Motoring Discussion > Oh Dear Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 17

Oh Dear - Zero
The Beemer has disgraced itself. At just over 90k miles and nearly 7 years old, the rear air suspension has given up the ghost. Quick google reveals this to be common at age/mile commensurate, and could be a mere sensor (120 quid fitted) fuse or relay, or pump/suspension leg(s) at nearer £1k.

To be fair, its hauled 70kg (cage and two dogs) in the back for all its hard life, never had an advisory, or anything other than service related items. Problem is it needs the BMW diag tool - ISTA - to delve into theses codes/settings, so I am at the mercy of my indy.

May need to invest in a pirate copy of ISTA going forwards.

Oh Dear - Kevin
I have copies of Insta+ and Esys. Let me know if you need 'em and I'll try and dig out the images and find somewhere to drop them for you to download. I've used Esys to add android screen mirroring, unlock video and add couple of other things in the 440.

The full version of Esys is absolutely huge though because it uses an encrypted database (~100GB) of the featues and config of each VIN along with the firmware for each module (including ECU). I also have a copy of the 'lite' version of the database without firmware which is only about 2GB if you don't need firmware.

You'll need an enet to OBD cable to use them but it's easy to make your own or they're available for a few quid on ebay.
 Oh Dear - Zero
Thanks kevin, dont need the 100gb version (as long as I dont screw up the modules like I did last time - I ended up with a R/H drive US spec and i had to be fully recoded)

What version of windoze does it need? I have an old lappy I can rebuild to a scratch W10
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 15 Aug 24 at 16:13
 Oh Dear - Kevin
Both ISTA+ and ESys will run on Win10 or 11 - I have them installed on an old T480s running Win11.

Do you still have my email address? It's probab;y easiest if you send me your postal address I'll drop everything on a USB stick and post them to you. My domain host has a max individual file upload of 500MB and ISTA+ is 17GB, ISTA-P is 27GB and E-Sys with the lite database is about 3GB.
I have quite a few docs I can include as well.
 Oh Dear - tyrednemotional
Patently upload and download speeds may be an issue, but I've successfully used

www.fileconvoy.com/

over the years for sending large files to a nominated person or set thereof.

Upload, and then forward the supplied link to those you wish to share with. It will be removed after your selected time limit.

If multiple files, simply zip them into an archive and utilise the single resulting zip file.
 Oh Dear - Kevin
That's a handy link - bookmarked.

I'm limited to about 20Mbps for upload at the moment though with FTTC. FTTP availability is promised before end of the year.
 Oh Dear - Zero

>> Do you still have my email address?

Dont think so, I'll ask mark if he has it.
 Oh Dear - Zero
And the BMW is fixed. Broken wire to the bypass valve plug. £180 quid.

Oh Dear - Zero
^^^^^

Which is why, if you plan to run a fairly complicated expensive to fix car, you need a good indy with real world high mileage experience who is prepared to diagnose stuff.

The BMW dealer would have loaded the parts cannon, stood back and lit the fuse.
 Oh Dear - Fullchat
Because s******s workshops are full of young 'fitters' who unless the issue comes up on 'diagnostics' haven't a scooby.
Old world mechanics who can problem solve and keep up to date on their brand all work for independents.
 Oh Dear - sooty123
>> Because s******s workshops are full of young 'fitters' who unless the issue comes up on
>> 'diagnostics' haven't a scooby.
>> Old world mechanics who can problem solve and keep up to date on their brand
>> all work for independents.
>>

Tbf there's plenty of bodgers, young and old.
 Oh Dear - Boxsterboy
>> To be fair, its hauled 70kg (cage and two dogs) in the back for all
>> its hard life,
>>

70kg, is one light-weight person. Hardly a heavy load for a large car, depending on what else was in the car?
 Oh Dear - Bromptonaut
Towing Z's 'van might add a bit too. Noseweight is probably another 70kg and, I his Basecamp is anything like my Explore the 'van having only very basic suspension - no shock absorption - gives the back of the car a rough ride.
 Oh Dear - Zero
>> Towing Z's 'van might add a bit too. Noseweight is probably another 70kg and, I
>> his Basecamp is anything like my Explore the 'van having only very basic suspension -
>> no shock absorption - gives the back of the car a rough ride.

Yeah, the BC is on pretty basic ALKO torsion bar suspension, so I fitted the optional ALKO blue shocks - at about 100 quid it was a no brainer really. Helps when the van is running on lighter load.
 Oh Dear - bathtub tom
>>Explore the 'van having only very basic suspension - no shock absorption

I'm surprised, when I was towing stuff around in '70s my caravans had shocks. Dinghy and camping trailer didn't.
 Oh Dear - Zero

>> 70kg, is one light-weight person. Hardly a heavy load for a large car, depending on
>> what else was in the car?

Thats 70kg slung over and behind the rear wheels for most of its 90k life.

So taking in bromps point

Its done 8% of those miles with 70k canine load, 70kg fuel, 80kg van nose weight, 220kg in total on or behind the rear wheels.

(tho to be fair, the fuel weight goes down pretty quickly)

Anyway, its not a wear/component failure this time round, tho I fully expect to have embrace a new pump at some time in the future.
 Oh Dear - Bromptonaut
Citroen's self levelling suspension was both less troublesome and less complex than folks would have you believe. A few height corrector issues, re gassing spheres every few years and one massive leak was all it cost me in the Xantia.

I miss it.
 Oh Dear - Runfer D'Hills
Rear air suspension system still working fine on my 8 years old/210,000 miles Merc.
Then again, my dog doesn’t weigh very much I suppose.
;-)
Latest Forum Posts