Motoring Discussion > Dacia Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 23

Dacia - Bobby
Dacia, I know you are value for money. I know everything is to a budget.
But is it seriously that much cheaper to have black reversing sensors on your car rather than bumper coloured ones?
Reminds me of the first ever after market sensors I ever saw.

Look naff.
 Dacia - R.P.
Oddly I was parked next to one in a Supermarket earlier and thinking exactly the same thing
 Dacia - Runfer D'Hills
I get what you both mean, but I also feel that the whole Dacia vibe is about not really caring about aesthetics or image and just being about having a car that does everything you need without costing as much.
I’d have a Duster or a Jogger in a heartbeat as a bike car (provided I had something else that tickled my fancy when it needed tickling)
;-)
 Dacia - tyrednemotional
>> (provided I had something else that tickled my fancy when it needed tickling)
>> ;-)
>>

...can't you train the dog.....?
 Dacia - Bobby
Yip, have previously said on here that my sister has a 7 seater Jogger.
Her son who had no interest in cars and was just looking for a cheap and hopefully hassle free car bought a brand new Sandero Stepway yesterday. Think it’s the Essential version so like its name suggests, it only has the Essential parts needed to be called a car. No frills. No extravagances.

But ticks his boxes perfectly.

(And yes someone will be along shortly to say but it’s got electric windows and power steering and they aren’t essential cos back when I was a lad and I turned the starting handle blah blah blah)
 Dacia - Runfer D'Hills
I’m sure I read somewhere that a huge proportion of car journeys are of less than 5 miles and an even greater number are less than 10 miles. Hard to imagine why those people would want or need anything more than the most basic of vehicles to use like that.
Unless of course it’s the garden ornament factor in play.

Dacia - CGNorwich
"I'm sure I read somewhere that a huge proportion of car journeys are of less than 5 miles and an even greater number are less than 10 miles. Hard to imagine why those people would want or need anything more than the most basic of vehicles to use like that.
Unless of course it's the garden ornament factor in play. "

Well I guess the majority of nearly everone's journeys are less than 5 miles and certainly less than ten. That is not to say they they never drive more that ten mile though is it? I suspect the number of drivers who only use their vehicles for journeys over ten miles is very small.

Cars are the same as other goods. do we really need a house as big as we live in? Do we really need those expensive jeans, Why not go to Skegness and not to Greece?

We could all go minimalist and buy only what we actually need but we don't and won't which in a capitalist economyn is just as well as if we did it would collapse tomorrow.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 18 Jun 23 at 12:20
 Dacia - Runfer D'Hills
All fair points CG, but it is at least an interesting set of values to explore. I’ll preface the rest of this by admitting that I’m just as guilty, if that’s the right word, of spending money on things I don’t need or could get cheaper, and have spent a lifetime in the business of encouraging others to do just that!
But, to take your analogies and burrow into them a bit deeper, the jeans might fulfill a purpose from morning until night, the holiday experience could be immersive 24/7 as could the house you choose to live in, but the car that gets light use is only providing any enhanced satisfaction or other benefits for very brief periods of time punctuated by many other hours of inactivity and purposelessness.
I get the Dacia proposal absolutely and completely, although I don’t yet own one and may never do so.
The cost/benefit analysis of premium car ownership is quite appalling if you stop to think about it.
Like most of course, I choose not to.
;-)
 Dacia - CGNorwich
"but the car that gets light use is only providing any enhanced satisfaction or other benefits for very brief periods of time punctuated by many other hours of inactivity and purposelessness."

Possibly true but who is to say that you shouldn't spend your money that way if that is what you want. Is the person driving 5,000 miles a year not as entitled to buy a luxury car as someone driving 20,000 miles? Sure they dont need to but why should they even have to make a case for it,
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 18 Jun 23 at 18:31
 Dacia - Runfer D'Hills
No need to make a case for anything, everyone is free to make their own choices. Just thought it was a little bit interesting to try to discuss why so many spend so much on something that provides so little.
 Dacia - CGNorwich
I understand what you are saying but I would say that your two premises are basically wrong.

What might be a lot of money to you might be small change to someone else

There is a satisfaction in ownership which goes beyond utility.

Dacia - Runfer D'Hills
With respect, I think you are (deliberately perhaps in the time honoured fashion of internet forums) misunderstanding my discussion point? I’m interested in exploring and understanding purchase motivations of luxury goods. As for my attitude to value, I find myself in the fortunate position in the Autumn of my years in having a good amount of disposable money.
To be clear, what I’m (or what I was anyway) interested in debating/discussing/exploring is what people think they are buying with significantly above averagely priced goods?
Is it really a purist attempt to buy a “quality” product, or is it in the hope of buying happiness, self esteem, the admiration or indeed envy of others? Google “Conspicuous consumption” if you’re interested in the subject. Is it perhaps an effort to enter an exclusive “club” or tribe? Is it peer or spousal pressure induced or is it nothing more than “I can, I want to so I just will” ?
Anyway if it’s all too boring, let’s just leave it there.
;-)
 Dacia - CGNorwich
I don’t think I’m misunderstanding your point and I think that I gave given you an answer that actually corresponds with l your last statement. People do indeed buy expensive things because they can, and want to. It’s a natural human tendency to acquire stuff and given the resource they will acquire stuff far beyond their actual needs. After all if they have an excess of money what else is there to do with it.

Of course they use all sort of reasons to justify their purchases, some of which you list, but at the end of the day we like owning things, whether we need them or not and that is the engine that powers our economy.

Last year I bought an electric car. Did I need a new car: no, the old one was fine. Could I justify the purchase on economic grounds, again no. I just wanted to own one because it was something different, a new experience and I could afford it. It’s as simple as that.

Dacia - Zero
>
>> We could all go minimalist and buy only what we actually need but we
>> don't and won't which in a capitalist economyn is just as well as if we
>> did it would collapse tomorrow.

I had a need and a want. I needed something big for the dogs, I needed something comfortable for 14k miles a year, I wanted a bit of luxury and enjoyment. Mine is far from a "garden ornament"
 Dacia - sooty123
When needs and wants align it makes big purchases much easier.
 Dacia - Fullchat
"Why not go to Skegness and not to Greece?"

You were doing alright up to that point :))
 Dacia - Biggles
I always thought electrically adjustable seating to be a total waste of time but beginning to change my view. It used to be that my wife would only rarely drive 'my' car but now I am going to work by rail, she uses it more. Also, the only seating change she would make was simply moving the seat forward. That is now combined with putting the seat back more vertical. Annoys me every time.
 Dacia - Runfer D'Hills
Memory seats can save marriages.
 Dacia - legacylad
>> Memory seats can save marriages.
>>
My 2004 BMW 330 had a 3 memory drivers seat. A very useful feature
:-)
 Dacia - tyrednemotional
...ménage à trois...?
 Dacia - Bobby
especially if linked to folding mirrors??
 Dacia - smokie
Years ago I had a Rover 827 which had memory seats, mirrors and, IIRC, steering column height.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 19 Jun 23 at 13:38
 Dacia - Runfer D'Hills
It really is a feature I value. We swop cars around a fair bit in our household and I am 10” taller than my wife so we have very different driving positions. Press a pre-set button and hey flipping presto eh? ;-)
 Dacia - Dog
Chap turns up earlier to collect a 2m high fridge-freezer.

I expected 'im to turn up in a van.

"Y'all never get a 2m tall fridge-freezer in that there Dacia Jogger, sez I"

He/we did ... I is impressed much!
Latest Forum Posts