Motoring Discussion > E-208 and E-Corsa Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 27

E-208 and E-Corsa - Bobby
My brother is going to test drive these on Monday.

You guys that are already in EV land and EV forums, any info for these cars?
What’s the general opinions of them?
 E-208 and E-Corsa - smokie
No info here. The speakev forum used to be a good one (at least for my Ampera) - find the E-Corsa/E-208 bit here www.speakev.com/forums/corsa-e.373/
 E-208 and E-Corsa - Kevin
A nice hybrid cruised past us about an hour ago. She's called "Drizzle" and has a 1MW battery pack.
 E-208 and E-Corsa - Lygonos
Stellantis group use the same battery and drivetrain in most of their cars - was 136bhp/50kWh until recently, latest models have been uprated a bit.

Their app is meant to be dreadful but the basic guts if the cars appear sound.

The choice was between Corsa, 208, DS3, Citroen C4.

The newer 54kWh pack is also now found in Astra, Jeep Avenger, and Fiat 600 (might be more, I don't follow the Stellantis stuff).

Needless to say all are better to drive than their ICE equivalents.

Current deals on pre-reg are attractive - under 20 grand.

www.arnoldclark.com/nearly-new-cars/vauxhall/corsa/100kw-gs-50kwh-5dr-auto/2024/ref/arnbn-n-16343

www.arnoldclark.com/nearly-new-cars/peugeot/208/100kw-e-style-50kwh-5dr-auto/2024/ref/arncq-n-51289
 E-208 and E-Corsa - Falkirk Bairn
Mazda MX30 has a low range - new model has a petrol engine on-board for longer distances

Clearance of the old model - £15K+ almost new, minimal mileage - it seems a real bargain on a well screwed together car - only issue is the low range.
Re Mazda - you forgot those awful rear doors.
Mazda wins on much better quality over the other makes & models.
 E-208 and E-Corsa - Terry
Had a close look at the MX30. For the driver it seems excellent - comfortable, high quality materials streets ahead of most mid range (Peugeot, Citroen, Skoda, Kia etc) competitors.

The on-board recharging removes any range anxiety and means that most local mileage can be done on electric cheap rates.

My problem is doors and rear access - limited legroom, can only open doors after front opened first, limited headroom.

I am in the market for a new or nearly new car - MX30 PHEV totally fits the bill as a driver - but unconvinced by rear doors/access. Heart and head job!
Last edited by: Terry on Sun 25 Aug 24 at 19:56
 E-208 and E-Corsa - zippy
>> My problem is doors and rear access - limited legroom, can only open doors after
>> front opened first, limited headroom.
>>
>> I am in the market for a new or nearly new car - MX30 PHEV
>> totally fits the bill as a driver - but unconvinced by rear doors/access. Heart and
>> head job!
>>

How often do you carry rear passengers. If it's like me - probably less than 5% of my total mileage - I would go for the car I wanted and let the passengers put up with a little inconvenience.
 E-208 and E-Corsa - Boxsterboy
>> Needless to say all are better to drive than their ICE equivalents.
>>

That's assuming you like EVs. I for one prefer a manual gearbox.
 E-208 and E-Corsa - CGNorwich
Curious. I can’ see why you might prefer a manual box to an automatic on an ICE car but surely both are designed to overcome the limited band of power output of internal combustion engines. You simply don’t need a gearbox in an EV. The acceleration is smooth and linear, something you can’t achieve with any gearbox.

What don’t you like about it
 E-208 and E-Corsa - Mr Moo
Also question marks over the longevity of the Wankel rotary engine that is fitted to the range extender Mazda. A couple of magazines have had these on long term test and the economy once the battery charge has run out was pretty poor too.
Economy using the Wankel is something like 25-35mpg. The old Vx Ampera.did better with it's 4-cyl engine running as a generator.

Looks like a (poor) solution looking for a problem.

MX-30 has lovely build quality but is so compromised compared to the CX-30 it is based on.

As for a manual box I can assure you the MG ZS ICE manual is a pile of cack, and the Corsa ICE manual is both slower and cackier to drive than the EV.

Have yet to find a small 3-cyl turbo that I have found smooth to drive via a manual box.

We hired a 1.0 TSi Leon estate a couple of years ago and it was 'ok' but still felt very power-bandy like a 90s turbo diesel.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 27 Aug 24 at 08:02
 E-208 and E-Corsa - bathtub tom
>>Economy using the Wankel is something like 25-35mpg.

That's always been the problem with Wankels, that and short engine life due to rotor tip seal wear. The cost of replacing the seals often meant it was cheaper to fit another engine, as in RO8o's with Ford V4's. The industry hasn't learned, as proved by BIO engines.

I like the Wankel (but wouldn't want to own one). It's basically a 2-stroke and I've a soft spot for them. I believe some Wankel drivers used to add 2-stroke oil to their petrol in an effort to extend the life of the rotor tip seals.
 E-208 and E-Corsa - Zero
The Wankel was a glorious engineering and technical masterpiece. Utterly unsuitable for domestic automotive use tho, cold starts and short runs killed it in a heartbeat. Keep trying to bring it back for that application is folly.
I think it all depends on how you use the car.
Driving say mainly drive around locally 100 mile range is fine.
If you need to drive 200+ miles twice a week then it is the wrong car
If however you drive 200+ only once/twice a month then the cost of petrol penalty is modest in the BIGGER picture of the cost of running a car - depreciation, Road Tax, Maintenance etc etc

E-208 and E-Corsa - R.P.
A friend of mine has a 2020 Corsa - he's owned it for 3 years now. I've been on numerous journeys with him including a long one to the NEC. It seems ok, quite comfortable with a usable range, build quality feels a little cheap to be honest, but it goes well enough and he has range confidence in it. He says its value has dropped like a stone.

One could drop 30 large on a compromised MX-30 range extender to do those occasional 200 mile journeys....

Or you could buy a "premium" car with pokey back seats but real doors, goes like shiz off a shovel and can mange 200 mile journeys without any problem at all.

www.new-car-discount.com/car/lexus/ux-electric-hatchback/hatchback/electric/automatic/300e-150kw-72.8-kwh-5dr-e-cvt/22/

Don't expect they'll be hanging around long.
 E-208 and E-Corsa - Dog
>> a "premium" car with pokey back seats but real doors, goes like shiz off a shovel and can mange 200 mile journeys without any problem at all.

I was looking at one of those parked up outside the Jamaica Inn just now.
I thought it looked okay, but the ole woman said they all look the same these days.

:o}

One could drop 30 large on a compromised MX-30 range extender to do those occasional 200 mile journeys....

Or you could buy a "premium" car with pokey back seats but real doors, goes like shiz off a shovel and can mange 200 mile journeys without any problem at all.

www.new-car-discount.com/car/lexus/ux-electric-hatchback/hatchback/electric/automatic/300e-150kw-72.8-kwh-5dr-e-cvt/22/

Don't expect they'll be hanging around long.
As an update to this, he drove the 208 , Corsa and Mokka.
Settled on the e-208.
But then the dealer also said they had in stock a 500 mile, 2023 e-Corsa top of the range (ultimate?) and so has out a deposit down on that subject to test drive.
Think it was £17k
Further update, didn’t go ahead with Corsa.
When the car was brought to the dealership it was the pre facelift model even though they claimed it was the newest model.

So will prob end up with the e-208
 E-208 and E-Corsa - Biggles
New or used? There are some incredible bargains for two year old cars.
Defo used
So brother bought an e-208. One of the bright yellow ones.
Loving it so far but just found out that Peugeot charge you £11 a month to access the pre conditioning feature and to see the charging level and range (presumably through the app).

That’s a bit sneaky if it not?
 E-208 and E-Corsa - smokie
I thought lots of them were charging for "standard" stuff these days. I'd just do without in this case.
 E-208 and E-Corsa - Biggles
It depends what comes with the package. Do the connected services provide anything else like live navigation?
As a comparison, our Zoe was, I think, around £50 for a three year extension but that was only for limited connectivity such as charge status and pre-conditioning. No navigation but I can see where the car is most of the time.
 E-208 and E-Corsa - Dieselboy
Tesla charge £9.99 a month for ‘premium connectivity’. This includes Google maps overlay on the mapping, live traffic rerouting, access to streaming and probably a few other bits. You can get most of these for free by tethering your phone’s mobile data, but paying means it just works with no kerfuffle. I don’t see it as an unreasonable amount.
Latest Forum Posts