Motoring Discussion > Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Kevin Replies: 19

Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - Kevin
A question for motorhome/shed tuggers.

How are the electrics setup in modern(ish) motorhomes and caravans? Specifically with regards to site hookups to AC. Do they all have power converters, if so what is the typical output current rating for the DC side of the converter?

The reason I am asking is that I'm wanting a (cheap secondhand) DC power supply that can maintain 40 to 50A at ~13V. Used marine units are going for hundreds of quid where I'm hoping to spend less than £100.
 Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - tyrednemotional
...how long is a piece of string...?

Most nowadays will have an AC to DC power supply/charger, but the nominal operation range is likely to be 13.8 to 14.8V, 15 to 20A.
 Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - Bromptonaut
The DC in a caravan is intended to provide light etc if off the mains. On our caravan that's half a dozen low wattage LED lights plus a cigar lighter type plug for a TV or similar. It'll also power the fan for gas heating. Mover is the only heavy duty 12v device and that runs directly from the battery via a discrete circuit.

Probably, there's a good reason why the boat kit you mention is costly.
 Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - Fullchat
Can the fridge work on 12V?
 Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - Robbie34
Why would you want a 50 amp supply? Caravans and motorhomes use the low voltage for lighting The fridge usually works on gas/ 12v/ mains voltage. The 12 volt is used to power the fridge when travelling and not when parked up.
A replacement power supply unit can be got on ebay. www.ebay.co.uk/b/Caravan-Power-Supplies/bn_7024954765
..I'm assuming he's looking for a high-current c12V power supply for reasons other than powering caravan habitation electrics, and wondering whether that market might be a cheap second-hand source of one.

As I've posted above, the general provision for caravans/motorhomes isn't really playing in the space much above 18A-20A (and the voltage range varies somewhat, slightly above the nominal 12V).

A reasonable quality "caravan" charger/power supply up to, say, 20A can be obtained for something around £200 new, above that, the price rises steeply for increasing amperage.

(The biggest demand on an installed unit is likely to be for charging a somewhat depleted battery, not powering low-power domestic consumers).
>.I'm assuming he's looking for a high-current c12V power supply for reasons other than powering
>caravan habitation electrics, and wondering whether that market might be a cheap second-hand
>source of one.

Correct.
 Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - Biggles
A cheap 12V/600W supply is around £40. Any specific requirements?
It's an odd requirement Biggles. Those cheap units advertised on ebay are primarily for constant current loads like LEDs and I've been told that their continuous maximum current rating is somewhat ambitious.
>> Can the fridge work on 12V?
>>

...three-way fridges are designed to work on Gas (off-grid), 230V (on-grid), and 12V (generally only when mobile and the alternator is providing power). You wouldn't want to run these fridges off 12V (via a power supply/charger) when 230V is available, you'd simply use that 230V. (Most installations inhibit it, but I can actually switch mine to 12V whether the engine is running or not, but it takes about 15A so you don't do that for long).

It has become more common to install 12V compressor fridges, particularly in campervans). These work only off 12V, supplied either solely by the battery, or via the battery but with it being topped up by a 230V/12V power supply/charger. (and, of course, solar where fitted).
 Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - Fullchat
Obliged. Got rid of my last caravan in 2007. Of course now you refresh the memory 12V was for travelling conditions.
>Probably, there's a good reason why the boat kit you mention is costly.

The marine jobbies come with inflatable prices because the salvage yards know that boat owners are awash with cash. Poor pensioners like myself can't afford to bow to those prices and have to keep a lookout for alternatives and keep our finances on an even keel or we'd soon be on the rocks.
 Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - Bromptonaut
>> The marine jobbies come with inflatable prices because the salvage yards know that boat owners
>> are awash with cash. Poor pensioners like myself can't afford to bow to those prices
>> and have to keep a lookout for alternatives and keep our finances on an even
>> keel or we'd soon be on the rocks.

Demand for commodity is more than supply. There's a market where folks will pay an f*** load of cash to get what they want.

Ain't capitalism a bitch...

>There's a market where folks will pay an f*** load of cash to get what they want.

I fathomed that out. There needs to be some leeway in prices but some of the pirates should be hauled before a jury and given a stern beating.
 Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - smokie
Oar maybe knot...
 Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - Zero
>> Oar maybe knot...

He's screwed. Gonna need someone to bail him out.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 2 Jun 23 at 17:11
...that's R0wlocks.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Fri 2 Jun 23 at 17:26
>He's screwed. Gonna need someone to bail him out.

Thanks mate.
 Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - bathtub tom
>> Thanks mate.

Shouldn't that be matelot?
 Motorhome/Caravan AC Hookups - Zero

>> The reason I am asking is that I'm wanting a (cheap secondhand) DC power supply
>> that can maintain 40 to 50A at ~13V.

I have no idea what you are planning that needs a maintained 50amps of 13 volts!!! Used to build 50 amp power supplies back int the days of pirate ham radio and 1kw transmitters, using big torriod transformers.

Anyway, if 50 amps is peak not working and cheap is the name of the games, A 12v caravan leisure battery and charger is the way to go. YOu may look at 3d printer or laser engraver/cutter spares, think they use large amounts of 13.8v dc.

Latest Forum Posts