Motoring Discussion > Car Reg Databases Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 27

Car Reg Databases - Bobby
Reported a possible stolen car to the police.
Reg number on my Vehicle Smart App said it was a white diesel golf but there was a parked up black Golf R with the plates on.
Reported it via an online form to police last Monday. No reply so chased up yesterday and they came back to say it’s a black golf on the police database.

Just checked DVLA there and still showing as white diesel Golf?
 Car Reg Databases - Bromptonaut
Discrepancy between databases?

Out of interest why check a random car parked on the road or wherever?
Just didn’t look right where it was parked up.
 Car Reg Databases - Zero
what "vehicle smart app" is this?
An app that’s called Vehicle Smart believe it it not!
Quite useful
 Car Reg Databases - Zero
>> An app that’s called Vehicle Smart believe it it not!
>> Quite useful

Errr, even tho its wrong?
This is the first time I have known it to be wrong.
And the online DVLA database still has it as a white diesel so blaming it rather than the app!

You can store car regs in it “” garage “ so I have our two cars , my dad and the in laws and others that are clueless about when their MOTs are due!
 Car Reg Databases - sooty123
That app looks quite handy to store all the mot, ins renewal etc dates in it
 Car Reg Databases - Zero
>> That app looks quite handy to store all the mot, ins renewal etc dates in
>> it

One uses ones Google Calendar, and sets up reminders that reminds one before hand.
Exactly.
And other cars if you have “responsibility” for them
 Car Reg Databases - smokie
Yes, why have multiple apps that essentially do the same thing!
 Car Reg Databases - VxFan
>> An app that’s called Vehicle Smart believe it it not!
>> Quite useful

I use MyCarCheck and Car-Check. Both seem as accurate as each other, and have been correct every time I've used them.
I found an app called rnwl it allows you add in everything for your cars, plus house ins, boiler servicing dates etc.
 Car Reg Databases - Zero
Just like Google* Diary that synchs across your devices. The one that also has Birthdays, Anniversaries, events, flight details, appointments.......

Jeez what is this trend of duplicating stuff with "apps"

*insert you electronic diary of choice here
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 21 Aug 24 at 09:23
 Car Reg Databases - sherlock47
Do the apps get scraped for renewal dates, and thus targeted advertising?

Not sure that Google calendar does.
 Car Reg Databases - Zero
>> Do the apps get scraped for renewal dates, and thus targeted advertising?

Yees, that where the revenue comes from.

>> Not sure that Google calendar does.

It depends. On the specific data in your diary, if you include a link in your diary, and click it, almost certainly a cookie will pick it up

Unless you are obsessive about your cookie history, and few of us are that anal.
 Car Reg Databases - bathtub tom
>>Unless you are obsessive about your cookie history, and few of us are that anal.

I tend to clear my cookies and cache when they get to 100MB, as they seem to slow down my ancient PC.
 Car Reg Databases - CGNorwich
Tried electronic diaries but always seem a lot of faffing about. Tend to just note any important stuff on the calendar in the kitchen and try to remember the rest. Never been big on organisation! Same with documents. I really should be more organised but never can quite be bothered.
Just works better for me as an app rather than a diary.
 Car Reg Databases - Rudedog
I just use the Govt (DVLA) site that sends out a reminder 30 days before all our MoT's are due - I think it keeps sending them out every couple of weeks until it's renewed.
Does Google diaries update automatically with new dates when you change car? Move reg plates to new car? Fail MOT and take 2 months to get it back on road??
 Car Reg Databases - Zero
>> Does Google diaries update automatically with new dates when you change car? Move reg plates
>> to new car? Fail MOT and take 2 months to get it back on road??

No, but you have to enter a new reg in your app, which is just like entering a new date in your diary. One diary remember, not multiple apps for all the other stuff in your life. why complicate it with multiple sources and use your phone resources (battery memory, internet data) AND give commercial apps your data
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 21 Aug 24 at 12:48
You don’t have a smart phone and worry about companies getting your data….
 Car Reg Databases - Zero
>> You don’t have a smart phone and worry about companies getting your data….

Yeah, I have, so I dont install apps I dont need. or duplicate other stuff

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 21 Aug 24 at 15:16
 Car Reg Databases - CGNorwich
Outof interest how many apps have folks got got on their phones? A quick count reveals I have 93.
 Car Reg Databases - Zero
97, lot of those (51). are installed as part of Android 14
 Car Reg Databases - Crankcase
My phone is constantly giving me the “we’ve removed permissions from a bunch of apps because you’ve not used them in months” message. I think I’ve installed about six, three of which are banking, one is a browser, one game I’ve been playing for over a decade, and a nice mapping app.

Every so often Motorola do an “update” and proudly tell me they automatically put a new game on my phone, so that gets instantly deleted. I have removed permissions for that, but it does it anyway. Bah.
 Car Reg Databases - Dave_
>> how many apps have folks got got on their phones?

74 for me. I thought it would be more, as I'm a fairly prolific phone user both for work and at home.
Latest Forum Posts