Motoring Discussion > Smart Fortwo - Super Smart
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 13

Smart Fortwo - Super Smart - tyrednemotional
Our Smart Fortwo sailed through it's 5th MOT today, approaching it's 7th birthday. No advisories again.

At some point I'll consider replacing it, but there are few, if any, obvious candidates.

It's been so "right" (and a lot of fun) that I would have considered another, but the only one available new is now electric with an absolutely paltry range. (enough for heading down to the shops, but probably bum-clenchingly low if essaying out for a country walk on a cold day).

The current one was bought pre-reg (9 miles, 2 months old) at a significant reduction on list. It has all the toys (leather, heated seats, auto, panoramic sunroof, satnav, etc). Similar low-mileage and age ones are currently retailing (trade) at around £100-300 less than I paid for mine seven years ago! :-O
 Smart Fortwo - Super Smart - Runfer D'Hills
Sounds like you should probably just keep it more or less indefinitely. If it does everything you need and want from it, and it’s not showing any signs of deterioration, there seems little point in changing it unless you just fancy a change.
 Smart Fortwo - Super Smart - Duncan
It's 'Shed of the week', with these people.

tinyurl.com/yc55xwvt
 Smart Fortwo - Super Smart - legacylad
Nothing nothing about Smart cars, are they rebodied on the underpinnings of another manufacturer ?
My neighbour has owned a 2 door Smart for several years, so must be happy with it. Their other car is a 2.0 Tdi Yeti 4x4 which is a keeper so he tells me.

If you like it keep it.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 17 Nov 23 at 07:46
>> Nothing nothing about Smart cars, are they rebodied on the underpinnings of another manufacturer ?
>>

Nothing like most other cars. The core is a steel "tridion" safety cage (the silver bit in the below picture) onto which are bolted largely plastic body panels. Reputedly very "crash-safe".
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Fri 17 Nov 23 at 07:52
>> It's 'Shed of the week', with these people.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/yc55xwvt
>>

...a rather different car, Duncan. Mines like this:

m.atcdn.co.uk/a/media/w1024h768/4bfb1b8411c54100abf212dc68dea884.jpg
 Smart Fortwo - Super Smart - Duncan
If you are happy with it - and you seem to be - then keep it, I think you have already decided that.
...still mulling things over, but I might treat it to a new battery before winter. ;-)

What does it take AA or AAA?
;-)
Coincidentally, my Merc passed its 5th MOT recently again with no advisories and with north of 200,000 miles on it.
Of course I know everything wears out eventually but so far so good!
 Smart Fortwo - Super Smart - legacylad
>> What does it take AA or AAA?
>> ;-)
Probably a CR2032 :-)
>> What does it take AA or AAA?
>> ;-)
>>

...depends whether you want the radio and the headlights both to work at the same time...
 Smart Fortwo - Super Smart - Bobby
There’s an interesting thought for a wet Saturday morning.
Taking a look at that car, what percentage of the journeys you do would that car meet your needs?
For me I am thinking probably about 50%. The other 50% probably involve carrying a Labrador or other passengers.
Sunny here! ;-)
But yes, I suppose I’d say for me anyway, my son’s little Aygo would do everything I need probably 50% of the time. Nipping to the gym/supermarket/post office etc. My wife’s Renegade would work at least 75% of the time, perfectly fine for long journeys and a good amount of accommodation for people and their stuff. However, my large estate car works for me 100% of the time. Does everything.
Latest Forum Posts