Motoring Discussion > Renault - Spare tyre Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 13

Renault - Spare tyre - MD
NO...not mine! Bought van in 02 and the spare has never been used. Now I need two new fronts and I thought why not use the spare and buy an identical other and use one of the worn ones as a spare.

Now will this original (Michelin) tyre be OK after eight years propped in the back of the van. Has hardly been rotated, but I made a 'carrier' of sorts so it has not been subjected to it's own FULL weight. Thoughts and best advice please.

Yours....MD
 Renault - Spare tyre - bathtub tom
How old is the tyre? There will be a DOT code, perhaps only on one side:

www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#top
Van bought in 02 new, so I guess the tyre is about that age. I will look tomorrow.
 Renault - Spare tyre - -
I presume it's been in the dark for most of the time Mart and likely never been subject to prolonged strong direct sunlight?

If that's the case and on close inspection no signs of perishing or other damage i'd use it (you would put it on in the event of a puncture without a second thought) though i'd do as advised and stick it on the back.....where all new tyres go don't they..;)
They should I believe. It looks as good as new to be sure, but I thought I'd ask.
 Renault - Spare tyre - Runfer D'Hills
Even if you are not planning to keep the van very much longer Martin, I think I might just treat it to a new tyre. The old one may well be fine, probably is in fact but you know it's your life and the van contains your livelihood too. Budget tyre for a short term use or a half decent one if you're going to keep it would be my thoughts.
TBH I would never fit budget even to sell. Yeah yeah I know, but I hate crap in any form. The original spare has, as GB says, been in the dark for 8 years and looks pristine, so to save myself probably £80.00 on half a pair of new I thought that one new Michy to match the spare would do and keep a worn one as a spare. If I can I will keep the van forever. The future doesn't look good for industry in this mess of a country.

Regards.............M
 Renault - Spare tyre - Bellboy
its 8 years old and you gunel the van up i read
i would keep it as the spare mate

oh and fit a pair of budget tyres 8 ply ish
no katmadoonies mind
Last edited by: Bellboy on Thu 7 Oct 10 at 21:40
Quite decisive then.
 Renault - Spare tyre - Bellboy
i used to be decisive
but im not too sure now
Two Matadors on now. Silly me. That's what was already on the front!! £70.00 ea. balanced and fitted + vat.

M
 Renault - Spare tyre - Bigtee
TBH I would never fit budget even to sell. Yeah yeah I know, but I hate crap in any form.

Two Matadors on now. Silly me. That's what was already on the front!! £70.00 ea. balanced and fitted + vat.

but I hate crap in any form. Well you bought them old boy and they are crap!! lol.....

Well you are clearly an expert BigTee. Those on the front have never let me down, get pounded to death by a big van carrying large loads (including me) and have lasted for a long time and were today just shy of the wear indicators.

I hope that you don't charge a fee for your opinion or your Professional Indemnity Insurance may be compromised.

By the way what is lol?
 Renault - Spare tyre - Dog
>>By the way what is lol?<<

schadenfreude (kind of)
Latest Forum Posts