Motoring Discussion > New number plates for travel abroad Legal Questions
Thread Author: PR Replies: 37

New number plates for travel abroad - PR
I checked the GOV website to see what constitutes legal plates for travel abroad, which would negate the need for a large UK sticker.

It says that if you have a union jack with UK on the left hand side you do not need said sticker

It doesnt say if you need that flag and badge in a blue band, as was previously the case

Does that mean you can do either, ie have a blue band or just have the flag/UK on the yellow background?

www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-identifiers-and-stickers

New number plates for travel abroad - Runfer D'Hills
We were in France this summer with a UK sticker on the back of our car, a French guy who was holidaying next door to us and that we got talking to mentioned it, and to our slight amusement and a little chagrin on our part, he told us that it had occurred to him to wonder why a Ukrainian car was right hand drive.
 New number plates for travel abroad - Boxsterboy
Let's just hope any belligerent Russians don't make the same mistake!
 New number plates for travel abroad - Bromptonaut
AIUI if you have the union flag and UK where previously you'd have had the EU flag and GB you're fine and don't need a UK sticker - except in Spain, Cyprus or Malta.

We've just put UK stickers on both cars and the Caravan.
 New number plates for travel abroad - Manatee
You don't need the big oval UK sticker. Look on eBay, there are stickers to put on your number plate with the blue ground, flag and country code. A country left quid delivered.

My plates are plain, removed the sticker when we got back.
I did the sticker thing on the number plate but I thought it looked a bit cheap.

The question is do you need the blue background or not?
 New number plates for travel abroad - legacylad
As I understand it, exactly as Bromp says.
New plates on my Yaris have the Union flag, with U.K. directly below on the plate.
I’d still be required to fit a large oval uk sticker when driving in Spain ...although I’m not taking the Yaris.
Yes thats my understanding of it aswell

The question was, do you need the blue background? Ive seen a few cars with the union flag and UK letters, but no blue background
 New number plates for travel abroad - Bobby
I must have a look around when I get home, but don’t recollect seeing lots of new cars in Scotland with the Union Flag on the plates.
On a technical note, why is the requirement for UK /GB as opposed to individual country names?
Not sure Bobby, it’ll be something to do with Boris or Rishi or one of that lot!
;-)
 New number plates for travel abroad - tyrednemotional
...more like William Pitt (the younger)... ;-)

(though I'd like to blame both Boris and Rishi)
...according to this, which has some endorsement, no you don't need the blue background:

www.bnma.org/news/uk-flag-number-plate-design-confirmed-for-overseas-travel/

(Note, whilst it defines a legal and "default" design, it doesn't debar those with the UK and flag on a blue background - I have used the small overlay stickers mentioned up-thread, which have such a design).
Speculating, but I wonder if the blue ground is there originally, in the EU version, because that's the colour of the EU flag??
Or, just slap an oval UK sticker on the car and be done with it! ;-)
Think I got two of them on Amazon for £2.99. Job jobbed.
>> Or, just slap an oval UK sticker on the car and be done with it!
>> ;-)
>> Think I got two of them on Amazon for £2.99. Job jobbed.

Me too, though they were a bit pricier as I was last minute.com.
By the way, I got this tip from somebody sometime but it works anyway.
Prior to applying a sticker, obviously you need to ensure the surface you’re sticking it to is clean. Then, after removing the backing paper, very quickly dunk the sticker in clean lukewarm water and then apply. Two or three benefits to this method. For a few moments you’ll be able to slide the sticker into its “perfect” position, it won’t trap air bubbles and if/when you want to remove it, it’ll not be stuck like something dreadful to a blanket.
Good tip there Runfer. Lots of fancy stickers, things like racing circuit silhouettes, have that advice.

Warm before removing too.

When I was a kid and we put GB stickers on Dad's car they had a warning on about damage that might occur to certain Rolls and Bentley finishes. Never a worry with a company Hillman Hunter or Ford Granada!!
You can of course get magnetic ones, but they’re no good on E Class estates as the tailgates are plastic. Whouda thunk eh?
>> You can of course get magnetic ones, but they’re no good on E Class estates
>> as the tailgates are plastic. Whouda thunk eh?

BX was like that too..
And should you put them on the bodywork or window? I’ve spent hours googling this matter :-)
Bodywork, not window. Windows are for looking through. ;-)
 New number plates for travel abroad - Manatee
In theory yes. You either have the oval, or the usual thing on the plate.

Mine looked fine TBH, that is. no worse than a made up number plate. The lesser evil IMO.

Your third option is to be non compliant, with probably very little risk.
Yes, to be honest we saw a lot of Brit cars in France with either no country markers or “old” GB ones. I imagine it’s the sort of thing that would just be added to a list if one had otherwise attracted the attention of les flics but might not be an issue if not.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 30 Aug 23 at 19:35
 New number plates for travel abroad - sooty123
Seems quite a faff over a sticker, are people actually pulled over for the wrong colour background on a sticker?
>> Seems quite a faff over a sticker, are people actually pulled over for the wrong
>> colour background on a sticker?

Until I've seen a report with time/date and pictures I'll go for no.

The internet is full of stories of 'les flics' pulling Brits over for silly stuff.

Other than those involving speed over the French limit next to none are plausible.

In around 70k miles in France over the last 20 years I've been signalled to stop twice. Both looked like roadside spot checks for insurance, MoT and general compliance. Not sure we do them for cars in the UK but VOSA do them for LGVs.

Both times, as soon as the Gendarme (or whatever brand of rozzer was involved) clocked either the UK plate or driver on right, he frantically waved me back into the traffic.

They no more want a linguistic etc struggle over MoT v CT etc than our lot would.
 New number plates for travel abroad - sooty123
>>
>> They no more want a linguistic etc struggle over MoT v CT etc than our
>> lot would.
>>

That was my thought, I've not done as many miles in france as you but I think think the worry of very minor regulations seem out of proportion of how bothered the French are about that sort of thing. Certainly from the time I was working in France and with the French abroad they are actually pretty laid back especially, for example, about carting 1664 all over the world.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 30 Aug 23 at 23:33
The nature of my work, particularly pre-Brovid, involved a lot of European road trips over a number of decades. I’ve always had all the kit, bulbs, stickers, breathalysers, hi-viz vests and so on on board to comply with whatever rules were in place at any given time. Winter tyres if required as well. France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Poland and Portugal in the main.
Never once have I been stopped or checked for any of it. I’d think it’s maybe more of a problem if you’re pulled over for a moving offence or have an accident or something.
...I think I might have posted about this on here before.

About 6/7 years ago I was in the campervan high in the Black Forest. Long straight stretch, and I spotted Polizei in a layby quite some distance ahead, using a hand-held radar detector.

Quickly checked my speed, but got waved down and pulled in. One officer was despatched to check me, and asked for my papers (personal and vehicle). It took some time as they needed to be retrieved from the onboard safe, but he was friendly and patient.

He gave everything a very cursory glance, and then said, "I've got one a bit like this (he named his model), do you mind if I have a look because I'm thinking of changing", and given an answer in the affirmative, proceeded to be much more interested in the layout, fixtures and fittings, etc. of my 'van.

When he'd had a good viewing, he asked where we were going. "Brauneburg" (best part of 150 miles away). "You might want to rethink that" he said, "The Wine Festival is on and it will be overrun!". He was right, so we did. (He also advised us that we'd have to divert off our direct route due to major roadworks, and told us the best way).
I’ve heard that there’s a culture of engaging with random strangers in lay-bys amongst the campervan community. I’m sure it’s all perfectly explicable…
;-)
...generally not with the Police around, though, surely?...
I guess some of them like a uniform? Wouldn’t know…
;-)
>> I guess some of them like a uniform? Wouldn’t know…
>> ;-)
>>
Do plumbers wear a uniform ?
 New number plates for travel abroad - Dave_
The Octavia estate has a set of GB numberplates with the EU stars, and the smallest UK sticker I could find in the black section on the lower left corner of the back window. Not had any bother in France with it.
Petrol heads heaven on the Pont Aven Plymouth > Santander yesterday.

Some very rare stuff...Honda NSX, a few Jag XK120s including a soft top, Morgans, soft top Bentleys, Moggie 1000, air cooled 911s, and shed loads of BMW and Porsche rag tops.

My personal favourite was the red NSX, seeing as there was no old 911 Targa in evidence.

Surprising how many had no U.K. stickers
 New number plates for travel abroad - smokie
The ferries across to France were stuffed full of that kind of stuff at Le Mans time, including lots of very old sports and luxury cars.

Impressive to see but often reluctant to start once they'd stopped - luckily the ferries seem well prepared for that!!
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 15 Sep 23 at 07:43
 New number plates for travel abroad - bathtub tom
>> The ferries across to France were stuffed full of that kind of stuff at Le
>> Mans time, including lots of very old sports and luxury cars.

I know someone who did Le Mans, Dover - Calais, two up in a Westfield. Says he won't take the Westie again! He is knocking on in years.
We did several “Great European adventures” in our Westfield. 25-30 years ago mind.
Got down into Italy, Spain and all over France on a number of occasions.
Great fun, but now we tend to take a “proper” car for comfort and practicality.
Some of us took a mini to Interlaken over 40 years ago. Heavy old tent and cooking gear on the roof rack. Climbing gear, ice axes and crampons on the back seat. Did lots of stupid, irresponsible stuff on snow & ice as it melted. Somehow survived, but in retrospect was definitely a Darwin awards contender.
Surprisingly, did something similar in the Dolomites twenty five years later when I was old enough to know better.
Latest Forum Posts