actually gave a flying (insert whatever)
;-)
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - smokie
I'm all for keeping it light and easy. SWMBO wouldn't let me get away with too much simplicity but I have a piece of absolutely appropriate piece of swinging music selected for my outro - but not being a blues/jazz lover she's saying it won't happen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz4vtVp3fM8

She'd better not replace it with BoyZone or some other crap, or I'll be back!!!
If my wife insists on music, I’d like Springsteen’s “l’m on fire”
;-)
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Bobby
Interesting Runfer.
My dad is 92 add we were trying to organise a family do for him last year with all his kids, grand and great grandkids who are spread all over Uk and Ireland.

Proved to be impossible for everyone to get time off work etc. I commented that if it was his funeral they would all make sure they made it! To be told that employers are more sympathetic and considerate in giving time for funerals which is true.

On a similar note, my dad has money ringfenced in his will to pay for everyone’s travel for his funeral.

Have to say, agree with you, more important to see them when they are alive as opposed to in a box.
>>attending funerals is now more common than being invited to weddings,

I'm not looking forward to the next wedding I've been invited to. It's a pair of vegans, who insist on having an all vegan wedding (even their dog's forcibly vegan - it's been operated on at least once to my knowledge, only to find the problem was gas!).
Fortunately, it's a one-o-clock wedding and I've told SWMBO I'll be stopping to get something to eat first.
Deliveroo could be an option. ;-)
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - zippy
>>I'll be stopping to get something to eat first.

An absolutely fantastic lass who I know got married to a policeman serving in Hong Kong in the late 1980s / early 90s - I forget the exact date.

Anyway, after the wedding breakfast HK style, she was so hungry that she found a McDonalds and got a burger / fries whilst she was still in her wedding dress.

Her hubby went in to security for financial institutions and is amazingly successful.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Robin O'Reliant
We've both agreed to a basic cremation, straight from wherever we croak to the crem with no mourners and no ceremony of any kind. I've made Mrs O'Reliant promise not to tell any relatives until it is all over.

If I was having any music it would be this -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ESf7dQCIg
A funeral is not really about the wishes of the deceased, its about the wishes of the living, those you leave behind. After all you wont be caring what happens. I would suggest that what you want may be rather upsetting to some of your family and friends who might prefer some sort of gathering.

>> A funeral is not really about the wishes of the deceased, its about the wishes
>> of the living, those you leave behind. After all you wont be caring what happens.
>> I would suggest that what you want may be rather upsetting to some of your
>> family and friends who might prefer some sort of gathering.
>>
>>
>>

It will be my funeral and I'll arrange it how I like, thank you. Neither of us are religious and both Mrs O'Reliant and I will have better things to spend our money on than a funeral.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Wed 9 Oct 24 at 17:16
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Bromptonaut
>> A funeral is not really about the wishes of the deceased, its about the wishes
>> of the living, those you leave behind.

Up to a point Lord Copper.

If I were a devout atheist I think I'm entitled to say I want a humanist celebrant, and not some guy in a clerical collar, presiding at the Crematorium.

If my wife chooses to disregard that and have the parish Priest bring in a God etc I didn't believe in to the table then I'd hope there was a God and a Heaven where I could give her merry hell for eternity!!
It was the notion of being secretely cremated or buried without telling any friends and realtions about it that seems odd, I think it would be rather upset if that happened to me if it were my friend or relative. Still takes all sorts I guess.
>>cant get quotes for annual.

Got a couple of rellies who still insist on foreign holidays, because they've annual insurance and "it would be a waste of money if we didn't use it".
They've had recent horrors, with mobility problems, covid, delays and infections!
Don’t blame them I think I would sooner be taken ill in most European countries rather than here,
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Clk Sec
>> Don’t blame them I think I would sooner be taken ill in most European countries
>> rather than here,
>>

Perhaps you should move to leafy Warwickshire...
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Bill Payer
>> Whilst I do pay NCD I'm sure its another Mortgage Indemnity type 'scam'.
>> You may well protect your NCD in theory, but that doesn't stop them stop them
>> loading your premium even higher after the claim. You wont know what an increased premium
>> would be and if there's any difference on that loading if or not you have
>> NCD.
>>

You would know if the renewal quote didn't know about the claim and then you told them. Although in the OPs case his insurer already know so it should be accounted for in his renewal.

It's interesting if you do new insurance quotes with and without NCD - there's generally hardly any differece in the premium. But declare a claim and the premium shoots up regardless of NCD.
The trouble with a 10% NCD is that you have no idea what it is 10% of.
You can use a comparison site and change the NCD field
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Insurance - Fullchat
"The trouble with a 10% NCD is that you have no idea what it is 10% of."

Exactly!
Latest Forum Posts