Motoring Discussion > ZEV mandate Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 26

ZEV mandate - Rudedog
Maybe some on here have watched Harry's latest talk on the ZEV mandate and how he see's it.

Sounds like the UK could potentially be standing alone by 2030 unless the rules are re-looked at.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwUDR8WTTKQ&t=6s

ZEV mandate - Terry
A very predictable rant from the anti-EV lobby.

He could, of course, be right. But yet to have real effect - (a) the £15k surcharge on ICE for target failure, (b) ever reducing battery cost, (c) increasing range of EV, (d) more numerous public recharging points, all support increased uptake of EV.

Personal view - I do not expect the UK government to relax the target anytime soon. They will simply wait for the carrot and stick to work. If in 2-3 years time we are still obviously off course it is questionable whether they will relax the target or ratchet up the penalties.

What will happen is that UK market car companies will undergo a major shift. We are already seeing more Chinese imports - this trend will continue. Existing companies that do not transition to EV will simply go out of business.
 ZEV mandate - smokie
There's a load of twaddle in the comments underneath which made entertaining reading for at least a minute.
 ZEV mandate - Rudedog
I've also heard that come next year EV's start paying VED but also will be included in the 'luxury'... sorry expensive car tax for cars over 40k - and there are some reports that this will be back dated for three years.

ZEV mandate - Zero
>> are some reports that this will be back dated for three years.

Errr no. Not at all feasible on too many levels.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 13 Aug 24 at 08:58
 ZEV mandate - smokie
The govt page says £190
 ZEV mandate - Manatee
If the UK is too far out of line with Europe it implies to me that UK consumers will not get a very good deal.

Why would a manufacturer want to be in the UK market if a substantial proportion of its offering was lumbered with a £15k 'tariff'?

What they could do of course is simply adjust the denominator. Sell whatever BEV's they can from their range, and simply ration the non-BEV share to meet the cap. This would limt supply quite severely.

The thing is, with cars it is possible for buyers simply to keep the car they have or buy used. Either way the cost of non-BEVs will rise.

A cheap e.g. Nissan Leaf could be an ideal car second car for us. But we don't spend a life changing amount on petrol (current one does 40mpg and 4,500 miles/year) and I simply don't need to update it while it's serviceable (it's 10 years old).
 ZEV mandate - sooty123
www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/credits-key-to-car-makers-achieving-zev-mandate-targets-this-year?gutid=334563

It's a bit more complicated than the chap on the yt video makes out.
 ZEV mandate - Lygonos
Trading in the ZS for one of these:

www.new-car-discount.com/car/hyundai/ioniq-5-electric-hatchback/hatchback/electric/automatic/168kw-advance-84-kwh-5dr-auto/24/

Saves me replacing the front tyres in a few months, and lets me dodge the Luxury tax rate from Apr 2025.

Stacks of delivery mileage 50kWh Pug 208 and Corsa out there for around £19k.

The very last of the pre-reg LEAF 40kWh N-Connecta were on offer from NCD for £13,995 a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 13 Aug 24 at 23:03
 ZEV mandate - Rudedog
While I was on holiday in France during June there were trailer after trailer of brand new Peugeot EVs on the autoroute - all the same metallic green colour - for new cars being delivered they didn't have scrap of protection wrapping on them.
 ZEV mandate - Zero
If they are all the same colour, they will be on their way to a hire company or bought by a utility or public service user.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 14 Aug 24 at 08:51
 ZEV mandate - Bromptonaut
>>Lets me dodge the Luxury tax rate from Apr 2025.

What is this luxury tax rate?
 ZEV mandate - zippy
I think the £410 vehicle excise duty surcharge for cars with a list price over £40,000 is currently not payable for electric cars but will be from next year.

It's crazy how a Vauxhall Astra is now classed as a luxury car!
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 14 Aug 24 at 17:30
 ZEV mandate - Rudedog

Cars with a list price of 40k or more have to pay an additional £410 per year for the first five years in which the standard VED is paid.

From next year this will include EVs

Also it's based on the list price at time of delivery not what you've paid at purchase. So a price increase while your car is being built could push you over the limit.

Not sure if it's passed onto next owner if sold before the limit ends.
 ZEV mandate - zippy
>> Not sure if it's passed onto next owner if sold before the limit ends.
>>

I believe it is.
 ZEV mandate - Crankcase

>> I believe it is.

Definitely is. I bought my Skoda at a year old, and have to pay it. Only two more years of payments and I’ll be free of it, though I might have sold by then.
 ZEV mandate - zippy
>>Skoda…

Who would have guessed, a few years ago, that Skodas would attract a luxury car tax!!! :-)
 ZEV mandate - Rudedog
Probably why it's been rebranded as the 'expensive car tax' - lots of talk about it and the pit-falls over on the GTI forum I use where several Mk8 owners are moving over to the improved Mk8.5 GTI - base model I think is around £38-39k so not much room for any options before you go over let alone any price increase that might happen before delivery - I think the feeling is 'in for a penny in for a pound', may as well have the options you want and go over as the tax stays the same even if you just went over by £1.
 ZEV mandate - Crankcase
>> >>Skoda…
>>
>> Who would have guessed, a few years ago, that Skodas would attract a luxury car
>> tax!!! :-)
>>

Indeed. If I were to replace it today, new, as like for like as possible, it's about 55k. So that's not happening.
 ZEV mandate - CGNorwich
“Cars with a list price of 40k or more have to pay an additional £410 per year for the first five years in which the standard VED is paid.“

Just to clarify the supplement is payable from the second year. There is no supplement payable in the first year
 ZEV mandate - zippy
>> Just to clarify the supplement is payable from the second year. There is no supplement
>> payable in the first year
>>

Thanks, didn't know that.

With the rising price of cars it would be nice if the govt. increased the 45ppm / 25ppm allowance for using private vehicles for business travel.
 ZEV mandate - PR
Thats correct. It also means that the extra tax is effectively for 6 years (5 years AFTER the first year)

Its also charged pro rata in the last year (if the tax year and reg dates no longer line up)
 ZEV mandate - zippy
>>Ioniq 5

Nice. It's a big car.

>>Leaf £13,995.

A steal!
 ZEV mandate - Bobby
I have actually being playing about with autotrader filters and there are a lot of “cheap” EVs. Leaf Tekna with all the toys for less than £15k and not that old.

My wife’s next car will be electric but her 11 year old Beetle might still be going for another 5 years.

Scottish ambulance use the Ionic as a response car. Sons girlfriend drives it as a paramedic but says the range is very poor cos obviously the response speed they drive at but also the amount of ancillary extra electric equipment that is on them.
 ZEV mandate - zippy
>>Range is very poor cos....

Do you know if they have the big or small battery?
 ZEV mandate - Bobby
I don’t sorry.
EN72KEU if you can find anything on that!
 ZEV mandate - zippy
Vehicle identity
Registration EN72 KEU
Registered Date 03 February 2023
Manufacturer Hyundai
Model Ioniq 5 Premium Ev 4X4
Specification 305 4WD Electric 73Kwh Battery
Vehicle Type Car
Body Style Hatchback
Colour White
Year 2023
Fuel Type Electricity
Export Status No
Vehicle Details Power 301 BHP
Engine CC 0 cc
0-60 MPH 5.2
Vehicle Max Speed 115 mph
CO2 Marker A
CO2 Output 0 g/km
Euro Status 6d

I think it was the bigger battery at the time. I guess the hard driving emergency vehicles get will impact range.
Latest Forum Posts