Motoring Discussion > Motorway lane discipline Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 22

Motorway lane discipline - bathtub tom
Done over 500 miles in the last ten days or so (more than 10% of my usual annual total). It seemed to me, there were a lot of drivers on the M1 and M6 that sit out in lanes two and three (of four) at a steady 60MPH, that I didn't experience on the M4 and M5.

Is it me, or is it a geographical thing?
 Motorway lane discipline - smokie
Seems a national thing to me. Most of my motoring is M4/M25/M3 and it's the same there.

I've given up going out from lane 1 to overtake a plodder in lanes 2 or 3 (or even 4) and do more undertaking than I should these days. But when they're not even running at 70 they oughtn't be surprised.

I suppose it's going to be me who gets nicked not them though.
 Motorway lane discipline - martin aston
I see this all the time.
The other related discipline that’s slipping on motorways is “mirror, signal, manoeuvre”. Too often it’s “signal, manoeuvre”. This is very unnerving when you are virtually alongside, whether they actually move over or not.
 Motorway lane discipline - Rudedog
Yep see it all the time on my side of the M25 (East) and M20.

It's a question I've always pondered as to what they are actually thinking because I hope none of them were ever taught this... what made them start doing it?

Bit like drivers who pull out in front of you when there is a completely empty road behind you.... why?
I almost lost a friendship once by asking the driver why he didn't pull over when he'd finished overtaking.

Taking a huge amount of offence, he said he'd paid his e***** taxes and he'd drive where he wanted.

I suppose no-one likes to have their driving skills brought into question
 Motorway lane discipline - Runfer D'Hills
I’m sure I read somewhere that 80% of drivers believe they are above average drivers…
;-)
 Motorway lane discipline - CGNorwich
How to drive on motorway.

1 Pull into centre lane
2 Switch on cruise control
3 switch off brain
 Motorway lane discipline - Zero

>> Bit like drivers who pull out in front of you when there is a completely
>> empty road behind you.... why?

Dont mind that if they nip out then briskly get down the road, but when they nip out and then dawdle along, I get effin irate.
 Motorway lane discipline - bathtub tom
>> I've given up going out from lane 1 to overtake a plodder in lanes 2
>> or 3 (or even 4) and do more undertaking than I should these days. But
>> when they're not even running at 70 they oughtn't be surprised.

You and I both! I spent some time yesterday behind a coach that was 'making progress' up the inside lane.
Understandable perhaps but dangerous.
Mostly not really that dangerous, if you're concentrating.
You might be concentrating but is the driver you’re overtaking? If they decide to return to the near side lane when you are completing the manoeuvre you could be in big trouble.
 Motorway lane discipline - Lygonos

That's what the hard shoulder is for, Shirley?
 Motorway lane discipline - zippy
>>
>> That's what the hard shoulder is for, Shirley?
>>

Hard shoulders! What are they!? :-D

Speaking of lane discipline, isn't this thread in the wrong sub-forum?

And to think a MOD has "driven" here too! ;+D

Motorway lane discipline - VxFan
All members of CLOG

Centre Lane Owners Club.
>> I suppose it's going to be me who gets nicked not them though.

Probably not, if you maintain your legal speed, your lane is clear, and you keep your lane. Undertaking is not an absolute offence in itself. (allowed in traffic for example, approaching roundabouts etc etc). If you make an extravagant obvious punishment undertake, you will.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 8 Apr 24 at 13:10
>>
>> Is it me, or is it a geographical thing?

Talking of lane discipline, why is this thread in the wrong lane? (ie non motoring)

{Not any more. Moved}
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 8 Apr 24 at 13:07
 Motorway lane discipline - R.P.
Did, M56, M6, M42, M40, M4 and return Easter Weekend, It appered to me that discipline was better down south, mainly due to lower traffic volumes and proper use of lanes was easier. There were a couple of middle lane hoggers though.

Drive onto the Wirral now and again and the M62 is pretty good,
 Motorway lane discipline - Bromptonaut
M1/M25 and vice versa out Thursday back yesterday with the caravan.

Tended to just keep in lane 1 at 55/60, pulling out only to overtake, but plenty of others were doing similar speeds in lanes 2 or 3 in four lane sections.
 Motorway lane discipline - Terry
To generalise - a lane hogger is largely unaware of their surroundings, other vehicles, and possibly nervous only venturing beyond local (shops, school run etc) on high days and holidays.

They clearly find it difficult to safely complete complex manoeuvres requiring assessment of the position and speed of other traffic, indicating appropriately, and when safe moving to the left.

Such traumas will inevitably be followed by moving right into a faster moving stream of traffic when they come up behind a slower moving vehicle.

Assuming safety, not speed, is the main determinant tolerance is probably the answer. Tailgating and flashing lights only increases stress in both the followed and follower.

Other options - to get hoggers off motorways address the problem at source:

- new drivers must take and get a motorway certificate added to their licence
. retest (older??) drivers every 3 years - those competent get lower insurance premiums,
- those with high risk issues (eyesight, dementia etc) could be identified.
I believe you are overthinking it Terry. Generally they do not appear to me to be new or nervous drivers.

Driving to pass a test doesn't change your driving habits.

I believe they are simply selfish people who don't care about their surroundings or who they might be inconveniencing, and are mostly oblivious to their surroundings.
 Motorway lane discipline - Manatee
Or confident and experienced drivers who simply won't make the effort required to drive on the left.

In fairness on busy 3 laners, if you are trying to maintain 65-70, you might as well join the MLOC yourself, because once you pull over into lane 1 you'll get no consideration from the MLOC membership and you'll end up at 56mph behind a wagon unless you book early for lane 2.

If it's lack of awareness I think it's wilful on the whole. The sheer lack of consideration would drive me nuts if I let it.
 Motorway lane discipline - Dave_
Many people see driving as a chore, not a skill. They don't assess their own driving, so they don't know they're bad at it, and so they have absolutely no interest in improving their technique.

I've come to accept and expect such behaviour whenever I'm on the road, it makes for much lower blood pressure.
Latest Forum Posts