Motoring Discussion > Scotland flooding Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 12

Scotland flooding - Bobby
Whilst down south basks in sunshine, Scotland has a weather warning for rain.

Sister and BIL were driving to livingston from Fort William. Down A82 to Crianlarich but then got turned round on the A85 due to road flooded.
So diverted back up to Crianlarich and down A82 towards Glasgow. Got to Tarbert at junction with A83 and road flooded there. So diverted back up the A82 to Crianlarich. So they have done and now sitting in Tyndrum with hundreds others wondering how they can get down.

Coastguard helicopters had to rescue drivers from the A83. Numerous landslides all along it.

Meanwhile I would imagine there are many electric car drivers suffering severe range anxiety and fighting over charging points. What’s the protocol here, half charge your car and free up the charger or sit there longer and take every drop of juice you can get?
 Scotland flooding - Terry
Anyone with half a brain would seriously consider whether they really need to make the journey.

Close to zero sympathy for those caught by the floods for non essential trips. It is a distraction for the emergency services who should be giving priority to real needs - eg: medical needs.

Scotland flooding - smokie
"What’s the protocol here"

This, wot 'e said

"Anyone with half a brain would seriously consider whether they really need to make the journey."

It's not as though it's a surprise.
They are currently heading all the way back to Fort William and then across to Dalwhinnie and come back down the A9.
My BIL runs a personal tourist service thing for American tourists touring Scotland so has two of them that need to get back to Glasgow for a flight back to the states. Gonna be a long long day.
 Scotland flooding - smokie
BBC is reporting "Amber rain warning extended for north and east of Scotland"

I'd be cautious about going out in amber rain.
 Scotland flooding - Timeonmyhands
Could be melted yellow snow.
 Scotland flooding - tyrednemotional
...first law of winter mountaineering..

"Don't make the tea from yellow snow!"
 Scotland flooding - legacylad
Perspiring mucho up a hill today in 28C temps and my Swedish walking pal received a text from his Oban based travelling companion. When we stopped for ‘bananas’ at 11 he said they were due for 7” of rain in 24 hours. That’s a lot.
Still stinking hot here…walks being reduced in length, and earlier starts to escape the late afternoon heat.
 Scotland flooding - bathtub tom
How's the knee standing up to it LL?
 Scotland flooding - legacylad
>> How's the knee standing up to it LL?
>>
Both knees are fine thank you. I began using trekking poles for serious stuff in July 1997...

The late November 2022 hip replacement, which I assume you are referring to, is ok. Had a major setback in May 2023 with it...50/50 whether I needed a wheelchair to get home...went from 16 miles 3x a week to 100 yards within a week, but an ultrasound scan pinpointed the problem, so ( very) specific exercises and a fitness & conditioning coach got me on the road to recovery.

Surprised myself with summiting several high Pyrenean Peaks last month, taken at a comfortable pace. I now put on my sensible head most days.
Aviemore has a severe flood warning for tomorrow.
Seems they know when it’s coming, where it will be, and they can’t do much about it.
 Scotland flooding - Falkirk Bairn
www.falkirkherald.co.uk/

Car park turns into lake at Premier Inn/Brewer's Fayre - 3rd time in roughly 10 years.

Local burn (small river) is swollen with 3 months rain in 24 hours - the burn normally flows through a turn in it's course into a pipe under the road - unfortunately the turn / rubbish washed down & the huge volume of water combine - the burn overflows into the Brewer's Fayre and fills the low lying carpark - on the first occasion 50 cars were lost.

At midnight on Friday many cars were moved however others were left as the owner's possibly walked home and thought they would pick up their car on the following day!
 Scotland flooding - Duncan
>> www.falkirkherald.co.uk/

I have never had so many drop downs!

No, I do not want to consider my subscription options!

I am quite happy with my ad blocker, thank you!
Latest Forum Posts