Motoring Discussion > Ford Focus - Battery life Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 8

Ford Focus - Battery life - L'escargot
My car's battery is coming up to seven years old. Is it living on borrowed time? What's the life expectancy of a (relatively) modern Ford battery?
 Ford Focus - Battery life - Iffy
The battery in my last Focus was more than seven-years-old when I sold it.

No sign of weakness, although when car batteries fail, I think they do so quite quickly.

Ford Focus - Battery life - Dieselfitter
No probs at all with the battery in my 2001 Focus 1.6 Zetec (yet). You may be OK for a bit longer....
Last edited by: Dieselfitter on Mon 8 Mar 10 at 15:13
 Ford Focus - Battery life - crocks
My Focus is ten and a half years old and I believe it is on the original battery. ( I have had it five years and there are no signs of it having been replaced.)

Occasionally,when the ignition is turned on, the speedo and tacho do a full sweep before dropping back to zero . From what I read on HJ this could be a sign of impending battery failure but it survived this winter without any problems despite being left unused for days on end and only being used for short journeys.

I am reluctant to replace the battery until it is really necessary but I have started to look at prices and will ask in the main dealer when I am next there.
 Ford Focus - Battery life - henry k
>>have started to look at prices and will ask in the main dealer when I am next there.
My last battery, a similar one, for a MKII Mondeo, Calcium Silver of course cost almost £100.
Do not be tempted with a "cheap" old spec battery.
 Ford Focus - Battery life - Dieselfitter
Generally with you on that Henry, but is it worth buying a premium battery with a 10-year life for a car that's already, say, 10 years old?
 Ford Focus - Battery life - henry k
Not so much a premium battery but IIRC one that will accept the higher charge rates rather than fail early from being over cooked :-)
 Ford Focus - Battery life - crocks
This link (from a very familiar looking site) gives pearls of wisdom from "Screwloose" and one "henry k".

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=64215
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 9 Mar 10 at 00:59
 Ford Focus - Battery life - Bagpuss
The battery in my Merc failed last year after the car was standing outside under a layer of snow in sub zero temperatures for 2 weeks whilst I was away on business. It was date stamped 2000 so 8 years old. As someone mentions above, it didn't fade away, it literally wouldn't turn the engine over from one day to the next. It died so suddenly that I initially suspected a blown diode pack in the alternator.

Fortunately Mercedes were offering OEM replacements at 40% off list price so I jump started the car, drove to the dealer and bought a new 100Ah jobby which I fitted it in the car park. Had difficulty hauling the old one out though - I'd forgotten how heavy lead acid batteries are.
Latest Forum Posts