Motoring Discussion > Rowan Atkinson on electric Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 13

Rowan Atkinson on electric - Bobby
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/03/electric-vehicles-early-adopter-petrol-car-ev-environment-rowan-atkinson

Interesting take, one which I kind of agree on.
 Rowan Atkinson on electric - Kevin
I'm surprised that he studied the same subjects as me (Elec/Electronic engineering and then Control Engineering. I bet he wishes that he'd carried on until he collected his pension.
 Rowan Atkinson on electric - Lygonos
Hydrogen is already dead for cars - it fails on pretty much every level, be it initial creation, transport/storage, or delivery to vehicles. It has zero potential as a fuel for the majority of road vehicles.

Batteries seem to be able to last 15-25 years - even the crappy ones in early LEAF 24kWh are still typically 70-75% capacity at 10 years old (have a look on autotrader for 2012-2014 cars and see how many battery health bars are showing), and they cycle much more, and lack any active cooling, compared with the larger packs in newer cars which should last even longer

Plenty of taxis are now either EV or range-extender EVs.

Vans and light trucks are increasingly available as EVs (though pretty pricey), as are plenty of buses.

Trucks are on their way.

Article looks like the sort of FUD we were seeing 5 or 6 years ago.

EVs are not the answer of anything other than getting away from oil dependency and cleaning up urban air (both laudable aims) - reducing the number of vehicles ripping around with a single occupant would be a much more useful aim than changing the motive force in the vehicles alone.

And as for Blackadder having any moral high ground for sustainable transport, have a look at the stuff he has owned (and smashed/been burned for speeding in).
 Rowan Atkinson on electric - wotspur
Since the introduction of electric vehicles ,and the increase in pot holes , is there a correlation with all these much heavier vehicles . I like `ROWAN don’t think electric cars are that great for the environment
 Rowan Atkinson on electric - Lygonos
Potholes are caused mostly by goods vehicles and freeze/thaw, along with crappy spot repairs.

All vehicles are heavier than 30 years ago, and as EVs still account for a few % of total road vehicles it's pretty obvious is has SFA to do with EVs per se.
 Rowan Atkinson on electric - Runfer D'Hills
I suppose there was always going to be a period of transition where the new technology could fit well with some people and less so with others.
The short term irony is that those who would benefit most and indeed benefit the environment most from clean energy usage are the ones least able to adapt to it in its present form.
If you’re a high mileage driver with a time agenda it’s still quite convenient to use a diesel.
Then there’s the sector of society that would benefit most from lower fuel costs who can’t access it because they can’t afford the vehicle that uses it.
However, all that said, I’m pleased that alternatives are being explored and developed and when the technology and infrastructure has caught up with my needs and wants, I’ll embrace it. For now though, I’ll plod on with my out of date but tried and tested ICE vehicles.
 Rowan Atkinson on electric - smokie
"As an EV driver"... I wouldn't argue with that Humph, the cars and infrastructure are really still in "early adopter" mode and massively suit some (e.g. me) but less so others, for the reasons you've outlined. The charging infrastructure is growing quickly but not always in the right places (i.e. motorways), and there's still problems with how those who can't charge at home manage.

Nevertheless the growing number of early adopters will flush out the issues and in a few years technical advances and better understanding will take away most of the issues. (Except of course poorer people not being able to afford to buy a new car - but by then there will be a more healthy second hand market which will slowly filter down).

I do think the press tend to paint just the gloomy side of the picture, which is what people pick up on and which becomes their truth, without any real knowledge, understanding or thought. Driving an EV is something of a pleasure, really smooth and quiet, seems cheap enough in running costs and quicker off the mark than many ICE cars for those that need a buzz.
 Rowan Atkinson on electric - Duncan
Does anyone has a forecast when the number of electric cars on the road will pass the number of ICE cars?

A day, date and time would be good.
 Rowan Atkinson on electric - Crankcase
Driving an EV is something of a pleasure, really smooth and
>> quiet, seems cheap enough in running costs and quicker off the mark than many ICE
>> cars for those that need a buzz.
>>

Having owned an EV and tested a few, I'd say they aren't significantly smoother or quieter than my Superb. Also not found one, even at 50k, that's anything like as nice to be in or have such a nice feel to it.

I can't get a smart meter as we are polyphase. Therefore no access to EV tariffs. Therefore no cheaper to run.

Quicker off the mark to about 40, after that, not so much, unless it's in the Tesla league.

Add in my pattern of driving, and all the horrors of public charging that would be necessary, and pure EV doesn't work for me at all.

So, Evs, great for many people, not at all interesting to those of us in my circs.

However, the Superb is a Phev, so for 30 to 40 miles it's all good stuff, even if costs the same as petrol
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 16 Jun 23 at 16:35
Yes, I do get that they aren't for all for one reason or another. I still find driving it a pleasure, and I expect many would be pleasantly surprised. The public charging can be a bit of a mare so if I were dependent on regular public charging I'd be thinking again, but there are new charge points popping up all the time, in quite large numbers I understand.

I had the Ampera (PHEV) for a couple of years before going fully EV, that was a useful intro for me.

Btw I'm pretty sure you can, in theory at least, now get a SMETS 2 smart meter on three phase (- is that the same as poly phase?) and therefore get the Octopus EV rates. I'm sure I read about it on the Octopus forums. Other brands may also be available!! :-)
 Rowan Atkinson on electric - Crankcase
Three phase smart meter: I asked Octopus. I had an (amazingly unprofessional) reply saying, effectively, no idea. But they'd let me know. They never did.

I asked Ovo. No idea, they'd let me know. Never did.

I asked EDF. No idea, they'd let me know. Never did.

Sigh.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 16 Jun 23 at 16:58
 Rowan Atkinson on electric - Terry
An estimate:

electriccarguide.co.uk/how-to-get-3-phase-power-at-home/

At probably between £3-6k you would probably say "no" even if the energy companies had the courtesy to reply
I think he already has the three phase Terry.
 Rowan Atkinson on electric - sooty123
I can't get a smart meter as we are polyphase. Therefore no access to EV
>> tariffs. Therefore no cheaper to run.
>>

Not cheaper to run in comparison to what an ICE? Is a non ev tariff expensive?

Latest Forum Posts