Motoring Discussion > Recovery insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: neiltoo Replies: 9

Recovery insurance - neiltoo
For many years I used Quoteline Direct for the SAAB, which covered all the normal services together with European cover for £70 per annum.

I have only needed their service twice in this country, and once, this year in Germany, when the clutch collapsed.

On each occasion, the system has worked: once for a failed battery, and more recently, a massive puncture in snow, when I couldn't undo the wheel nuts.. In Konstanze, the recovery was fine. As it happens, I had managed to coax the car to a car park exactly opposite to a tyre, brakes and clutch workshop. I feel I was ripped off by them, but that's another story!

The repair took two days. Quoteline covered two nights B+B for two in the local IBIS.

All in all, I've had good service from them, and wouldn't hesitste to recommend them.

However...

They won't now cover the SAAB since it's 16 years old.
I've tried Green Flag but ditto.

Before I try everyone else does anyone know if this is the same for all of them.

Ta

Neil
 Recovery insurance - Duncan
>> They won't now cover the SAAB since it's 16 years old.
>> I've tried Green Flag but ditto.
>>
>> Before I try everyone else does anyone know if this is the same for all
>> of them.

LV cover our 21 year old Yaris for breakdowns and recovery. Is that what you are asking?
 Recovery insurance - Bromptonaut
LV/Britannia have (SFAIK) on upper limit though we've not had a car past 14 years.
 Recovery insurance - legacylad
Which reminds me...I’ve no breakdown cover on the Vitara for either U.K. or forthcoming trip to Spain.
I’d better sort something soonish :-)
 Recovery insurance - Runfer D'Hills
You could perhaps get it as a bolt on to your car insurance. Or, it might be available as an add on to your bank account. I think I have both errantly enough.
With my car insurance (Santander) it’s avaiłable for £112, inc both U.K. and EU ‘ emergency assistance’ ...but were unable to give me specific details of the cover.
Think I’d want both personal & vehicle repatriation to cover a worst case scenario if the engine goes bang.

Green Flag quoted £96 for a single EU trip of 45 days...no U.K. cover.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 4 Sep 23 at 14:04
I’d think it does cover recovery back to uk. However, can’t they provide you with a set of terms and cons before you agree?
Had T & Cs emailed...max 30 days duration any one trip....so no good.

Went on a comparison site and Green Flag was £72 for both U.K. & EU cover, 12 months. Seemed too good to be true but a phone call confirmed it had the cover I require, and GF seem to have positive reviews. It’s not an all singing & dancing policy but covers the essentials.

An inauspicious start to my first time with Brittany Ferries. I’m partial to a decent pint and appreciate good pub grub...was booked in at the Ferry Bridge Inn, Saltash, for B & B the night prior. Very apologetic phone call today cancelling my booking due to important unscheduled maintenance work. Hey ho.
Need to trawl the inter web for a similar pub within a short distance of Plymouth.
That sounds ok re the insurance.

Go on booking.com or trivago. They usually find something ok.

I freaking hate ferries. Been to Ireland and back this week Cairnryan/Belfast return and at just over 2.5 hrs crossing I was bored stiff even with that. I’d far rather a short crossing and a long drive. Nothing to do on boats that I’m especially interested in.
 Recovery insurance - tyrednemotional
>> Nothing to do on boats that I’m especially interested in.
>>

...you didn't invest in a cabin, then?..

Back on topic, the motorhome is covered pan-Europe quite comprehensively and surprisingly cheaply as an insurance add-on. Given the standard of driving experienced over the last few days, I wouldn't be without it (I know it's not accident insurance, but . )

I've confirmed my opinion of the Belgians as being the worst drivers in Europe. One particular incident is probably worthwhile pulling off the dashcam given its audacity.

They are closely followed by the Dutch, sometimes literally, though the artic that took up 2/3 the road in a bend at speed and missed me by microns deserves a special place in hell - my tyres were against the kerb, and SWMBO out of her seat.
Latest Forum Posts