Motoring Discussion > Cursing like Mutley Driving Licence Expired!! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 14

Cursing like Mutley Driving Licence Expired!! - Bromptonaut
The Berlingo was booked in for MoT and service today. Garage is on a retail park miles out of town - halfway to Wellingborough and Mrs B is away. Courtesy car booked.

Up at sparrowfart on a day I'm not working, do on line check in and hand in the key. Agent takes my photocard driving licence and politely tells me it expired in April....

Courtesy car turns into a virtual pumpkin.

Absent Mrs B and given it's 3 buses home (and back to pick it up) I have to drive back home and will re-book it asap.

Next job is to sort out new license.

Fushnwushietc
And renewed on line with my passport photo.

Less than ten minutes and cost £15.
 Cursing like Mutley Driving Licence Expired!! - Zero
Just done mine, as I will be 70 next month. Renewed on line tuesday, ariived in post yesterday. And of course, my renewal is free.

Alas however, I have lost entitlements. C1, D1, C1E, D1E. Could have kept them, but didnt need the hassle and cost of a medical.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 16 Aug 24 at 09:54

>> hand in the key. Agent takes my photocard driving licence and politely tells me it
>> expired in April....

Godamn, so in effect you have been driving uninsured as well. And you went abroad. Phew lucky.
>> Godamn, so in effect you have been driving uninsured as well. And you went abroad.
>> Phew lucky.

I agree that 'les flics' might have been a problem if I'd had an accident or been stopped in France.

I think all my insurance (Direct Line) requires is that I hold or have held a licence and am not disqualified. There's a lot of nonsense out on the internet about this is people confuse an expired photocard with driving outwith the terms of a licence such as vehicle categories you have no entitlement to.

Expired provisional licence is another issue too.

Having applied to renew it I have it from the horse's mouth (DVLA) that I can continue to drive.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 16 Aug 24 at 10:08
 Cursing like Mutley Driving Licence Expired!! - Falkirk Bairn
How did you manage to forget?

My wife & I get licence reminders in the post.

I know 2 people who moved house and were driving for years with an out of date licence. Unless you are a careless driver / have an accident the chances of being stopped by the police are remote.

I have had to produce my licence once - lorry in front of me had jack-knifed on ice and a village policeman was in attendance. Sitting stationary for a few minutes a driver a slammed into the side of me - skidded on the ice. Same policeman came along to see what happened and wanted licence.
 Cursing like Mutley Driving Licence Expired!! - CGNorwich
Godamn, so in effect you have been driving uninsured as well.

Insurance would still be valid. Not conditional on valid licence.
Out of interest, did you not get a renewal letter/email from DVLA?
 Cursing like Mutley Driving Licence Expired!! - sooty123
Did mine last week, all done in a few days and free as well.
 Cursing like Mutley Driving Licence Expired!! - Bobby
Exact same thing happened to me at a BMW service.
But the agent was able to check something else that showed that I still had a valid license, it was just the photo card had expired.

And no reminders received for it.
>> Out of interest, did you not get a renewal letter/email from DVLA?

Certainly nothing in the mail. Email that was overlooked or went into junk is, I suppose, possible.
 Cursing like Mutley Driving Licence Expired!! - Bill Payer
>>>> Godamn, so in effect you have been driving uninsured as well.
>>
>> Insurance would still be valid. Not conditional on valid licence.
>>
It's a bit of a can or worms - although the card is just a representation of your licence, it is illegal to drive with an out of date photocard.
>> It's a bit of a can or worms - although the card is just a
>> representation of your licence, it is illegal to drive with an out of date photocard.

It needs sorting. I've still got the paper licence valid until I'm 70.

I guess that push=shove the DVLA would be able to show that a photo licence was issued in 2014 and that it supercedes the paper one I got at last move of house in 1998. Offence omitted.

But unless the hire company behind the courtesy car can see that difference it's a bit odd.
 Cursing like Mutley Driving Licence Expired!! - Biggles
>> It's a bit of a can or worms - although the card is just a
>> representation of your licence, it is illegal to drive with an out of date photocard.
>>
Only if you have not applied for a renewal (and non-endorsable anyway).
Last edited by: Biggles on Fri 16 Aug 24 at 20:29
New licence on the doormat this morning.

Five days, two over a weekend, since I applied.

Chapeau!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 21 Aug 24 at 12:00
Latest Forum Posts