Motoring Discussion > DVLA Cock Up Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 12

DVLA Cock Up - Robbie34
I changed my car on 3rd April and have not yet received a refund of six months tax for my previous vehicle. I had my personal plate transfewrred to my new car.
I applied online for my refund and I learned yesterday that DVLA have refunded me the tax on my new car from 1st June.
I managed to get through on the 'phone and asked them to cancel the refund on my new car. However, they said it can't be done as they have sent a cheque by post.
I despair. I pay my tax by direct debit so why send a cheque? IThey still haven't refunded my tax on my old car. Probably because they are working from home.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 12 May 23 at 13:16
 DVLA Cock Up - Bromptonaut
Not sure I've understood this but....

You traded in your old car in early April. On that basis you should get a refund for May and any subsequent months validity. When you picked up the new car you'd presumably have paid the tax on line.

It now seems that instead of refunding you on the car you traded they've refunded the new one.

On the face then you're untaxed?

I guess there's some sort of issue because of the personal plate and/or fat fingers.

I don't see why WAH would affect it either way. When I worked from home as a Civil Servant it was the same laptop as I took into London on office days. It looked, felt and operated exactly the same in either, or any, place.

I'll finger failure to invest by governments of both stripes over many, many years so that DVLA's systems cannot do bank transfers or can only do so within limited parameters.
 DVLA Cock Up - Robbie34
I spoke to them yesterday and my car is taxed until 31st May.
I used their online system to request the refund from my previous car. Goodness knows how they confused the situation. As I pay by direxct debit why didn't they pay the refund into my bank account? I will now have the problem of trying to pay in the cheque. HSBC have closed all of the local branches and I don't have any slips to pay in at a Post Office.
In any case, common sense should understand that you don't ask for a tax refund for a month old car.
 DVLA Cock Up - CGNorwich
All refunds for vehicle tax are dealt with by issuing a cheque for unexpired months sent to the registred address. No other method of payment is possible
 DVLA Cock Up - Duncan
>> All refunds for vehicle tax are dealt with by issuing a cheque for unexpired months
>> sent to the registred address. No other method of payment is possible

Nonsense. There are a number of other methods of repayment which are possible. I suggest the word you are thinking of is 'permitted'.
>> Nonsense. There are a number of other methods of repayment which are possible. I suggest
>> the word you are thinking of is 'permitted'.

If, for whatever reason, the computer system you have to use provides only for cheques and not bank transfers then from the employee's position 'not possible' is a perfectly reasonable response.

Been there, done that, spent many hours authorising payments and sending out cheques by post.
 DVLA Cock Up - Duncan
>> I used their online system to request the refund from my previous car. Goodness knows
>> how they confused the situation.

Don't forget, they are Welsh.
>> Don't forget, they are Welsh.

Oy!!

My Grandson and his Father were both born at the Maelor in Wrexham and are Welsh!!
 DVLA Cock Up - Duncan
I rest my case.
 DVLA Cock Up - VxFan
>> I will now have the problem of trying to pay in the cheque.

I last paid in a cheque using my Barclays App. They accept a photo of it. One or two security checks are made via mobile PINsentry and that's it.

I presume other banks offer a similar online service?
 DVLA Cock Up - Kevin
Natwest accept cheques via the app. There's a limit on cheque value and it's a bit fussy about photo quality but does work.
 DVLA Cock Up - tyrednemotional
...not sure I understand this.

As tax no longer flows over change of ownership, filling in, detaching and submitting the V5c transfer section on sale/disposal should automatically generate a tax refund.

The existing owner should (must) do this, but if the full V5c has been passed to the new owner/dealer there is no guarantee it has happened. The DVLA can hardly be held at fault if this process hasn't been followed.

I could understand subsequent problems if the following online request for refund was by VRM (given that DVLA records would probably now associate this with the new vehicle). I'm not in a position to check at the moment, but AIUI a refund request is via the V5c reference, not the VRM.

I am thus confused.
 DVLA Cock Up - Robbie34
Had a 'phone call from the DVLA this morning. They are re-instating me as the registered keeper of my new car and will send me a new log book.
They are blaming the dealer for sending wrong information relating to the log book and not notifying them of change of ownership. I also received an email saying that as I was the registered keeper of my old vehicle in both April and May, I am not entitled to a refund for May. I should have received a refund for six months from May to POctober, inclusive.
Latest Forum Posts