Motoring Discussion > Obstructive Sleep Apnoea - Damn Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 14

Obstructive Sleep Apnoea - Damn - zippy
I've been diagnosed - moderate apparently.

Have told my insurance who said they will follow what DVLA says.

Told DVLA via their online service who need to contact the hospital consultant then my doctor. I can drive in the meantime.

Will have to collect a CPAP machine next week.

Not a happy bunny.

Anyone else have this and what happens re driving and insurance?
 Obstructive Sleep Apnoea - Damn - smokie
An acquaintance had something like this, is it where you have an oxygen mask at night? He said it improved his sleep no end. He's never stopped driving AFAIK.

I'm guessing if the DVLA don't stop you then your insurer might be the next hurdle - have you told them?

I just had a look around to find out more. I expect you've seen this.

www.yorkhospitals.nhs.uk/seecmsfile/?id=6569
 Obstructive Sleep Apnoea - Damn - CGNorwich
My brother suffers from this. He got referred to a sleep clinic. He was told he should not drive until the symptoms were under control. He packed up driving immediately as he did not feel safe.He is trying to lose some weight and take more exercise
 Obstructive Sleep Apnoea - Damn - Zero
>> Anyone else have this and what happens re driving and insurance?

There is no hard and fast condition/banned from driving tab* (SiL had epilepsy, but was allowed to drive after certain conditions were met)

Its all about what the medics/doctors say, severity /control etc. Sometimes a condition means you can be banned at the onset, then medical proof its under control gets you your license back.

*unless you are registered blind of course.

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 21 May 24 at 20:52
>>I can drive in the meantime...

Apparently that is wrong - my fault - I ticked a wrong box on the website.

I cannot drive until it is confirmed as being under control.

When I get the CPAP machine I have to use it for a while to see if it makes a difference.

I also need to tell my employer. They won't be happy as the job involves a fair bit of driving.

I presume that they will have to make "reasonable adjustments"?
If the inability to drive is permanent and the ability to drive is an I essential part of your job they would have grounds for termination of your contract of employment. Otherwise I guess it’s a question of acting reasonably.
>> If the inability to drive is permanent and the ability to drive is an I
>> essential part of your job they would have grounds for termination of your contract of
>> employment.

If your "personnel department" has been changed to "human resources" you are in deep doo doo.

(only semi joking)

Zippi will be fine, CPAP machines work very well and very quickly
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 22 May 24 at 09:22
Zippy, you may be acting a little hastily, here is why.

The driving rules are "confirmed moderate or severe obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome (OSAS), with excessive sleepiness" < < Key Words.

The last bit is key, the wifes friend (another ex nurse) has it and uses a CPAP machine, ironically because she kept her partner awake, and he suffered from excessive sleepiness. Anyway, she never had to surrender her DL because she never had excessive sleepiness.

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 22 May 24 at 09:14
Spoke to the CPAP nurse on the phone this morning.

She said don't drive until you get the CPAP machine which will be this Tuesday.

From then on it will be ok because at that point the condition is being controlled.

Said I am getting about 2 hours of sleep a night, which explains a lot.
Did this come on suddenly?

Not a trick question, just curious... no need to answer if you don't want to
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 22 May 24 at 10:19
>> Did this come on suddenly?
>>
>> Not a trick question, just curious... no need to answer if you don't want to
>>

No, probably a couple of years. Just noticed that I was feeling more and more tired. I often had changing sleep patterns anyway, some days 4 hours, some days 10, and put it down to that to start with, then fell asleep on the sofa whilst watching a film when Miss Z was visiting and she ordered me to get tested.
Oh the joys of an NHS daughter. I have blood tests once a year to ensure certain things are still in balance (mainly thyroid but also now gout and they check other stuff while they're at it) and my daughter likes to review them in case the GP has missed anything... (he hasn't yet!!)
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 22 May 24 at 11:22
 Obstructive Sleep Apnoea - Damn - VxFan
I was diagnosed with sleep Apnoea back in 2002 following a sleep study as to why I snored like a thunderstorm.

CPAP machine issued, and a follow up test afterwards.

Inform DVLA and needed to prove it was under control.
Insurance company said that as I long as I have advised the DVLA that I have a medical condition and have been deemed fit to drive, then there is no issue with them.

When NHS funding was reduced, my 3 yr Sleep Apnoea check up was also stopped. Issued with a letter from the hospital saying it was under control and I was fully aware of the symptoms and to contact the hospital if I had any further problems.

DVLA got snotty with me when I informed them 10 yrs later that I was taking insulin for my diabetes and queried why I hadn't had routine check ups. I sent them a copy of the letter from the hospital and they shut up for a while, well until the next time I renewed my driving licence anyway.

I had a check up with the sleep unit and was told my condition was still being well managed. That shut up DVLA again.

It's the archaic way in which the hospital check for Sleep Apnoea gets me.

It's called the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. A basic questionnaire where you can tell a complete pack of lies if you wanted to.

nasemso.org/wp-content/uploads/neuro-epworthsleepscale.pdf
“It's the archaic way in which the hospital check for Sleep Apnoea gets me.

It's called the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. A basic questionnaire where you can tell a complete pack of lies if you wanted to.”

How else could it be done?
I thought I might be a candidate as I snore long and very loud, and SWMBO says she is jealous that I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat if I decide to, but I scored 9, an "average amount of daytime sleepiness."
Latest Forum Posts