Motoring Discussion > Not another one Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 19

Not another one - CGNorwich
Just noteced on my car app on my phone that I have a puncture. On inspection it's completely flat That's the third puncture in the same tyre (rear left) since October!.

First was a bit of twig, probably the result of hedge trimming, that penetrated the shoulder of the tyre and necessitated a new tyre. Cost £150. The second was a screw in the tread which was repairable, cost £28. Can't see what the problem is with the third but have the AA coming round so am hoping that they can do a temporary repair to get me to the tyre shop in the morning as don't have a spare.

Prior to this haven't had a puncture for at least ten years
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 7 Jan 24 at 16:36
  Not another one - Bromptonaut
Similar story to your second one.

Went out to the shop Tuesday eve while Henk was in his pomp. Down to just the Fabia as the broken Berlingo had not yet been collected. OK on way down. Coming back there's that noise that says either very dodgy surface or a flat. Quick check on return to base and nearside front flat as a pancake. No warning from the car's system.

Wednesday morning saw a break in the weather and, not without some effort and potential damage to my back got the spare on. Not a spacesaver but spare is 15" compared to normal 16"alloy but higher profile.

Flat would not inflate above 1bar and only needed hearing to locate hole on shoulder of tread. Either kerbed or, more likely, pothole damage. Like you £150 for a matching Goodyear. Original was nearly new, fitted last Aug.

While on the spare the TPMS threw up a message but not wheel specific. Reset and carried on.

Coming home after the replacement was fitted it came on again, reference the new tyre. Assumed this to be spurious due wear difference etc and re-set.

All OK since.
AA just been. Stone in wheel this time . Have done a temporary repair but very near shoulder so don’t think repairable. Will take it in tomorrow. Another £150.
  Not another one - Runfer D'Hills
Y’see, I reckon it’s the weight of those electric cars is your problem. Run over something sharp with all those heavy batteries on board and it’s bound to knacker yer tyres. Stands to reason dunnit?
;-))))))
  Not another one - Zero
Its the magnetic field from all that electrickery attracting stuff into your path.
That too!
;-)
  Not another one - legacylad
I’ve said that for years
Normally after a gallon of beer :-)
  Not another one - tyrednemotional
...it's probably leaving Ion filings around....
It could be argued that there might be positives and negatives to that theory…
  Not another one - Zero
>> It could be argued that there might be positives and negatives to that theory…

Watts your current theory?
It’s not fully developed, but matters may improve if the tyre had a plug put in it.
  Not another one - Kevin
Could be either a faulty Flux Capacitor or a nut behind the wheel.
  Not another one - Bobby
What sort of temporary repair do the likes of the AA do at the roadside?
They don’t do the “mushroom” trick do they?

Does your car not have a tyre inflator in it that you could have first off all attempted to pump up the tyre to see if it would hold till you drove to Tyre place?
I’m not sure what you mean by the “mushroom” trick. This explains how the carry out the temporary repair.

www.theaa.com/about-us/newsroom/innovation-and-technology/seals-tyre-plugger

I could not reinflate the tyre myself even if the size of the puncture allowed it as the tyre was completely flat when I discovered it.

The AA were commendably swift and efficient.

Now to find a new tyre. Looks like Wednesday at the earliest.
  Not another one - Bromptonaut
>> I’m not sure what you mean by the “mushroom” trick. This explains how the carry
>> out the temporary repair.

Not seen the device you mention there which is a sort of 'get you home' offer.

To me the 'mushroom' device can be a permanent repair but fitting requires the wheel to be off the rim and the puncture to be away from the edge of the tread. The hole is drilled out to a regular size with the area around thoroughly cleaned roughened and some sort of vulcanising solution applied - as with patching a bike's tube.

My recent one, like yours, was out of scope for a repair as it was very near the sidewall.
  Not another one - Bobby
Have seen videos where the mushroom repair is done from the outside as a temp measure.
Drill hole. Push the “mushroom” thing through(with adhesive on it) and then pull back and it opens like a wall plug inside the tyre and seals enough to get tyre inflated.
  Not another one - Oldgit
>> Have seen videos where the mushroom repair is done from the outside as a temp
>> measure.
>> Drill hole. Push the “mushroom” thing through(with adhesive on it) and then pull back and
>> it opens like a wall plug inside the tyre and seals enough to get tyre
>> inflated.
>>

Something similar was deemed a permanent repair in the late '50s and early '60s. I repaired multiple punctures in my Austin Healey Sprites using the old bottle of adhesive and selection of flexible black rubber 'snakes' supplied in those instant repair kits. Seem to remember putting a roughing up tool in the puncture, then attaching the rubbery serpent to the insertion tool, putting into the hole and then pulling it out and then snipping off the excess leaving about an 1/8th inch or less.
I then carried on as though nothing had happened, often driving at the then maximum permissible speeds allowable or at least where possible usually on the M1 and M6.
Something similar was done by the AA a few years back when I discovered a nail in my rear tyre well into the tread on my driveway.
This was done in situ but was warned to get it 'properly repaired' as soon as possible, meaning tyre off and vulcanised mushroom repair. Not a lot of difference really but at least much larger surface area of contact inside the tyre.
  Not another one - Oldgit
>> Just noteced on my car app on my phone that I have a puncture. On
>> inspection it's completely flat That's the third puncture in the same tyre (rear left) since
>> Prior to this haven't had a puncture for at least ten years
>>

I think punctures often come in threes just like buses.
Chap down the tyre shop couldnt believe it. He had dealt with the last two punctures. Hoping my luck will change. Might get a lottery ticket this week
  Not another one - slowdown avenue
me too . tmps light comes up, on an A road clearway sunday 31st dec. wind and rain. make it to a nearby garage. tyre was half flat and i could feel the air coming out. It was just a hole,no metal.
no spare wheel, just the gunk. never had to do this before. lucky've the handbook in the car, but there are two version's, figure it out .it worked. Next day's a bank holiday. its an Audi A3 2022 all 4 tyres are different budgets, had to buy a new tyre because they refused to repair it because of gunk in the tyre .
I took the tyre home with gunk swirling around inside. thought it might have been a failed repair.
4 days later the gearbox malfunction light came on. The hire company pick up the car tomorrow. I checked the engine oil it looked as if it was a diesel engine which its not
Latest Forum Posts