Motoring Discussion > Police use infotainment data to arrest driver Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 6

Police use infotainment data to arrest driver - zippy
str.sg/g5EX

Singapore

A women was arrested / jailed for speeding. The data was downloaded from her infotainment system (radio / satnav / gps).

Probably coming to us soon.
 Police use infotainment data to arrest driver - CGNorwich
Would that be a bad thing.?
 Police use infotainment data to arrest driver - zippy
>> Would that be a bad thing.?
>>

Yes. Who has tested the output to ensure that they are reliable?

Have you seen the reports of GPS based black boxes that have got speed and location totally wrong, placing drivers doing 70 on a motorway on an adjacent 30mph road for example.

One from yesterday for me. My up to date phone reported that I was in a totally different town to where I was and wouldn't let me log to some services.
 Police use infotainment data to arrest driver - Zero
Zippy, you must be aware that you work in business, where you heavily monitor your clients, make judgements based on electronic data, where you have a legal responsibility to report infringements, that can and does become evidence in criminal prosecutions?
 Police use infotainment data to arrest driver - CGNorwich
So your objection is simply on grounds of accuracy and you have no objections in principle if the information so obtained can be proved to be accurate.

I understand that the police regularly check the car’s computer for information including speed at the time of say a fatal collision. Is this so different?
 Police use infotainment data to arrest driver - Zero
To put this in context, one has to be aware that Singapore is an authoritarian, heavily regulated state where the population are already extensively monitored and under widespread surveillance.

As she had already been identified and targeted, existing normal police methods had already been employed, as they would here.

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 28 May 24 at 09:50
 Police use infotainment data to arrest driver - bathtub tom
I recall a report about a lad in this country who had his car insurance cancelled because the 'black box' fitted to his car reportedly showed him exceeding the blanket 20MPH speed limit in Wales.
Someone in the insurance company thought the speed limit covered all roads in Wales!
Latest Forum Posts