Motoring Discussion > EV, Ford and Octopus IO tariff Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 12

EV, Ford and Octopus IO tariff - smokie
Anyone seen any info on the above combo?

I just read that Ford are withdrawing/rewriting their API so that owners cannot use the Octopus IO tariff, as it uses the Ford API to do stuff with managing the car charging.

The expectation is that Ford will, along with others, monetise access to the charging software. Whether this includes the stand alone app (which most likely companies the software) I'm not sure. I suppose it would. I think others (BMW for one?) already have subscription options for some extras.

The stated view is that old fashioned car makers simply don't understand the need of the upcoming generations of car buyers, whereas the (often Chinese) companies designing and building EVs from the ground-up have more of a handle on it.

In the meantime Octopus are suggesting any affected move to the Go tariff for the cheaper rates (but not as cheap as the IO tariff).
 EV, Ford and Octopus IO tariff - zippy
One might suggest Ford owners claim on their warranty or sue.

The car was purchased with certain functionality that no longer works.

Of course easier said than done.

EV, Ford and Octopus IO tariff - legacylad
Thank goodness I’m old skool and will remain so until I cark.
Life’s complicated enough.
The other day I left my CAMRA card at home and missed out on beer discount at a pub where they don’t know me
:-)
 EV, Ford and Octopus IO tariff - Zero
>> One might suggest Ford owners claim on their warranty or sue.
>>
>> The car was purchased with certain functionality that no longer works.
>>
>> Of course easier said than done.

At no time did Ford say you had purchased a car with an open API, that they would maintain non licensed access to third parties for the use of. About the only API you as a customer buy is Car play or Android auto.
 EV, Ford and Octopus IO tariff - zippy
If the API was open and now it’s closed then they have changed the product if the API is stored on the car.

This is a growing problem. An electric cycle co went pop a while back and their bikes needed to “call home” to work. Now they can’t call home they now longer work without some techie work on software keys.
>> If the API was open and now it’s closed then they have changed the product
>> if the API is stored on the car.

Which they can do at any time, quite legally, and do quite often these days with over the air updates. You have very few rights over any software you use.
 EV, Ford and Octopus IO tariff - sooty123
What's API, some type of software?
 EV, Ford and Octopus IO tariff - CGNorwich
Application Programming Interface
Think of it as a software socket to plug other software into.
 EV, Ford and Octopus IO tariff - sooty123
>> Think of it as a software socket to plug other software into.
>>
Got it, thanks.

>> The stated view is that old fashioned car makers simply don't understand the need of
>> the upcoming generations of car buyers, whereas the (often Chinese) companies designing and building EVs
>> from the ground-up have more of a handle on it.

It has more to do with cars becoming a subscription item. As far as the Chinese go, they are not forward thinking consumer oriented champions, and no-one trusts their software anyway.
 EV, Ford and Octopus IO tariff - legacylad
, and no-one trusts their software
>> anyway.

Forget the Chinese.
At my age I don’t even trust my own software ....
 EV, Ford and Octopus IO tariff - Biggles
This relates to a GDPR issue which, I believe is now solved.
Latest Forum Posts