Motoring Discussion > Toyota Auris - End of an era
Thread Author: Paul Robinson Replies: 2

Toyota Auris - End of an era - Paul Robinson
Back in 2010, having recently moved, and anticipating a quite life in the country, I bought a new Toyota Auris TR 1.6. It gave faultless service for the next 4 years and 50K miles - surprisingly brisk performance when necessary, if you kept the revs up and worked the 6 speed gearbox and averaging just under 40 mpg on supermarket petrol. Having got drawn into a role with a flourishing new business, I progressed to something more executive and the Auris went to number 2 daughter for the next 9 years, taking the mileage up to over 170K. Cosmetically a bit battered from Bristol City commuting and on street parking, it's needed remarkably little done to it apart from annual services, tyres, brake pads and discs. It did have a new battery at one point. The arrival of a company car for my daughter meant it became surplus and has now passed to my Son in law's brother who was having to do complicated detours in his old diesel VW to avoid the Bristol and Bath low emission zones. Hopefully it will continue on for sometime yet. It all seems to confirm the advice so often given in the forum that if you're looking for reliable, economical motoring, go Japanese/petrol/manual...
 Toyota Auris - End of an era - Dog
>>if you're looking for reliable, economical motoring, go Japanese/petrol/manual...

Nuffink wrong with Jap automatics - I've owned more than you can shake a stick at and never had any gyp.
 Toyota Auris - End of an era - legacylad
It all seems to confirm the advice so
>> often given in the forum that if you're looking for reliable, economical motoring, go Japanese/petrol/manual...
>>
Cant argue with that. Many years ago an ex of mine asked my advice on buying a mid sized hatch which would suit her requirements....good build quality, longevity, 5 door practicality.
I advised a Lexus IS200 Sport Cross, and she duly bought an almost new one. Great build quality and totally reliable until it died of rust problems, and needed some welding, about 6 months ago. It had dents and scrapes on every panel and was left outside, used and abused, for almost 20 years. The straight six 2.0 litre petrol was rather thirsty, but was a peach of an engine. She loved that car.

I couldn’t persuade her to buy another Lexus...she has an irrational dislike of auto boxes, so she bought a Yaris. As did I, but mine goes a tad quicker. Allegedly.
Latest Forum Posts