Motoring Discussion > Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - Bye-Bye Berlingo XTR hello Toyota Yaris Cross
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 11

Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - Bye-Bye Berlingo XTR hello Toyota Yaris Cross - sherlock47
Probably the kiss of death posting this!

To be be replaced by a Toyota Yaris Cross Icon -Hybrid. Which should see my driving years out. Delivery predicted for mid September on my return from France

The diesel Berlingo will be missed for the carrying capacity and ease of entry and exit, but the need for 5 seats with good boot space on a regular basis has gone with family overseas for the last 4 years and unlikely to be full time returners for foreseeable. And not ULEZ compliant. The only theoretical downside of XTR was it was 2 cm over the height restriction for some ferries (charged more), and Chunnel , but this was overcome by removing roof rails and just ignoring load instructions (limited loading bookings). Once I had overcome its desire to kill me from gear change lag going into gaps on roundabouts I enjoyed it in a relaxed sort of way.

10 years with a depreciation of 900£ per year, (bought with a 34% discount), is unlikely to be replicated with current car pricing. In 60k miles only routine servicing, 8 tyres, still original battery, pads discs. Would have made more if not for some minor panel damage. But fearful of future costs with auto manual box, dpf, dpf-magic fluid, brake fluid, cam belt all on the horizon.

Would have liked to go upmarket from Icon but delivery, wheel size /potholes is an issue. Unfortunately there is no steel wheel option.

Time will tell.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - Bye-Bye Berlingo XTR hello Toyota Yaris Cross - Bromptonaut
Your 'lingo is the same age and trim as mine but you say yours is 'auto'.

Posted on here previously about possible replacement but not actually done anything beyond picking up brochures for a VW Caddy and it's Ford sibling. We have the added requirement of towing a caravan. The current Elddis matches the 'lingo albeit with some Gross Train Weight restrictions. Replacement 'van might be nearer 1500kg MTPLM so need to factor that in too.

On the chunnel we've booked it as a high vehicle, which it is, only for some clown in the high vehicle assembly area to decide it was not and send us to the 'cars' area of the shuttle!!

Don't think it's been on a ferry, other than Calmac where it's not an issue, without the 'van.

At 130k we've had more tyres and front discs as well as pads. Rear discs too as one was fubar after a stuck caliper. Still on original exhaust and clutch though.

Other than the caliper above significant issues have been limited to a failed DPF magic fluid pump, a broken spring and one copy book blot where it had to be towed of the M1 after an injector packed up.

Keeping it, and crossed fingers, for now.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - Bye-Bye Berlingo XTR hello Toyota Yaris Cross - Boxsterboy
My Berlingo (Mk 3) has roof rails and fits in the double-deck Eurotunnel carriages. Petrol, so DPF worries replaced by premature cam-belt failure worries. I change oil early and make sure the right stuff is used. Fingers crossed.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - Bye-Bye Berlingo XTR hello Toyota Yaris Cross - Bromptonaut
>> My Berlingo (Mk 3) has roof rails and fits in the double-deck Eurotunnel carriages. Petrol,
>> so DPF worries replaced by premature cam-belt failure worries. I change oil early and make
>> sure the right stuff is used. Fingers crossed.

Wheels and springs etc mean the XTR trim is a tiny bit taller.

Laden and all things equal the 2-3 cm difference, isn't there. We went through at least once with three or four adults in the 2 deck carriages. But the fact remains that according to the manufacturers figures a 2013 XTR is 20mm taller than the limit for an ordinary car.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - Bye-Bye Berlingo XTR hello Toyota Yaris Cross - sherlock47
When booking on Chunnel, the XTR is automatically treated as a high vehicle. this then limits the frequency of available departures at some times of day. However with roof rails removed it meets the 'lower' requirement (with the aerial down) and as I have said elsewhere 'policing' of the hangar ticket is not carried out once beyond the first roundabout. And only occasionally at that roundabout. If you see a checker, practice distraction or tailgating techniques :) Not sure if so easy in Calais?
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - Bye-Bye Berlingo XTR hello Toyota Yaris Cross - Boxsterboy
>> Wheels and springs etc mean the XTR trim is a tiny bit taller.
>>
>> Laden and all things equal the 2-3 cm difference, isn't there. We went through at
>> least once with three or four adults in the 2 deck carriages. But the fact
>> remains that according to the manufacturers figures a 2013 XTR is 20mm taller than the
>> limit for an ordinary car.
>>

My Mk3 Berlingo is also an XTR, but I think on this model it is just trim differences and with no raised suspension.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - Bye-Bye Berlingo XTR hello Toyota Yaris Cross - Dave_
One of my neighbours bought a new Yaris Hybrid in 2022. Six months on, the Toyota dealer offered to buy it back for more than they'd paid as demand for new-shape Yarises was through the roof.

They exchanged it for a new Yaris Cross Hybrid, and they're delighted with it. Apparently it does the best part of 70mpg! It's outside their house now, and with a private plate it still looks like a new car.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - Bye-Bye Berlingo XTR hello Toyota Yaris Cross - legacylad
Nothing wrong with a Yaris….
An ex asked my car buying advice many years ago, and she listened…bought an almost new Lexus IS200 Cross ( medium sized 5 door hatch). She kept it 19 years, used and abused, never missed a beat…lovely straight six engine.
Some rust finally made her change it…I recommended another Lexus, this time an NX350h but she has a hang up about CVT ( she calls them autos) so bought an older manual Yaris. Loves it.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - hello Toyota Yaris Cross Icon - first impressions - sherlock47
Picked up yesterday.
Took longer to complete the handover/purchase than my last house purchase, but dealership very apologetic and topped up the normal 50% fuel to 100%. They also found me a skinny spare and jack set as agreed, and to my surprise comes with additional mats. I obviously had not negotiated hard enough on trade in and discount. Dealership try very hard to sell profit making extras, but nice touch of final chat with dealer principal. Handover and instruction on MyToyota app etc adequate but questions only really surface after use.

First impressions.

Light steering, handles well, and a fairly tight turning circle. Very quiet on urban driving, but disappointingly road tyre noisy at 70mph, but a short distance only so maybe tyre/road combination issue. Goes well enough, still getting to grips with eco/?? mode, but 69 mpg for first 30 miles on mixed roads looks promising.

Came with a paper user manual, not sure about many of the features, smart locking has already confused me and the book did not help much. I did not expect speed limit warning (triggered from an onboard camera or mapping software???) on the base model. But I expect to find more features or distractions over the coming weeks.

Watch this space for future reports.

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 10 Sep 24 at 09:58
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - hello Toyota Yaris Cross Icon - first impressions - Falkirk Bairn
YouTube can be your friend.

I used it when I bought my CRV over a year ago.
Lots of poor videos but the odd thorough dealer walk through.

Most are American and some have "very very incomprehensible accents".

Best of luck
It took me a few weeks to evaluate and switch off electronics that were annoying me.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - hello Toyota Yaris Cross Icon - first impressions - martin aston
Re road noise I often notice that in an unfamiliar car. I think it’s just the initial newness of the noise and my brain filters it down after a while so I don’t notice. It might just be me of course.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - hello Toyota Yaris Cross Icon - first impressions - legacylad
>> Re road noise I often notice that in an unfamiliar car. I think it’s just
>> the initial newness of the noise and my brain filters it down after a while
>Owned the Vitara for14 months, and I also noticed the increase in road noise immediately.
Finally bought some much better speakers so I can pump up the volume, without distortion, to drown some of it out.
Aerosmith, Status Q, Floyd & AC/DC does the trick.
Not cheep mind..
Latest Forum Posts