Motoring Discussion > Car camping Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 4

Car camping - legacylad
Dumb question time. The last time I went car camping was in the early 80s....took my Mk1 Polo to Guernsey from Weymouth, then on Boxing Day drove the same Polo to Skye and camped a few hundred yards from the Sligachan Hotel.

Didn’t have hook ups in those days...on my forthcoming Spain trip it’s mainly rental accommodation and a week based in a hotel in Vielha, but I also plan on camping as and when.

I’ve yet to buy a cool box I can run off a 12v supply in the car ( whilst the engine is running) and for that I’ll need a lead to the hook up when on site. Any advice on what type of lead or are they all the same ?

I’m not bothering with cooking gear...I often ‘go cold’ when back packing and get hot food & drink when the opportunity arises. Obviously I have all the lightweight camping gear. And luxuries like a selection of several head torches and the latest down filled inflatable mats.
 Car camping - Bobby
My cool box has both 12V and 240v power.
Run it in car when travelling and then just plug into the socket in the tent when The tent is connected to the hook up.
 Car camping - Bromptonaut
Like Booby, I've a coolbox that runs on 12volts and can be connected to the cigar lighter type socket in the boot of either car. It was provided with a 240AC to 12DC transformer with a UK 13amp plug so it can be used in the caravan when on a mains hook up.

In France the standard 2 pin and earth continental type plug at the site bollord is being superseded by the type we use in the UK at (eg) CAMC sites.

Never ised leccy in a tent as a matter of pride but I;m sure there are UK/Continental and vv adapters available or for homebrew - we've a couple of Tesco 4 4x13amp short trailint leads where I've fittes a conti type plug for use in hotels and campsite common rooms.
 Car camping - tyrednemotional
...more and more continental sites are moving to the 16A plug output. you can guard against those that haven't by carrying an additional two-pin "Schuko" plug to 16A socket. (If you're going more off-the-beaten-track the chances of needing this are greater)

Specifically a "Schuko" type as this is compatible with two types of two-pin outlets; those that have a male earth pin in the socket, and those that earth via an edge connector between the socket and plug (much of France, and Germany respectively - I understand Spain is also the latter.)

You could get away with a simple 16A plug to trailing 13A socket(s), (Either straight or via a purchased reel), but given the outdoor use, and the state of some campsite electrics, I'd recommend a unit with inbuilt Residual Current protection (and some sites may insist on it). The following is simply an example:

www.towsure.com/camping-site-mains-supply-unit-3-outlet

...and this is an example of a two-pin to 16A adapter:

www.towsure.com/continental-mains-to-caravan-electric-adaptor

You can also get reels with 16A plugs and built-in residual current protection, but they are generally more expensive. You might also want to consider the length of cable (25m is conventional for caravans in the UK, you might get somewhat closer to the outlet with a tent).

If you want to take a chance, and already have a reel with a UK plug, then a combination of this, a plug-in RCD, and a couple of adapters (16a to UK socket, Schuko to UK socket) would probably work, but wouldn't be waterproof where/when required (the 16A connections are well-protected from moisture).
 Car camping - legacylad
Thanks a lot tyred. You lost me early on but I’ll give my head a shake and reread…links are great so I can get the correct stuff.
After arriving midday Santander I hope to drive to Aguero for the first two nights camping on a small site.
Recommended by my Spanish walking pals..check out the Mallos de Aguero…great walking and raptors overhead. Then a 4 hour drive to Vielha where we’re spending a week exploring the Val d’Aran before moving on to my Moraira rental and a different range of mountains in the Marina Alta.
Latest Forum Posts