Motoring Discussion > Motorpoint Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 28

Motorpoint - legacylad
Chatting with my neighbour, he swears by Motorpoint, having bought his past 3 cars from them.
No negotiation, which he prefers, a supplementary admin fee I believe, and off you go.

Personally I have reservations…I’m not confident the vehicle would get a proper going over in a workshop facility, nor do I think the prices are particularly keen. I’ve been monitoring the site looking for a Vitara SZ5…one recently popped up, same 69 plate, similar miles, but £2k more than I’m paying, albeit it’s an auto rather than manual.
Bet they wouldn’t put in a full tank of juice, do a gratis minor service, put on 12 months MOT and take it to a Suzuki dealer for an outstanding recall.
Happy to be proved wrong
 Motorpoint - Bromptonaut
No experience (at least anything like recently) of Motorpoint but locally we have The Car Shop who have a similar sales model.

Suspicion on my part is that both a credit brokers who sell cars. Pitch is on £ per week or month for purchasing on tic rather than cash now as would be my start point.
 Motorpoint - bathtub tom
>> No experience (at least anything like recently) of Motorpoint but locally we have The Car
>> Shop who have a similar sales model.

I bought my last from Motorpoint, £2K less than main dealer. I was a cash buyer with no trade-in. There was no pressure to take finance or upsell extras. They'll be my first port of call for my next.

Tried The Car Shop at the same time. Got the impression they were selling finance and extras, with a car as an afterthought.
 Motorpoint - CGNorwich
"Bet they wouldn't put in a full tank of juice, do a gratis minor service, put on 12 months MOT and take it to a Suzuki dealer for an outstanding recall."

Possibly not but does your seller offer you a 14 day no hassle money back guarantee like Motorpoint?
 Motorpoint - legacylad
Good point.
I’m already being ribbed mercilessly by friends over buying another Barbiemobile.
I know it’s a girly car…I’m almost immune to such by now.
 Motorpoint - zippy
My brother (the one who refused to sign the guarantee for his lad's university rent) just dropped £60k on two second hand BMW's (Mr and Mrs) from a similar supermarket set up.

Always buys from the same place. Says it's convenient, likes the non-negotiating thing.

Don't get the admin fee though. Seems like "nikel and diming" to me. One wonders what service you will get when things go wrong.
 Motorpoint - martin aston
Motorpoint prices seem pretty close to market average at the moment. It’s a seller’s market, for now at least, which tends to keep prices in a narrow range.

As for the Car Shop, we bought a one year old Corsa for £5.2k way back in 2011. The main frustration was their dogged following of a sales process even after I’d decided to buy. Sitting through paint protection, GAP, warranty etc was annoying. Also they kept the car’s paperwork back until very late before I could check out the V5 and service history. Even then the V5 was in the name of an anonymous leasing company when I had already clocked that it was a driving school car. Open bolt holes in the passenger footwell being the giveaway. The salesman pleaded ignorance. We did buy the car as the price was very keen and it stayed in the family for a few years : it’s still MOTD with over 100k miles.

We later tried them in 2018 and for a 5 year old Mazda 3. Again the paperwork couldn’t be seen until after the test drive and this showed a gappy service record. We walked but this was typical of the service records of most cars we looked at from several dealers.

I certainly would consider buying again from a supermarket but it would have to at a good saving and with my eyes wide open. And I would try to see the paperwork at an early stage. As for “extras” and finance I don’t buy them myself but if others do then the profit they make on these presumably allows them to keep the car prices down.
Last edited by: martin aston on Wed 16 Aug 23 at 05:26
 Motorpoint - Falkirk Bairn
Defender of Motorpoint!

I have bought 3 cars from MP -
2007 - Xtrail Aventura - kept it 5 years - only issue with MP was the tyre pressures seemed low when I got home. Took it to the garage and found the pressure was 20lbs/sq in instead of around 30 IIRC - Looked at the sill plate - showed 2.0 Bar followed by XX lbs

Car was 100% when sold in 2012 - zero repairs - excluding servicing, pads etc etc

2012 - CRV EX Auto - Issue on day 1 - ride seem a bit harsh - As in 2007 went to garage - 60lbs/sq inch pressure- they had failed to drop the delivery tyre pressures!

11 years on car has been 100%(almost) 1 front spring & new drop link bushes.
Needed battery, exhaust, pads etc etc but that is to be expected

Pick up 3rd car on Sunday
2023 CRV EX 1882 miles on clock, 5 months old - roughly £2K- £2.5K less than Honda Website Prices & AutoTrader - newer & a much lower mileage.

Looked immaculate last Sunday. Extra special examination this Sunday

They did not budge on screen price However, price to change is what matters.
We had a chat on T/I value and managed to get quite a bit more. They increased their original by £300 and my wife & I got up and said we would think about it!

We paused, silence .......
I then said
"You do not want to lose a "sale of the day" for the sake of a few hundred and the sales manager folded.

Toyota & Honda franchises in the last few weeks were on average £1000 - £1200 less T/I value

I hope to still have a favourable opinion after Sunday

PS
Motorpoint knew nothing about the 5 Year Service agreement on the car - Checked with Honda HQ on Tuesday and it has a Service contract - worth maybe £1500 over 5 years to me
£999 extra when the car was bought by the 1st owner!

Motorpoint - martin aston
Great news on the service contract. I bought one on my Civic and it was very comprehensive, even covered resetting the valves when I reminded them. Maybe it was just my dealer but the need to check and remind them what exact service was due and what exactly it covered was a bit annoying.

Also you may be aware as an old Honda hand that the car may be set to variable servicing. This may have changed since my Civic days but then it was a strange system whereby it flagged up separate items and mileages. The service plan covers annual services and I had the car reset to those.
Servicing regime on new car is set via the screen under settings.

Minor concerns over all the electronic function on the car - watched lots on YouTube and a lot happier now.

Set-up might take time but it does not all have to be done before I drive away.
Had some of that issue 11 years ago when setting up phone - it was all beeps rather than ticking boxes on a screen - once setup you rarely have to do anything.
 Motorpoint - Bromptonaut
>> Great news on the service contract. I bought one on my Civic and it was
>> very comprehensive, even covered resetting the valves when I reminded them. Maybe it was just
>> my dealer but the need to check and remind them what exact service was due
>> and what exactly it covered was a bit annoying.

Booked the Berlingo in for service and MoT yesterday; similar issue. The manufacturers interval is 12,500 miles OR 12 months - whichever.

Admittedly the servicing history is a bit involved as over the time we've had there have been some years where mileage we were doing meant there were fewer than 12 months between services. But the dealership should be able to access full history. Decided in the end to add air, fuel and pollen filters to be on the safe side.
 Motorpoint - Terry
I have bought a number of cars in the past (typically 6-18 months old) from Motorpoint.

Their prices were always very competitive and the transaction very straight forward. Much stock was ex-hire fleets with whom I assume they had medium/long term deals.

Their current prices are no longer very competitive (just average), and they seem much keener to push finance deals rather than cash sales. Stock levels also declined during Covid (supply issues?)

If changing car I would look at their stock but may ultimately pass them by.

I have been scanning Autotrader & other sites for a low mileage car within what I was prepared to spend. MP very seldom have cars that I was looking at and I wanted a new / nearly new.

I had not looked at MP for quite a time BUT this one came up on Autotrader. Looked at it on the MP website and decided to go & speak to them - doing it online/on-phone did not appeal.

You cannot judge the salesperson - face, movement, etc and the killer blow was when I said what I wanted as a T/I and we got up as if to leave - the salesman looked at his manager and the manager folded. Extra £400 on the 2nd T/I price - overall £700 less to pay on their opening offer.
 Motorpoint - bathtub tom
>> Much stock was
>> ex-hire fleets with whom I assume they had medium/long term deals.

My last was an ex-hire (8 month old). An old model that had been replaced with a facelift. There were loads around at main dealers too. I guess there was a dealer only auction of them.

Reckon I 'lucked in' at the right time.
 Motorpoint - Bill Payer
>> 2012 - CRV EX Auto - Issue on day 1 - ride seem a bit
>> harsh - As in 2007 went to garage - 60lbs/sq inch pressure- they had failed
>> to drop the delivery tyre pressures!
>>
I had that on a new Honda from a franchise dealer.

And the second remote key didn't work.
 Motorpoint - Slightlyfatdirector
Interestingly I have just bought two cars for staff via Motorpoint and they collected them this week. One had an obvious 'ding' on the front bumper that we were surprised had not been noticed and fixed in advance, so it pays to be thorough. They will be fixing this soon.

We had been waiting for over a year for two lease Octavia iV plug-in hydrids (unrivaled BiK for company car drivers and just nice and surprisingly big cars) and the dealer has no idea when they are to arrive. The frustration at the complete lack of dealer feedback mean't we had to rethink our plans.

Out of the blue Motorpoint seemed to have a few in stock (had not been the case each time I had checked occasionally across the year), and while the prices were relatively high (par for the course at the moment sadly) they were in stock, and we just couldn't afford to wait for a completely unknown period for the lease cars. The dealer couldn't tell us anything. Weeks, months, or another year away? "No idea Sir".... Dreadful really.

Anyway, within a few hours they had each chosen an estate version suited them and arranged to collect on Monday from Maidstone.

Both drivers seem very happy with them. The first thought his 2016 diesel version was really good and very smooth and he is blown away by how much better the new version is.

I have used Motorpoint to buy a few cars over the years, and (until this time) this was because they had been significantly cheaper than alternative sources. Appreciate that this might not be the case now. The fact that they are still going when other big companies have disappeared is reassuring to.

For the company we bought a Volvo S40 and then a Vauxhall Insignia. For personal use we bought a VW Eos that we traded in there a few years later for my wife's current 2017 Golf GTI and we bought that from them at about 9 months old for thousands off what we could get elsewhere and it had the perfect spec. We bought our daughter's immaculate Clio from there in 2019 also at less than a year old for a big saving and sold it just a few months ago for almost what she had paid for it which was great, as she no longer needs a car and had therefore seen no real depreciation over close to three years. What strange times we live in!

We have almost always had good service from the company, and a colleague here (who used to work for a now defunct rival) also said that Motorpoint had a very good reputation in the trade.

Any issues? Well, the visible damage on the bumper of one of the two cars this week wasn't great, but they are going to sort it which is good.

Only other negative I had was with a Golf R (original plan before the GTI) and when we got to their Chingford branch (at the time the closest to us, albeit not close) to see the car after paying a reservation fee we found that it did not have the built-in SatNav that we were promised it had (after specific checking). Also there was signs of a visible repair on a sill beneath a rear door that had been poorly repaired and painted, and a poorly repaired scuffed couple of alloys. Fair play to them, on pointing this out they were hugely apologetic and covered the costs for our time and fuel going there along with another apology.

The way it was handled did not put us off, hence the four cars bought from them since.

The positives have always outweighed the negatives. When we had been looking at Golf's at our local VW dealer, the hard-sell on all the extras (warranty, GAP insurance, etc, etc) was really off-putting and lost them the sale and therefore Motorpoint were refreshing in comparison.

Motorpoint - Fullchat
Anyone know if this performance we have to endure by attempting to upsell 'extras' is actually compulsory in law (as claimed to be) or just a revenue/commission stream? Particularly the GAP insurance?
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 16 Aug 23 at 17:19
 Motorpoint - Bromptonaut
>> Anyone know if this performance we have to endure by attempting to upsell 'extras' is
>> actually compulsory in law (as claimed to be) or just a revenue/commission stream? Particularly the
>> GAP insurance?

I suspect they're using what they have to go through before you're sold something, a requirement that follows multiple misselling scandals, as an opportunity for a sales pitch.

You cannot be missold something you chose not to buy.
 Motorpoint - CGNorwich
When I bought my car from DTD the guy who delivered it asked me if “I was interested in any crap like GAP insurance” I said no and arranged the transfer of funds and he gave me the keys.
 Motorpoint - R.P.
Ditto with the Audi through DTD. No guff from the dedicated DTD sales chap at the dealer. Good handover, took minutes.

In laws bought a Fiesta from Motorpoint. It was delivered with a chipped windscreen, it was replaced with no argument. I'd buy from them.

Fords of Winsford has a similar set-up to Motorpoint, they are well regarded as a no nonsense car supermarket locally.
 Motorpoint - bathtub tom
>> >> Anyone know if this performance we have to endure by attempting to upsell 'extras'
>> is
>> >> actually compulsory in law (as claimed to be) or just a revenue/commission stream? Particularly
>> the
>> >> GAP insurance?

Had to go through this when my daughter insisted on buying a new car. They put a '12-year-old- in-a-suit' up in front of us to (try) and explain all the details. I'd warned daughter, that as she was a cash buyer, we didn't have to listen to all this guff and to refuse everything.
 Motorpoint - Crankcase
My last purchase I’d said upfront I didn’t need the extras. He said he’d have to go through it but.

“But” turned out to be him sitting with the paperwork ticking boxes at the speed of light while quietly muttering to himself. Took about two minutes.
When I said I would buy the car a few days ago the salesman said

"Would you like Paint Protection?" - NO
"Would you like Motorpoint Warranty?" - NO - Honda car warranty
"Have you considered GAP Insurance?" NO

His offers were dismissed in about 10 seconds - he put his file away.

Many years ago I was buying a car and the salesman said " What would you do if your new car is a write-off? the insurance value might not buy another new car!"

Reply " That is my problem and nothing for you to worry about"
He then produced a piece of paper for me to confirm he had explained and I understood the potential loss for not taking GAP insurance.
 Motorpoint - Fullchat
In any event I believe GAP insurance can be sourced through 3rd parties at more favourable rates.
 Motorpoint - legacylad
I took out a 4 year GAP policy when I bought the Macan GTS.
Obviously not from the supplying dealer, but I thoroughly researched and bought it independently....think it was circa £400 as a one off payment, and should the vehicle be stolen and not recovered, or ultimately written off, then a new replacement would be found.

Seemed like a no brainier to me as prices would have increased....don’t know where they would get a new one from as there was a long waiting list , being built to order depending on the customers specification.
 Motorpoint - R.P.
I bought GAP through Hitachi many moons ago.
Picked up my nearly new CRV yesterday.
Fair length of time - I had taken off my plate and put back on the original plates from 11 years ago. Somewhere there was an issue with the DVLA and it took about 40 mins for their team @MPHQ to solve the issue.

New car was "as new condition", full set of mats/boot mat appeared from somewhere - not 3rd party but genuine Honda labelled! Last Tuesday I discovered the car had a 5 year Service pack which MP did know about. I phoned Honda as their "Service Pack on-line check" has disappeared from their website.

MP went over my car T/I more thoroughly than when they gave me a price but never tried to beat me down on their T/I price.

Apart from the delay in processing everything went well. The tea was good & in a proper mug - staff have paper cups!

Last week's painful bits
5 phone calls to LV - Change of plates, date of pickup and the fact that the car insurance renewed in the middle of all this caused grief. Wrong number insured on different days, ASKMID showing not insured when LV website had car covered on their policy emails to me.

£560 Road Tax

New car has masses of setup options, it was not clear to me what some meant but all good after 1.5 hours struggling and cured with 30 mins of eldest son's phone advice. He has a BMW & Jaguar with similar setup parameters.

Only driven 30+ miles in the rain, so no real comment on the car itself.

Motorpoint service?
Price was £2 - £2.5K less than Honda dealer's for 22/72Reg which were 6-12 months older +/ higher miles than my 23/1900 mile car. T/I typically £1000/£1200 more than both Toyota / Honda franchises offered in the last month.

The last Honda dealer had a brand new 2023 model in the showroom and, despite the 2024 model announcement, he only offered £1,000 off list price - I would not have bought it anyway - light beige interior!

Motorpoint - Bobby
All sounds good FB, happy motoring and get a big run up to Glencoe or similar to stretch its legs!
 Motorpoint - MD
Isn't there a Renault engine in that one?
Latest Forum Posts